Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

G0Bigred JD Wyborny
Winterville, NC, USA   USA
1976 MG M-Type Midget "The Midge"
After much swearing and a few beers I was able to install British Starters High Torque Starter onto my 1976 MG Midget 1500. It doesn't seem to be a perfect fit, but I believe it is in there as correct as it can be. The Solenoid is pointed in the downward direction (thats the only way it would fit). I tired starting the car and the starter just whirls and does not engage the flywheel. This was never an issue with my old starter. All the teeth on the flywheel are intact and in good condition. Any advice on how to solve this?

Background: Old starter would work, but was slow and would get caught.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Tynwistle Avatar
Tynwistle Silver Member David L
Tacoma, WA, USA   USA
1979 MG Midget "Bruna"
I bought one of those things too. After a full afternoon of trying to mount it on my 79, gave up and bought one from Auto Zone. Since I tried to mount it I can’t return it. Has anyone successfully mounted one of these on a 1500?

G0Bigred JD Wyborny
I have mounted it smiling smiley Just doesnt work properly. They have a video on youtube of them mounting it on a Triumph 1500.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
1974MGMidget Avatar
1974MGMidget Silver Member Jack Orkin
Grayson, GA, USA   USA
Can't help you specifically with the 1500, but can you visually verify that the face of the starter is flush with the bellhousing? I didn't watch the whole video, but did see him mention a ring that has to come off the old starter and go on the new one and that it must face a certain way. Are you sure that ring is flush with the bellhousing? Good luck.

G0Bigred JD Wyborny
Seems to be and was able to tighten both mounting screws as well. I knew I should have just purchased a replacement, not an aftermarket.

geezer Avatar
geezer Silver Member charles durning
Magee, MS, USA   USA
1958 MG Magnette ZB "Chick Magnette (sold)"
1967 Morris Minor 1000 Saloon (2-door) "Marvin"
1974 MG MGB GT
I would think that if it doesn't work that British Starters should make it right with you. That does not speak well for British Starters. FWIW I recall seeing a thread where a guy in this forum used an Isuzu Trooper gear reduction starter on his 1500 Midget. I don't remember the details. Perhaps he'll chime in. I ended up using that same starter on my Morris Minor and it spins the engine like it has no compression.

https://www.mgexp.com/journal/geezer/13934

Who's version of right are we talking about? When you get 10 LBC owners in a room you'll get 12 different answers.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-04-04 02:30 PM by geezer.

G0Bigred JD Wyborny
Yes. Keith from British Starters has reached out to me. He wants me to take it out and test if it is a starter clutch issue. I'm leaning towards asking for my money back as installing a original replacement would be 100 x times easier.

G0Bigred JD Wyborny
Found out it was not in straight. Took it out and tried every hole combination on the attachment and it does not fit. This thing is not smaller than the original (see picture). I just purchased an original replacement. I should have done that in the first place. If anyone has a Midget 1500 do not buy a high torque starter it will not fit correctly.

Attachments:
IMG_0066.jpg    57.3 KB
IMG_0066.jpg

autocomman mark w
lost angy, USA   USA
The isuzu one is an issue too because the throw on the gear isn't enough to fully engage the flywheel...you only get it about half way on the teeth

geezer Avatar
Magee, MS, USA   USA
1974 MG MGB GT
In reply to # 3714673 by autocomman The isuzu one is an issue too because the throw on the gear isn't enough to fully engage the flywheel...you only get it about half way on the teeth

Who's version of right are we talking about? When you get 10 LBC owners in a room you'll get 12 different answers.

Attachments:
Engagement.JPG    31 KB
Engagement.JPG

G0Bigred JD Wyborny
I know mine didn't physically fit into the opening. The edge of the starter would be pressed up against the edge of the body causing it to only fit in a crooked manner. It angers me that some people sell parts that indicate that they fit your car when in actuality they do not fit. Causes a lot of wasted time.

SevenAmerica Avatar
SevenAmerica John Donohoe
Williamston, MI, USA   USA
The Isuzu Trooper starter bolts right up and works perfectly on the A Series motor, not the 1500. I had one in my 948, swapped it into my 1275 and plan to put it back into my next 948. I guess on a Midget there is a close tolerance with the passenger footbox... people have taken a mallet and dimpled the footbox. I didn't;t have that issue on my car.

Cheers!

autocomman mark w
lost angy, USA   USA
My 1275 it bolted up and worked, and I did this on the engine stand. When it engauged it was only half way in the flywheel teeth. So depending on the quality of your rebuold your results may vary

geezer Avatar
Magee, MS, USA   USA
1974 MG MGB GT
I'm not sure the engagement depth is that critical. In the pic I posted earlier the crash starter had torn up the back side of the ring gear and the GR starter pinion fully engaged what was left of the teeth. A GR starter is a way to keep starting the engine without pulling to replace the ring gear. OTOH just change the pinion gear with linger teeth. On my engine the pinion engaged to the taper on the backside of the good ring gear teeth with the shorter/stock pinion.

Attachments:
DensoPinionGears.JPG    11.5 KB
DensoPinionGears.JPG

Tynwistle Avatar
Tynwistle Silver Member David L
Tacoma, WA, USA   USA
1979 MG Midget "Bruna"
I too tried every setting, but none would work on my 79. I like the concept of the hi-torque starter, so I’m disappointed that it wouldn’t fit. Fortunately, my ring gear is in good shape so I can still use the original side with the new crash starter. I know a P.O. had the motor and tranny out (new clutch), so maybe he renewed the ring gear at the same time. Isn’t it fun figuring out what was done or not done this on these cars?

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster