MGExp

MG Midget Forum

Doesn't anyone write in complete sentences and use correct grammar anymore??

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

infinity2018 Avatar
infinity2018 Joe T
Denver, CO, USA   USA
1979 MG Midget 1500 "Inca"
These threads are getting harder and harder to read and understand with the lack of any semblance of grammar being used. It gets very frustrating to have to stop midway in a post to have to decipher/translate what people are saying. I think part of it can be attributed to the "smart" phone generation who use predictive text so they don't need to know how to spell or put a sentence together, but I've noticed that older people do it just as much as the younger people. What's going on here?? I'd stopped to think that maybe some of the people who post are very young so haven't had grammar classes in elementary school yet, but that just can't be. It makes me have to take a step back and re-evaluate my fellow man and the direction that humanity is going: are we getting better or worse??? It's a frightening thing to think about. As a result, I'm on the fence about continuing membership of this site and at this point of frustration could take it or leave it..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-04-07 10:20 PM by infinity2018.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
oleanderjoe Avatar
oleanderjoe Gold Member Joseph Baba
Fresno, CA, USA   USA
JOE. That is, part of it but I sometimes use my iPad and with voice dictation, you can get some weird stuff. Example; l am going to repost this reply with voice dictation and see what SIRI, COMES UP. confused smiley

Member Services:
oleanderjoe Avatar
Fresno, CA, USA   USA
Joe that is part of it but would voice dictation sometimes you get some weird stuff I’m going to repost this with voice actuation let’s see what happens bye Well we got wood instead of with but that’s not too bad could be worse cheers

Member Services:
humbucker Avatar
humbucker Silver Member Paul Whitworth
Toronto, NSW, Australia   AUS
Joe,

Thnx m8 4 that gr8 post. U R completely correct.

And as far as humanity is concerned, we are on a hand cart to hell.

Sorry to take the piss... spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

pinkyponk Avatar
pinkyponk Gold Member Adrian Page
Berwick, NS, Canada   CAN
Joe,

Your post has grammatical errors, poor sentence structure, and incorrect use of punctuation. It appears to be a case of the pot calling the kettle black.

Adrian

Home built Eaton M62 Supercharger with 9psi boost, "stock" high ratio rocker arms, 8:1 compression, Piper 270 cam, ported head, matched manifolds, CB Performance computerized ignition.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
76lucas Avatar
76lucas Gold Member Josh L
Floyd, VA, USA   USA
1978 MG Midget 1500
1979 MG Midget 1500 "Parts Car"
Pretty sure this should have gone in the Off topic forum.

It's a problem we all have seen,most of us have learned to deal with it. I don't see that has being a good reason to stop useing the site. There is just too much information here for that to be an option. Of course there are somethings that some people can't deal with no matter how hard they try. But leaving won't change a thing and you'll find the problem is everywhere. Heck, most people can't talk correctly much less write. In the end it's your choice but with a free membership the threat of leaving (or at least the apperance of it) is kind of empty. I hope you didn't mean it to sound that way and you stick around.

If you never try to do it You will never be able to do it

Ian Williams Avatar
Ian Williams Ian W
Chipping Longjourney, Toofarupnorth, UK   GBR
Well all end up reverting to grunts just like the cave men used to to do... Or is it just the youths here in the UK ?
Most of them will not make it to 25 as they will walk into the road and get squished whilst staring at their stupid phones...

dohc281 Avatar
dohc281 Gold Member Ira Eckstein
Laurel Springs, NJ, USA   USA
Joe I’ve had the same basic thoughts that you’ve just expressed. Every time I do I also remember my parents generation saying the same basic things about our generation. Then I cringe. I’m sure my sons generation will go through the same thought process.

If you hit your pony over the nose at the outset of your acquaintance, he may not love you, but he will take a deep interest in your movements ever afterwards.

Rudyard Kipling

jbman Avatar
jbman Silver Member Jefferson Black
Colorado Springs, CO, USA   USA
Let's be real, here. People are all over the spectrum when it comes to writing ability. A lot of the people you talk to very easily in person struggle to communicate in text. It's a very different skill. Additionally, if you don't think that the person behind the words is worth understanding, then by all means move on to something else. Have an iota of patience with someone that hasn't been as blessed as you and I, however, and you might be able to actually do some good. Meet them where they are, instead of demanding that they rise to your level before they can try to participate.

At the end of the day, even posts which are difficult to understand at a glance can be made clear with a little patience. The issue here isn't the writers.

In reply to # 3712775 by infinity2018 These threads are getting harder and harder to read and understand with the lack of any semblance of grammar being used. It gets very frustrating to have to stop midway in a post to have to decipher/translate what people are saying. I think part of it can be attributed to the "smart" phone generation who use predictive text so they don't need to know how to spell or put a sentence together, but I've noticed that older people do it just as much as the younger people. What's going on here?? I'd stopped to think that maybe some of the people who post are very young so haven't had grammar classes in elementary school yet, but that just can't be. It makes me have to take a step back and re-evaluate my fellow man and the direction that humanity is going: are we getting better or worse??? It's a frightening thing to think about. As a result, I'm on the fence about continuing membership of this site and at this point of frustration could take it or leave it..

Rockingham, VT, USA   USA
1973 MG MGB
Hasn't the grammatical hobby horse long left the nursery?

Abandon hope for a finer turn of phrase on what is essentially a technical forum, or start making up shorthand comments of your own, just to confuse the enemy. For example: GTIS--god this is stupid... Or CWMGLO--can we make grammarians leak oil... In the case of the latter, if not, then they probably should haunt the Bentley forum, or drink heavily before visiting this site...

Chas 906 Avatar
Chas 906 Chuck Peterson
Iron Mountain, MI, USA   USA
1961 MG Midget MkI "Little Red Rider"
I always hit spell check on every e-mail I send out. I've always taken great pride in my spelling and punctuation. Don't see a spell check option on this tool bar. If it does exist, someone please let us know.

dimini Avatar
dimini Don Ipock
Kansas City, MO, USA   USA
Here’s my take on the decline of the written word:

If there were a poll taken, my guess is that most folks are now viewing forums on hand-held devices. Those of us who still use keyboards actually write somewhat coherent sentences.

Being an MG and classic Mini enthusiast, I peruse forums with worldwide audiences. Since I can’t even say “hello” in Swedish, Norwegian or Dutch languages, I’m not going to judge someone attempting to offer technical help in their second or third language.

I don’t know, but maybe it’s as simple as great welders are not always good poets.

I have a neurosurgeon as a next-door neighbor. He recently asked me if I could fix his broken garage door opener keypad. All it needed was to have a battery lead re-soldered to it’s connector. While heating up my soldering iron, I’m thinking to myself, this is the guy who can diagnose and remove a brain tumor but can’t figure out how to solder a single wire?

Joe T, if you are a glutton for punishment, I dare you to visit a Honda forum!

JeffinMI Avatar
JeffinMI Gold Member Jeff Baran
West Bloomfield, MI, USA   USA
In reply to # 3712775 by infinity2018 These threads are getting harder and harder to read and understand with the lack of any semblance of grammar being used. It gets very frustrating to have to stop midway in a post to have to decipher/translate what people are saying. I think part of it can be attributed to the "smart" phone generation who use predictive text so they don't need to know how to spell or put a sentence together, but I've noticed that older people do it just as much as the younger people. What's going on here?? I'd stopped to think that maybe some of the people who post are very young so haven't had grammar classes in elementary school yet, but that just can't be. It makes me have to take a step back and re-evaluate my fellow man and the direction that humanity is going: are we getting better or worse??? It's a frightening thing to think about. As a result, I'm on the fence about continuing membership of this site and at this point of frustration could take it or leave it..

I am no master of grammar, spelling or punctuation. I am however thinking back and trying to understand where or when I would have been taught to use ?? or ???. No response necessary. Not looking to start something. Just saying.

1972 MG Midget - Currently Under restoration

oleanderjoe Avatar
Fresno, CA, USA   USA
K PERZAKLEY and YCDBWSOYA. 2 U

Member Services:
MO Midget Avatar
MO Midget Paul Langdon
Webster Groves, MO, USA   USA
While I think that Joe might be a little too quick to judge the state of humanity based on a few posts in an online forum (read: informal language at best), I agree that some of the posts are so poorly written that the writer's meaning is very difficult to discern, if not impossible. I also agree with Don's point about people trying to be helpful but in a second or third language; I am in awe of those people, no matter how much they struggle with their English grammar. Personally, I do not expect perfection but I too wish some authors would read their message out loud before hitting the "Post message" button so that they might figure out that their written words do not make sense. This is not out of any judgement of the person, but out of a frustration that good information is being lost or misinterpreted simply because the writer did not take a minute to proof read. Seriously, I have come across posts online (not just here) that I could not understand and had to guess at what the author was trying to say. That is poor communication and, at that point, that is the author's fault, not mine. So, in the interest of offering something constructive, let me say this: I have never met an individual who could not make their point verbally so, to those who struggle with the written word, just write your answer the way you would say it; it might be awkward but it might better reveal what a genius you really are at taking care of our Midgets. smileys with beer

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster