Website undergoing maintenance, connection may be intermittent
MGExp

MG Midget Forum

Doesn't anyone write in complete sentences and use correct grammar anymore??

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

dickmoritz Avatar
dickmoritz Platinum Member Dick Moritz
Philly 'burbs, PA, USA   USA
I used to work in Nigeria

Are you the guy who keeps emailing me offering me a million dollars???? eye popping smiley

Dick

In reply to # 3713425 by NOHOME Being as this place is perused by a more senior population, the prose is much better than forums where the median age is under 30. Try a Facebook forum dealing with import cars if you want a lesson in anthropology as it applies to written communication.

I used to work in Nigeria where understanding the local slang could be tricky even though it technically WAS English. Instead of being corrected, one of the locals taught me "Listen to what I mean". It was a breakthrough in communications that I use to this day.

Pete

Errabundi Saepe, Semper Certi
(Often wrong, but always certain)

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
flat350 Avatar
flat350 Steve Alleman
Schaumburg, IL, USA   USA
If you want to understand some of the new lingo,cruise through the Craigslist postings now and then.There have been post's on that site that almost give me a headache,but I still stumble through them if I'm interested.

This site is usually a piece of cake to understand the meaning or question within a post.

1971 MG Midget MKIII

littlecars Avatar
littlecars David Bassett
Nashville, TN, USA   USA
1965 Chevrolet Corvair "Ski Team Transport SOLD!"
1965 MG Midget MkII "Buffoon"
1966 MG Midget MkII "Swiss Cheese...SCRAPPED"
1970 Triumph Spitfire MkIII "Tamara's Turd... SOLD!!!"    & more
In reply to # 3712926 by dimini Here’s my take on the decline of the written word:

If there were a poll taken, my guess is that most folks are now viewing forums on hand-held devices.

Joe T, if you are a glutton for punishment, I dare you to visit a Honda forum!

If there >>WAS<< a poll taken. smiling bouncing smiley So, my first college course in Mass Communications was a class entitled "rhetoric" in which we would reconfigure phrases that could be more concise (for use in news reporting). Like others have said on this forum -- with a little patience one can usually decipher enough to know if a thread is worth reading even if the elocution is a bit knackered. Also agree that the demonstrated level of education here on MGE far outweighs the kind you might find on the Honda forum or, heaven forbid, the muscle car forums. We are a much kinder bunch, too! And, we know what a pint of Guinness tastes like and can extoll its virtues. smileys with beer

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
littlecars Avatar
littlecars David Bassett
Nashville, TN, USA   USA
x2 reading Craigslist posts.

I've bought my last four project cars from Craigslist posts. Ya gotta love the ALL CAPS RUN ON SENTENCE LISTING FOR SOMETHING THAT IS GARBAGE BUT "THESE THINGS ARE RARE AND NORMALLY SELL FOR $400K ON BARRETT JACKSON." Better are the posts for vehicles obviously sitting in pieces with a fuzzy photo of the car as found. Bottom swimmers of the gene pool, If you think I'm gonna fix what you screwed up, and step over 40 years of hoarding detritus to tow the thing away, I'll have no part of your situation comedy!

pixelsmithusa Avatar
On the particularly bad ones, i.e. no punctuation, no capitalization, I can't be bothered to read them. I contribute to too many forums to waste time where it's not important enough for the writer to take the time to communicate clearly. Certain spelling errors, i.e. "breaks" instead of "brakes" or "peddle" instead of "pedal", but the meaning is still easily understood. Many times, errors are due to autocorrect or transposing letters when typing. For those who care, here's a free browser extension that will help greatly, especially with unintentional or spelling errors. It works extremely well.

https://www.grammarly.com/

In reply to # 3712925 by Chas 906 I always hit spell check on every e-mail I send out. I've always taken great pride in my spelling and punctuation. Don't see a spell check option on this tool bar. If it does exist, someone please let us know.

Gerard

http://gerardsgarage.com/

Skeezix Avatar
Skeezix Rob Klyver
Playa Del Rey, CA, USA   USA
No.

61 Midget Mk 1 GAN1L/294*

doc50 thom w
wildomar, CA, USA   USA
1959 Triumph TR3A
1973 MG C-Type Midget "Midge"
ROFLMAO LOL...Maybe relax a bit,. Joe (I have a Doctorate and use that type of shorthand, though rarely and usually with my 50 y/o son. ....not 'Gregg Shorthand', as that's my wife's milieu.

trowe9 Avatar
trowe9 Gold Member Tracy Rowe
Baxter Springs, KS, USA   USA
I apologize as my posts have been focused on asking questions or helping someone. I had no idea proper English was an issue. I will try to do better. With that said even trying I'm not very good at it. I would appreciate you not get frustrated with me as I will give it my best shot.

73MGBee Roy K
Scott Base, The Cold Bit, Antarctica   ATA
Seriously, spelling??? This is exactly why one is hesitant to join these forums as they all tend to degrade to things like this. If I were looking to improve my writing skills I would have joined a writer's forum. I've only been on here a very short time and can already see it to be a complete waste of it.

I trust my spelling was sufficient so as to be understood?

Adios.

trowe9 Avatar
trowe9 Gold Member Tracy Rowe
Baxter Springs, KS, USA   USA
This is an awesome site with an amazing amount of help and resources. Hope you stay as the main focus is helping each other not critiquing grammer and spelling.

trevorwj Avatar
trevorwj Trevor Jessie
Louisville, KY, USA   USA
I prefer a judgement free forum where people can offend without being judged and people can get offended without being judged for being offended ... and there is no "band-wagoning" ... and people are free to contradict themselves ... and poor grammar is tolerated because of beer.

devil smiley

Midget 50th - A Spridget Event
It was a Blast!
http://sprite-midgetclub.org/

Speedracer Avatar
Speedracer Platinum Member Hap Waldrop
Greenville, SC, USA   USA
1967 MG MGB Racecar "The Biscuit"
Not just no, but HELL NO, but I give great advice based on actual experience, as many others do, so decide what you want from this site Joe, an English major, or someone that can help you fix your freaking car. Joe if you are on the fence about staying here due to this utter bullshit, then by all means let me help you by holding the door open for you, have a nice life you OCD DH moon

Hap Waldrop
Acme Speed Shop
864-370-3000
hapwaldrop@acmespeedshop.com

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2018-04-10 09:21 AM by Speedracer.

Member Services:
MG/ Triumph Performance Street/Race Engines - Cylinder Head Porting - Modified SU HS Carbs - DIY Engine Rebuild Kits With Free Tech Advice - VTO alloy wheels for British Sport Cars, and others
66jalopy Avatar
66jalopy Silver Member Phillip Jolliffe
Lake City, FL, USA   USA
As a Brit that left for South America after 6th grade I will try my best. The rest of my schooling was in spanish, 20 years later came to Florida. I could not understand southern when I got here, now I do. Then there is the difference between Brit/Yank parts. Is it the bonnet/hood? what colour/color? Bashed in my near side mudguard today.

littlecars Avatar
littlecars David Bassett
Nashville, TN, USA   USA
Phillip, is that the starboard or port side of the Minor? grinning smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-04-10 09:54 AM by littlecars.

66jalopy Avatar
66jalopy Silver Member Phillip Jolliffe
Lake City, FL, USA   USA
exactly confused smiley

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster