AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

dogeddie Avatar
dogeddie Silver Member Andy L
Kaukauna, WI, USA   USA
Thank you

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
S1 Elan Kurt. Appley
Akron, Ia., USA   USA
I was rebuilding a wrecked XKE but I imagine all British cars of that era had a similiar set up. Did the car in the 1970's so don't really remember what was necessary to resurrect it.

Kurt

dogeddie Avatar
Kaukauna, WI, USA   USA
I wish I knew for sure if that's what happened before I rip into it. If anyone has a car they can verify the dimension of the cowl lip to the end of the steering bolt per my picture previously attached, that would be awesome!!

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
1974MGMidget Avatar
1974MGMidget Silver Member Jack Orkin
Grayson, GA, USA   USA
The upper part has that mesh looking material which, I guess, is part of the energy absorbing design. If so, it may keep the upper and lower from freely sliding in and out.

littlecars Avatar
littlecars David Bassett
Nashville, TN, USA   USA
1965 Chevrolet Corvair "Ski Team Transport SOLD!"
1965 MG Midget MkII "Buffoon"
1966 MG Midget MkII "Swiss Cheese...SCRAPPED"
1970 Triumph Spitfire MkIII "Tamara's Turd... SOLD!!!"    & more
Couldn't you just shave off whatever is scraping the wheel from the plastic cowl behind it?

On my 1974, I gave the steering column a good whack with a mallet to remove the original spoke metal wheel and all that happened was I crushed the first thread where the nut goes on. A while back (maybe three years?) someone on this forum showed how to rebuild all the shear stuff on a collapsible column using a combination of JB Weld and plastic explosive putty! I remember because of the jokes that ensued regarding the explosive! grinning smiley

littlecars Avatar
littlecars David Bassett
Nashville, TN, USA   USA
1965 Chevrolet Corvair "Ski Team Transport SOLD!"
1965 MG Midget MkII "Buffoon"
1966 MG Midget MkII "Swiss Cheese...SCRAPPED"
1970 Triumph Spitfire MkIII "Tamara's Turd... SOLD!!!"    & more
In reply to # 3713451 by dogeddie This is what I have right now if anyone has one in a similar state to check. I do realize the cowl lip sits in the steering wheel boss - thanks

Just a quick note Andy. In the photo you attached, looks like you stripped the threads for the nut that holds the whole works on. It may be the photo, but the shaft looks slightly bent too.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-04-09 03:03 PM by littlecars.

dogeddie Avatar
Kaukauna, WI, USA   USA
In reply to # 3713737 by littlecars
In reply to # 3713451 by dogeddie This is what I have right now if anyone has one in a similar state to check. I do realize the cowl lip sits in the steering wheel boss - thanks

Just a quick note Andy. In the photo you attached, looks like you stripped the threads for the nut that holds the whole works on. It may be the photo, but the shaft looks slightly bent too.

I think that is just grease on the threads. I don't think it is bent. We really did not hit this thing all that hard - that's why I would be surprised if it was a shear pin.

dogeddie Avatar
Kaukauna, WI, USA   USA
In reply to # 3713736 by littlecars Couldn't you just shave off whatever is scraping the wheel from the plastic cowl behind it?

On my 1974, I gave the steering column a good whack with a mallet to remove the original spoke metal wheel and all that happened was I crushed the first thread where the nut goes on. A while back (maybe three years?) someone on this forum showed how to rebuild all the shear stuff on a collapsible column using a combination of JB Weld and plastic explosive putty! I remember because of the jokes that ensued regarding the explosive! grinning smiley

I could scrape it, not a bad idea, but if the pins are sheared wouldn't that be bad to use it like that?

76lucas Avatar
76lucas Gold Member Josh L
Floyd, VA, USA   USA
1978 MG Midget 1500
1979 MG Midget 1500 "Parts Car"
Took a look at both of my cars. The wheel is off the brown car it measures 2 inches but I know the pins are broke in it so it maybe pulled out. After looking at the cowl pic again I am thinking if the shaft had collapsed than the wheel would rub all the way around but by the pic it's only rubbing at the top. Is it possible the mounting tabs for the rear cowl screws are bent throwing the cowl forward? From what I saw on both of my cars it is possible to get to the pins with the column in the car. I could only get a small amount of movement from the brown car's column. The second pic shows the area where the pins are at seems like it would be doable without pulling it all apart again. One thing I did see is that your wheel and column are different than mine which may be the 1/2 difference in the two.

If you never try to do it You will never be able to do it

Attachments:
20180409_182303.jpg    28 KB
20180409_182303.jpg

20180409_182530.jpg    31.9 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
dogeddie Avatar
Kaukauna, WI, USA   USA
I will take another closer look. Thanks for taking the time to help!

dogeddie Avatar
Kaukauna, WI, USA   USA
I read what Josh said and took these pics. I do see the pins. Is there a way to tell if they are sheared without disassembly?

Also, note the arrow further up the column in the 1st pic. It looks like maybe there is a ring where possibly the shaft used to be at that height inside the upper part, meaning it dropped? Or am I seeing something wrong?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-04-09 06:31 PM by dogeddie.

Attachments:
IMG_0055.JPG    42.5 KB
IMG_0055.JPG

IMG_0056.JPG    42.7 KB
76lucas Avatar
76lucas Gold Member Josh L
Floyd, VA, USA   USA
1978 MG Midget 1500
1979 MG Midget 1500 "Parts Car"
Can you move the section the arrow points to up? If so I would think that would tell you the pins were sheared and the column had dropped. I read the tech article on the B column repair there are three ways shown to fix it. One I wouldn't do and that is make it solid the other two would allow it to collapse But you would need to make sure everything was back in the right place before you did it.

If you never try to do it You will never be able to do it

dogeddie Avatar
Kaukauna, WI, USA   USA
I cannot get it to move, although there isn't a good way to try. I tapped a drift pin where the shafts intersect to try to get it to move up, or towards the steering wheel, but it would not go. But I didn't smash it either.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-04-09 07:54 PM by dogeddie.

CRH Charley H
Prospect, KY, USA   USA
Andy,

If you bolt the steering wheel back onto the shaft, can you pull / push the column in and out by pulling & pushing the wheel? While I don't know for sure, it seems to me that you could if the pins are sheared. You might try searching for steering column stuff on the MGB section that is associated with Gerry Masterson. He is well known for rebuilding MGB columns.

Edit: I just noticed that Gerry wrote the tech article that I cited earlier.

Charley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-04-09 09:23 PM by CRH.

oleanderjoe Avatar
oleanderjoe Gold Member Joseph Baba
Fresno, CA, USA   USA
They slip in and out pretty easy. The one in my MGBGT I lowered (3) Three inches because of the custom dash work. I suggest like was previously mentioned, Slightly raise the inner shaft, install the wheel, set your cowl to wheel clearance, drill and pin the two together either with a roll pin, plastic pin or whatever. Your decision, just my recommendation.

Member Services:

Attachments:
MY MGBGT AND LAMP 006.jpg    66.8 KB
MY MGBGT AND LAMP 006.jpg

MY MGBGT AND LAMP 009.jpg    57.7 KB

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster