Website undergoing maintenance, connection may be intermittent
MGExp

MG Midget Forum

I AM DESPERATE RIGHT NOW...SOS..SOS...SOS...How to bleed slave cylinder???

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Chas 906 Avatar
Chas 906 Chuck Peterson
Iron Mountain, MI, USA   USA
1961 MG Midget MkI "Little Red Rider"
Carver, have you paid any attention to what the guys have said? Just get the pressure bleed! It's easy to use, hence the name. It comes with really good and easy instructions.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
CarverBoldman Carver Boldman
Kirbyville, MO, USA   USA
YES?! I only asked HOW you use it! Everyone is saying that is a good buy, and I think I'm in, so HOW do you use it?

Oh, you said it comes with instructions...sorry. Any insider tips then?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
flat350 Avatar
flat350 Steve Alleman
Schaumburg, IL, USA   USA
This works the same as the Ezi-bleed.It's really just a garden sprayer that you fill with brake fluid,they sell all kinds of adapters to do to different types of masters.You use the squeeze clamp to pull the slave rod in,clamp the adapter to the master with the chains,pump it up to 5-7 lbs. and check for leaks,no leaks and you go crack the bleeder,you're done in a matter of minutes.Made by Motive Products or make your own tank and buy their adapter.

1971 MG Midget MKIII

Attachments:
DSC00169.JPG    42.9 KB
DSC00169.JPG

Chas 906 Avatar
Chas 906 Chuck Peterson
Iron Mountain, MI, USA   USA
1961 MG Midget MkI "Little Red Rider"
Either one does a good job Carver. Just get one, review the instructions and if your still uncertain about its operation let us know.

Blueosprey90 Avatar
Blueosprey90 Jeff Sienkiewicz
New Milford, CT, USA   USA
OP. What happened?

davey Avatar
davey Dave Feda
Wallingford, CT, USA   USA
1968 Austin-Healey Sprite "Austin"
1976 MG Midget MkIII "Pearl"
This is often an issue, especially with a Midget. The plastic pipe that exits the master routs first up, then down to the slave. It's a wonderful air trap! Slow moving fluid while bleeding can't evacuate this air. Since it's translucent plastic, you can usually see the air in there if you hold a flashlight behind it. You've got to get fluid moving fast enough and steady enough to get that air out.

The bleeder valve on the slave is also an issue. As others have noted, you must confirm that yours is in the top hole.

When I bleed clutches OR breaks, I use an old reservoir cap in which I've installed a Schrader valve (I made 2, one for clutch, the other for brakes) . I clip on my air compressor, set to just under 30 lbs, and then open the bleeder. You might actually be able to see the air bubble in that top tube move down to the slave when you do this! Let it run till you're sure ALL the air is out being careful not to run the reservoir dry. Then just close the bleeder. It's that easy.

This process took me a few attempts to perfect, but it works perfectly every time now. Good luck!

dimini Avatar
dimini Don Ipock
Kansas City, MO, USA   USA
I just bought the Gunsen Ezibleed from VB (same as Moss') and apparently none of the Ezibleeds have the huge 80mm (or so) cap found on current brake MC's for the 1500. There is a cap the kit that fits the Lockheed brand clutch master for the 1500 Midgets. However, if you have an aftermarket clutch MC, with "radiator cap" style fitting, you will need to buy an additional Ezibleed adaptor. For my brakes, I had a spare MC cap, which I drilled a hole in and it works perfectly with the Ezibleed system.

dlrhine Avatar
dlrhine Dave Rhine
South, Carolina, USA   USA
In reply to # 3717780 by Blueosprey90 OP. What happened?

X2

If it ain't broke, I'll fix it 'til it is! winking smiley

Sorry for the silence guys! So yeah, yesterday night, 2 of our "mechanics" came to look at it, but like I said, they're used to american cars, and have absolutely no idea how to bleed this clutch..So we called O'Riellys to see if the sold Ezi'bleeders, not sure which one they sell, but the one he recommende was 62 bucks!! Any Ideas of where to find a cheaper one? Thanks for all your help!!

trevorwj Avatar
trevorwj Trevor Jessie
Louisville, KY, USA   USA
Use the old bicycle tube trick. Cut a bicycle tube and stretch it over the MC opening and seal it with a hose clamp. Tie the other end of the tube. Put about ten lbs of pressure in it. The open the bleeder for a a few seconds. check the fluid level and repeat as needed.

Midget 50th - A Spridget Event
It was a Blast!
http://sprite-midgetclub.org/

trevorwj Avatar
trevorwj Trevor Jessie
Louisville, KY, USA   USA
Not sure why a mechanic would have trouble with this?

Midget 50th - A Spridget Event
It was a Blast!
http://sprite-midgetclub.org/

pinkyponk Avatar
pinkyponk Gold Member Adrian Page
Berwick, NS, Canada   CAN
I wonder how they did this on the production line when they built the cars?

Anyone?

Adrian

Home built Eaton M62 Supercharger with 9psi boost, "stock" high ratio rocker arms, 8:1 compression, Piper 270 cam, ported head, matched manifolds, CB Performance computerized ignition.

refisk Avatar
refisk Rick Fisk
Frankenmuth, MI, USA   USA
Auto assembly plants use pressure bleeders.

In reply to # 3720073 by pinkyponk I wonder how they did this on the production line when they built the cars?

Anyone?

Adrian

pinkyponk Avatar
pinkyponk Gold Member Adrian Page
Berwick, NS, Canada   CAN
Did MG use them? Or did they bleed each car with a jam jar and a tube?

Adrian

Home built Eaton M62 Supercharger with 9psi boost, "stock" high ratio rocker arms, 8:1 compression, Piper 270 cam, ported head, matched manifolds, CB Performance computerized ignition.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster