MGExp

MG Midget Forum

I AM DESPERATE RIGHT NOW...SOS..SOS...SOS...How to bleed slave cylinder???

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Cruisedon66 Avatar
Cruisedon66 Pete W
St. Louis, MO, USA   USA
1976 MG MGB
I don't have a Midget but this looks like a good tip. See 1:50. 5:25 Not sure about the tip at 2:50?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
pinkyponk Avatar
pinkyponk Gold Member Adrian Page
Berwick, NS, Canada   CAN
Can you not gravity bleed a Midget clutch?

Adrian

Home built Eaton M62 Supercharger with 9psi boost, "stock" high ratio rocker arms, 8:1 compression, Piper 270 cam, ported head, matched manifolds, CB Performance computerized ignition.

halloween Gregg B
Sheridan, WY, USA   USA
Buy the remote bleeder from Bugeyeguy.com

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
4wud568 Avatar
4wud568 Doug Colby
Sacramento, CA, USA   USA
I had to do this at the end of my rebuild. Bleed it like you do you brakes. BUT hold the last pump, then push the plunger in the bunge hole to push out the bubbles trapped in the housing. Lastly tighten the bleeder.

Doug Colby
1970 MGBGT

Chas 906 Avatar
Chas 906 Chuck Peterson
Iron Mountain, MI, USA   USA
1961 MG Midget MkI "Little Red Rider"
You can gravity bleed, but the upper piping along the firewall holds air and it's really hard to remove it unless air pressure is applied.

Statestreet Avatar
Statestreet John Lockwood
Tucson AZ, USA   USA
I feel your pain. As I was bringing the 74 back up I had the misfortune to replace the flex hose to the slave, then shortly after the slave itself, then shortly after that I had to rebuild the master. Each of these required me to re-bleed the system. Add to that the transmission mounts were shot (and I didn't know it) making the slave bleed screw almost impossible to get to. After about two weeks and spending many hours crawling around under the car I finally got it bled.

Don't give up! You'll get there. If I were closer to Missouri I'd come over and we (and a few beers) would get it done.

Anyone closer that could give a hand?

Chas 906 Avatar
Chas 906 Chuck Peterson
Carver, we haven't heard from you about the issue. How's it going? You may have a forum crew there soon!

grichn Avatar
grichn Richard nicholson
crevillent, alicante, Spain   ESP
1976 MG J-Type Midget "The Shed"
I had exactly the same problem, tried the Gunson - no luck. Then I had my wife pump the pedal 10 times while I held a spanner on the union on top of the master cylinder. After 10 pumps she held it down and I loosened the union half a turn. There was a loud 'pop' as the air bubble in the union was expelled. Did that twice - perfect clutch.

The trapped air bubble will simply bob up and down in the union when using other methods.

let us know how you get on.

Best of luck!

Richard in sunny Spain

CarverBoldman Carver Boldman
Kirbyville, MO, USA   USA
@Chas 906, we haven't had time to work on it recently, we were supposed to go work on it yesterday, but plans (sadly) changed and we are now scheduled to work on it this Sunday. And oh man, having a crew of experienced MG owners would be amazing... One more weird thing about our Midget is that there is a metal cord/wire hanging down from the undercarriage. I can post a pic if that helps. Any ideas?

Chas 906 Avatar
Chas 906 Chuck Peterson
Ya, sounds like the ground cable. About an inch wide 1/8" thick and braided?

Chas 906 Avatar
Chas 906 Chuck Peterson
If I remember correctly the loose end with the hole in it should mount under the nearest bell housing (tranny to engine) bolt.

Chas 906 Avatar
Chas 906 Chuck Peterson
Secure it with the least amount of loop hanging down. You don't want it to snag any road debris.

PeterC Avatar
PeterC Platinum Member Peter Caldwell
Madison Wisconsin, USA   USA
Chuck,
Some parts of 1500 Midgets are much, much different than your 61. So sometimes your well-meaning advice can be confusing or unfortunately misleading.

In this thread, for instance, the recommendation of installing a remote bleeder hose doesn't apply. The slave cylinder is very different and located on the other side of the engine with a semi-flexible line.

Also, the cable hanging down from a 1500 is likely the engine restraint system, often not reconnected when re-installing the engine. (its a pita to install).

Some of your posts ARE helpful, but your experience with your year does not apply to the engine, transmission assemblies of the 1500s.

I mean this kindly. I hope you understand.

Peter C

Member Services:
Supplying New Old Stock parts for all imports. A LARGE quantity being loaded to our EBAY store stores.ebay.com/worldwideimportautoparts Rebuilding lever shock absorbers for British cars. (800)362-1025 M-F 9-5 Central or parts@nosimport.com
Chas 906 Avatar
Chas 906 Chuck Peterson
Thanks Peter. I'm fairly new here and didn't realize the misinformation given. I'll stick to the MK1.

darayner Avatar
darayner Daryl Rayner
Fort St. John, BC, Canada   CAN
1976 MG Midget 1500
1976 MG Midget 1500 "Nessa"
Let the slave cylinder hang down under the car for some time (HAVE BEER) then put it in place this is what works best unless you have pressure from the reservoir assisting the fluid through he pipe to the slave cylinder.

Cheers

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster