Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

jbman Avatar
jbman Silver Member Jefferson Black
Colorado Springs, CO, USA   USA
Thanks! Those systems are pretty impressive, but far out of my budget. The price of the entire vehicle will come in under just those dual siamese motors!

In reply to # 3696816 by ohlord One of those Dual Siamese 9inch AC regen has 1000ft lb of torque
Pricey at 7 grand
Fry the tires and everything else right off.
EV West sells a coupler for smaller dual 9 matings or a smaller AC regen with plenty of torque in a midget for 4grand
Only weighs 115 pounds 9x14 inches

You've done a very nice jobthumbs up

In reply to # 3696629 by jbman Yes, it is. It is a Kostov 11. ~200/250V, ~200/250 Amps continuous, depending on whether you wire the field coils in series or in parallel. I would frankly prefer an AC setup, but it was too cost prohibitive for the power levels I was looking for.

In reply to # 3696609 by Jim Blackwood Is this a DC motor?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
idrivemyself Avatar
idrivemyself Kyle H
Middle of Knowhere, FL, USA   USA
IIRC Golden Motor's A/C motor controllers are ~$500... That shouldn't blow the budget? And you already have a potentiometer throttle pedal, right? The VEC300 will handle your 250A easily. I used to use the VEC500-48V and their 5K motors on engine dynamometers at a former company. We used them to spin up the engines fast enough to hit our target start speeds as the standard engine dyno starters couldn't handle 3k+ RPM. They worked pretty well and were simple to install, I'd give them a look.

The project looks good, keep it up!

jbman Avatar
In reply to # 3697088 by idrivemyself IIRC Golden Motor's A/C motor controllers are ~$500... That shouldn't blow the budget? And you already have a potentiometer throttle pedal, right? The VEC300 will handle your 250A easily. I used to use the VEC500-48V and their 5K motors on engine dynamometers at a former company. We used them to spin up the engines fast enough to hit our target start speeds as the standard engine dyno starters couldn't handle 3k+ RPM. They worked pretty well and were simple to install, I'd give them a look.

The project looks good, keep it up!

The VEC300 has a max rating of 72 volts and 300 amps, according to what I'm reading. That's just shy of 22Kw, and I believe that's an absolute maximum. The controller I'm using is rated for 340 volts and 1200 amps, or 408Kw. While the continuous rating of my motor is 45Kw, the peak is much higher. I could easily see briefly pulling 500 amps from a dead stop, or possibly even more if I'm feeling really aggressive! The higher voltage also allows me to spin the motor faster, so I can get a much higher top speed and more efficiency.

As far as throttle, I am using an automotive TPS, but it's a 0-5V potentiometer, rather than the standard 0-5K potentiometer. It's a lot more like a hall effect throttle.

The build could definitely be done with a brushless DC or an AC setup, like the one you linked, without a big budget. It would be more economical in general, too, with regenerative braking to increase range and save on brake pads/shoes. Midgets are light and don't need a ton of power to drive nicely. I wanted to roast the tires, though, which was the issue smiling smiley an AC setup that would match my 200Kw target was not in the budget, and I couldn't find anything used that was worth building.

EDIT: On a related note, the drivetrain for a Nissan Leaf is pretty darn nice for that kind of thing. If you can get a scrapped leaf on the cheap, you can save a ton of money and have almost everything you need for a nice AC build. People are doing all kinds of creative stuff with OEM EV drivetrains.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-03-14 10:00 AM by jbman.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
idrivemyself Avatar
idrivemyself Kyle H
Middle of Knowhere, FL, USA   USA
Yep, nevermind, I glossed over your 200/250V need. Those definitely won't work! Well, they won't work at WOT. winking smiley

jbman Avatar
And that's where the fun is ^_^

In reply to # 3697113 by idrivemyself Well, they won't work at WOT. winking smiley

Havenor Avatar
Havenor Richard Costa
Fairhaven, MA, USA   USA
I'm not a greenie but an electric conversion actually makes more sense with the Midget than many other conversions I've seen. As used turbines become more available and the Datsun 210 is disappearing this makes sense. Keep us up to date.

ice Avatar
ice Gold Member Larry Ice
Lawrenceville, GA, USA   USA
Looks great! Are you planning on running the stock rear end?

Iceman

Atlanta GA

60 AH MK1
62 AH MKII
67 Midget
71 Midget

adobejoe Andy Rose
Powell, WY, USA   USA
I assume those are Lithium Ion batteries? Salvaged from a Prius? You ever get up to Wyoming I can show you a friends conversion of a PT Cruiser. He is using old forklift batteries.

Andy

jbman Avatar
Not in the long run, but I will be for the moment. I'll have to baby it and probably throttle back the controller to keep things happy until I find a suitable rear end and learn about narrowing it!

In reply to # 3697394 by ice Looks great! Are you planning on running the stock rear end?

jbman Avatar
Yes, Lithium Ion! These are out of a Chevy Volt, which has outrageously economical OEM quality batteries for these kinds of swaps. I got ~10KwH of batteries for about $1,100 shipped to my door. If you can find a whole pack, you can do even better. I don't have room for the entire pack, though!

I gather a lot of forklifts use gigantic lead acid batteries, and those can be tough. Do you know how many volts he is running? He must have used some smaller batteries and reconfigured them to get them to fit in a PT Cruiser!

In reply to # 3697492 by adobejoe I assume those are Lithium Ion batteries? Salvaged from a Prius? You ever get up to Wyoming I can show you a friends conversion of a PT Cruiser. He is using old forklift batteries.

Andy

Havenor Avatar
Havenor Richard Costa
Fairhaven, MA, USA   USA
It's only going to get better and eventually someone will put together a conversion kit. The new trend in batteries is the iron lithium battery which will likely become the norm in the next few years. As things evolve the older stuff will become cheaper and more plentiful. As it stands now the Midget is more of a city car anyway and our normal driving range falls in line with EV. A perfect match.

Stargazer14 Avatar
Stargazer14 Mike Redmond
West Chester, PA, USA   USA
I have been thinking of doing this to my classic boat, I think I will keep the '61 Midget original. I love this project!

Attachments:
MoNaH_2.jpg    21.4 KB
MoNaH_2.jpg

BobHarper Bob Harper
Caloundra, Queensland, Australia   AUS
Honda motor is a "Quill" motor that has a differential on one end, and one (of the two) axle shaft passes through the hollow motor shaft. The result is that the motor fits in an independent rear end (Front end in the Honda) inline with the rear wheels, driving both directly. The final drive ratio is in the end differential as a Planetary drive.
Batteries would then go up front to balance the car.
The Motor is BLDC with a formed ferromagnetic core and water cooling passages.
The motor is driven by Variable Frequency Drive so speed is dependent on the electronics, final drive ratio, wheel dia, and the poles of the motor.
Looks good, can't wait to see it run, but alas without the MG Burble!!!
Good work mate.

Chas 906 Avatar
Chas 906 Chuck Peterson
Iron Mountain, MI, USA   USA
1961 MG Midget MkI "Little Red Rider"
What's your back ground? Electrical engineer? Or mad scientist?

PeterC Avatar
PeterC Platinum Member Peter Caldwell
Madison Wisconsin, USA   USA
If you did not change the copper washer at the slave to hose junction, you should.

Member Services:
Supplying New Old Stock parts for all imports. A LARGE quantity being loaded to our EBAY store stores.ebay.com/worldwideimportautoparts Rebuilding lever shock absorbers for British cars. (800)362-1025 M-F 9-5 Central or parts@nosimport.com

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster