AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

In Search of - Hardtop Seals
  This topic is about my 1972 MG Midget
JeffinMI Avatar
JeffinMI Gold Member Jeff Baran
West Bloomfield, MI, USA   USA
Hi All:

I was able to find a hardtop for my 1972 Midget. Its in ok shape. Needs a respray, but I'd like to remove the seals for the rear window and side quarter windows. Problem is that the seals are weathered and I suspect I will damage them on the way out. The look brittle and should be replaced. Real problem now is that I can't seem to find anyone that carry's them. I checked the MacGregor site as I have used their product in the past and they show the parts listed, but not available. I will try and phone them to get their opinion, but I thought I would throw the request out here as well to see if anyone has solved the problem.

I should mention that the style of the hardtop is what I believe to be a factory fiberglass. Attached is a photo of the style of hardtop. Not my exact top as I don't have a picture handy.

The header rail seems to be available and I think the rear seal for the top to rear deck is available, although that one I could probably find some sort of replacement if needed.

Anyway, any help/leads would be appreciated.

Thanks, Jeff

1972 MG Midget - Currently Under restoration

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
$_86.JPG    51.5 KB
$_86.JPG

djclinton Avatar
djclinton Dennis Clinton
Mesquite, NV, USA   USA
1964 Ford Ranchero "Red Rocket"
1966 Other Custom "Green Machine"
1979 MG Midget 1500 "Bridgette(brown Midget)"
I had to use an aftermarket seal for the glass on mine. It does not have a place for the chrome strip. Bought the seal from dkhardware.com I used aftermarket closed cell weatherstripping for the header(above the windscreen).

73midget Avatar
73midget Chris Edwards
Garland, TX, USA   USA
the top pictured is a factory top. I don't think application specific seals are available anywhere I know of, but if you search for car window or windshield seals, you can buy the closest available profile by the foot and trim it out. I briefly had a hardtop and i just searched for 2 part windshield seals on ebay and bought them to measure. (I ended up selling it because it was an aftermarket and I really wanted a factory top. Also, I live in Texas and don't really need one.)

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
AN5L8016 Avatar
AN5L8016 Mark Haynes
Nederland, CO, USA   USA
Try Macgregor's -They usually have every type of seal used for most British cars with and without hardtops
MacGregor's

'58 Bugeye
'05 Mini Cooper S

Dutch 1960 Avatar
Dutch 1960 Mark Holland
San Diego, CA, USA   USA
Www.steelerubber.com. Look through the universal parts section.

Ashley-Hinton Avatar
Ashley-Hinton Ashley Hinton
Gt Bookham, Surrey, UK   GBR
Hi I have the Mounting brackets if you need some of part number AHA8082
Regards Ashley Hinton

Attachments:
DSC00724.JPG    20.8 KB
DSC00724.JPG

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster