Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

MgMig1979 Avatar
MgMig1979 Mike E
Philadelphia, USA   USA
Thanks again to everyone who helped me with my last problem.

so I have a 1979 MG midget 1500 and am not getting either horns to work:

* I've cleaned just about every bullet connection I could access with exception to behind the dash and underneath the steering wheel cowling

( I am still looking for all the grounds on the car)

* fuses are good
* everything else electrical is working except for the buzzer/seatbelt warning light
* I purchased hella twin trumpet horns and just plugged them in where the old stock horns were ( didn't connect relay)

* when i plugged in a new signal, the horn didin't work with the new switch either

[[b]]Does anyone have any ideas what I should do? I assume it's something under the cowling but I do not see any examples what it looks like uunder the cowlng of an MG with the horn in the turn signal[/b][

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
66jalopy Avatar
66jalopy Silver Member Phillip Jolliffe
Lake City, FL, USA   USA
One wire going to horn should have 12V at all times. If it does, take a jumper cable and ground the other terminal, if horn works problem is probable ground wire at switch.

GeorgeOhr Nonya Business
Yes, confused, USA   USA
Do you have power to the horns?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
infinity2018 Avatar
infinity2018 Joe T
Denver, CO, USA   USA
1979 MG Midget 1500 "Inca"
Aren't the horns connected to fuse #1? If your horn doesn't work, then your interior light, trunk light, tachometer, fuel gauge and heater blower might not work either.

MgMig1979 Avatar
MgMig1979 Mike E
Philadelphia, USA   USA
nonya,

yes, it appears I am getting voltage to the horns last time i checked. This led me to believe Ihave a grounding issue somewhere and the only place i havent really investigated is under the steering wheel cowling

just for kicks, I'll try to check the voltage to the horns' purple wires today. thank you for the idea!

MgMig1979 Avatar
MgMig1979 Mike E
Philadelphia, USA   USA
joe T,

so according to the manual, they are tied into fuse #1 and the car seems pretty much stock. only alteration may have been disabling the buzzer/seatbelt warning light... but i havent found the evidence for that minus a ground strap behind the radio that isnt connected to anything,

the interior lights were working fine until i took a bulb out of the car interior light and the dimner / illumination on all dash items works. I can post some photos to this thread and yet again, this forum's really outdoing itself

MgMig1979 Avatar
MgMig1979 Mike E
Philadelphia, USA   USA
excellent idea! i will try this and let the forum know what happens

MgMig1979 Avatar
MgMig1979 Mike E
Philadelphia, USA   USA
Okay,

so when i tested the wires... both the purple and the purple with the black line had power ( the female connectors to the horn terminals). when I grounded the horn ( using a wire from one horn terminal to the body) the one horn started working.

I then disconnected the wire I used to ground the horn with and reconnected the PB wire... and both horns started to work.

It appears both horns are suddenly working now......I am not sure why, but happy they seem to be operating.

GeorgeOhr Nonya Business
Yes, confused, USA   USA
In reply to # 3713177 by MgMig1979
I then disconnected the wire I used to ground the horn with and reconnected the PB wire... and both horns started to work.

Mine had a bad connection too.

littlecars Avatar
littlecars David Bassett
Nashville, TN, USA   USA
1965 Chevrolet Corvair "Ski Team Transport SOLD!"
1965 MG Midget MkII "Buffoon"
1966 MG Midget MkII "Swiss Cheese...SCRAPPED"
1970 Triumph Spitfire MkIII "Tamara's Turd... SOLD!!!"    & more
WHAT DID YOU SAY, SONNY?

Always fun to work on horns, especially two, when you first apply power and are at the front of the car. Not only did I lose my hearing for a spell, my neighbors really appreciated the testing I did over the course of several afternoons. This was a year ago. A few months later, I married the neighbor!

MgMig1979 Avatar
MgMig1979 Mike E
Philadelphia, USA   USA
David,

I really enjoyed that story! Between the horn tests, the clanks, bangs, and occasional utterances of profanities—I'll just be happy if my neighbors don't call the police, haha. It has been an enjoyable challenge thus far getting this car road ready.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster