Trouble with my midget ——-Fixed and I am a bit embarrassed

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Dalton86 Dalton Williams
Tulsa, OK, USA   USA
Thank you guys so much for all of the help in trying to diagnose why my car was not charging. This forum is awesome and full of knowledgeable people that are ready to help idiots like myself and for that I’m greatful!

The alternator and the battery were fine, all of the wiring was fine, the earth strap was fine and all other grounding wires were fine.
The car is new to me and when the engine started I could hear an electric motor running. Not sure if it was supposed to be there or not it eventually hit me that it was the starter motor. With the car running I disconnected the solenoid, the starter motor shut off and the voltage was normal. Solenoid tested out to be functioning so it must be the ignition switch which is aftermarket on this car. Turn the key all the way and the engine starts and the starter motor continues to spin. Then I just bumped the key back to the run position the starter motor turns off and the car is fine.

The car will run really well if the key is in the correct position

Again thank you for your patience and putting up with this American idiot. No doubt some point in the future I will be looking for assistance again and I hope you haven’t gotten to fed up with me and will continue to help. Thank you guys again.

-Dalton

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
PeterC Avatar
PeterC Platinum Member Peter Caldwell
Madison Wisconsin, USA   USA
Thanks for posting the solution! Always good to hear and know.

now..... are you getting a correct switch? And what year is your car?

Peter C

Member Services:
Supplying New Old Stock parts for all imports. A LARGE quantity being loaded to our EBAY store stores.ebay.com/worldwideimportautoparts Rebuilding lever shock absorbers for British cars. (800)362-1025 M-F 9-5 Central or parts@nosimport.com
Poundingsand Avatar
Poundingsand Silver Member Peer Ebbighausen
Los Angeles, CA, USA   USA
Dalton, not to worry. I've had several of those moments already and these kind folks haven't kicked me out yet! Haha

Was the ignition switch not returning from the start position?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-03-13 12:22 PM by Poundingsand.

pixelsmithusa Avatar
All ignition switches are designed to spring back to run position when not held in the start position. Either you have an incorrect switch or it's malfunctioning, you should replace it. A starter that continues to remain engaged when the engine is running will damage/destroy the ring gear, as well as the pinion gear on the starter.

Gerard

http://gerardsgarage.com/

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
66jalopy Avatar
66jalopy Silver Member Phillip Jolliffe
Lake City, FL, USA   USA
I expect the pinion kicks out and only the motor is running, still bad on starter.

pixelsmithusa Avatar
What activity brings the pinion to engage the ring gear? Think about it. It might kick out momentarily, but it will then try to re-engage with the spinning flywheel.

In reply to # 3696541 by 66jalopy I expect the pinion kicks out and only the motor is running, still bad on starter.

Gerard

http://gerardsgarage.com/

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-03-13 12:56 PM by pixelsmithusa.

66jalopy Avatar
Lake City, FL, USA   USA
Initial thrust as the motor starts rotating engages it, sudden increase in speed of starter as engine starts releases it on a Lucas starter. Hold the starter on on any of your cars, bendix should have released, mine sure does.

Bench test a starter, bendix only stays out until starter reaches full speed then retracts.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-03-13 01:23 PM by 66jalopy.

Dalton86 Dalton Williams
Tulsa, OK, USA   USA
The key does NOT kick back from the start position to the run position. I have to do that. He pinion disengages the flywheel and the motor continues to spin. It is an aftermarket ignition switch. As soon as I turn the key to the run position, everything is normal. If I turn the car off, it starts normally. I agree the ignition switch is malfunctioning. I’m not looking forward to replacing it. Per other posted on this forum. To replace it on a 74, I must remove the steering column. That doesn’t sound like fun.

littlecars Avatar
littlecars David Bassett
Nashville, TN, USA   USA
1965 Chevrolet Corvair "Ski Team Transport SOLD!"
1965 MG Midget MkII "Buffoon"
1966 MG Midget MkII "Swiss Cheese...SCRAPPED"
1970 Triumph Spitfire MkIII "Tamara's Turd... SOLD!!!"    & more
Wait until you learn about the shear bolts on the later steering columns! Depending on how many people have been in there before you, the cast piece that holds the switch on may be so close to the dash that even dropping the column will not provide enough clearance to remove. Been considering a hacksaw to chop off one from a parts car near my home.

bev sleet Avatar
bev sleet Bev S
Raunds, Northamptonshire, UK   GBR
Taking the column out is foolproof ,, two bolts at the top and one at the bottom holds it in , disconnect the mutiplug under the dash to the indicator switch and make notes where you pull the colour coded wires of the ignition switch to aid refitting.

littlecars Avatar
littlecars David Bassett
Nashville, TN, USA   USA
1965 Chevrolet Corvair "Ski Team Transport SOLD!"
1965 MG Midget MkII "Buffoon"
1966 MG Midget MkII "Swiss Cheese...SCRAPPED"
1970 Triumph Spitfire MkIII "Tamara's Turd... SOLD!!!"    & more
"Out" verses "down." To drop the steering column from the collapsible safety column years to the end of production the bolts are inserted through slotted, removable washer/keepers that have to be pounded out in order to lower the whole works. To take the column out, one must also remove bolts at the ring by the firewall, and of course the pinch bolt at the steering rack.

To clarify, the shear bolts are on the ignition switch cast piece.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-03-13 02:53 PM by littlecars.

bev sleet Avatar
bev sleet Bev S
Raunds, Northamptonshire, UK   GBR
David there must be a big difference between the USA car and the UK car,, mine don't have any bolts going through the firewall and only two holding the column up under the dash and my column is not collapsible, still it all adds to the fun of these little cars smileys with beer

66jalopy Avatar
Lake City, FL, USA   USA
It's the Federal government's interference for USA. We have locking steering wheel and the bottom bolts are designed so the hex brakes off when installing so you need to figure a way to remove them. Cutting a slot with a Dermal works.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster