Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

carbus Avatar
carbus Carl Bussler
Havertown, PA, USA   USA
That's awesome! An inventive way of breathing new life into an old machine.

1967 MGB GT (Tartan Red)
1972 Yamaha XS650 (Red and White)
2005 Scion XA RS 1.0 #959 of 1550 (Absolutely Red)

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
littlecars Avatar
littlecars David Bassett
Nashville, TN, USA   USA
1965 Chevrolet Corvair "Ski Team Transport SOLD!"
1965 MG Midget MkII "Buffoon"
1966 MG Midget MkII "Swiss Cheese...SCRAPPED"
1970 Triumph Spitfire MkIII "Tamara's Turd... SOLD!!!"    & more
In reply to # 3695712 by jbman

My front shocks appear to be shot, however, and the lever shocks are a pain to get without some coin! I don't want to throw some junk off of eBay on there... "Rebuilt". I want to get the Peter Caldwell rebuilds, so I'm holding off at the moment.

If I'm not mistaken, his rebuilt shocks are ADJUSTABLE. Peter, what say you?

jbman Avatar
jbman Silver Member Jefferson Black
Colorado Springs, CO, USA   USA
I saw some pictures of what appeared to be a large valve and some external piping fitted between the cylinders on one of his shocks. I didn't find them for sale immediately, so I filed that idea away for later. I'd love some adjustable shocks, but the springs would need to match reasonably well with the shocks, right? I believe they have to work in tandem.

In reply to # 3696579 by littlecars

My front shocks appear to be shot, however, and the lever shocks are a pain to get without some coin! I don't want to throw some junk off of eBay on there... "Rebuilt". I want to get the Peter Caldwell rebuilds, so I'm holding off at the moment.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Jim Blackwood Avatar
Jim Blackwood * BlownMGB-V8
Gunpowder Rd, Florence, KY, USA   USA
Is this a DC motor?

jbman Avatar
On a much more mundane note, I am nearly done putting in the carpet. I got a cheap set off of eBay just to have something decent on the floors, but I have to say that I did not expect the horror that was these two pieces. Ample double sided tape and 3M adhesive got the job done well enough... I still need to trim some strands and edges and vacuum.

This is also only the second time I've done automotive carpet, and it is much less of a train wreck than the first time... so that's OK, I guess!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-03-13 02:15 PM by jbman.

Attachments:
IMG_0662.jpg    47.9 KB
IMG_0662.jpg

jbman Avatar
Yes, it is. It is a Kostov 11. ~200/250V, ~200/250 Amps continuous, depending on whether you wire the field coils in series or in parallel. I would frankly prefer an AC setup, but it was too cost prohibitive for the power levels I was looking for.

In reply to # 3696609 by Jim Blackwood Is this a DC motor?

PeterC Avatar
PeterC Platinum Member Peter Caldwell
Madison Wisconsin, USA   USA
In reply to # 3696602 by jbman I saw some pictures of what appeared to be a large valve and some external piping fitted between the cylinders on one of his shocks. I didn't find them for sale immediately, so I filed that idea away for later. I'd love some adjustable shocks, but the springs would need to match reasonably well with the shocks, right? I believe they have to work in tandem.

In reply to # 3696579 by littlecars

They CAN be made that way. We don't post them on the website yet. Can't keep up as it is!

Member Services:
Supplying New Old Stock parts for all imports. A LARGE quantity being loaded to our EBAY store stores.ebay.com/worldwideimportautoparts Rebuilding lever shock absorbers for British cars. (800)362-1025 M-F 9-5 Central or parts@nosimport.com
jbman Avatar
What is your price for the adjustable shocks, assuming you offer them right now? Also, do you think I would need to change to stiffer springs to match the shocks? Thanks!

In reply to # 3696631 by PeterC They CAN be made that way. We don't post them on the website yet. Can't keep up as it is!

oleanderjoe Avatar
oleanderjoe Gold Member Joseph Baba
Fresno, CA, USA   USA
JEFFERSON: It looks like you live in "COLORADO", and I believe they have a smog test requirement. How are you going to get by that.????? VIN number would show it is a Smog Car. How do you get an exemption, "HOME MADE CAR", would require some kind of new VIN number. Here is California, if you do a HOME BREW, it has to go to the CHP for Brake, and Light inspection. Just curious. ???????

Member Services:
PeterC Avatar
PeterC Platinum Member Peter Caldwell
Madison Wisconsin, USA   USA
In reply to # 3696640 by jbman What is your price for the adjustable shocks, assuming you offer them right now? Also, do you think I would need to change to stiffer springs to match the shocks? Thanks!

In reply to # 3696631 by PeterC They CAN be made that way. We don't post them on the website yet. Can't keep up as it is!

You actually match the shocks to the springs. the springs are matched to the sprung weight of the car, or more properly, the corner of the car. The shocks are about twice the price of our regular. We can also adjust the static valves for much less.

Peter

Member Services:
Supplying New Old Stock parts for all imports. A LARGE quantity being loaded to our EBAY store stores.ebay.com/worldwideimportautoparts Rebuilding lever shock absorbers for British cars. (800)362-1025 M-F 9-5 Central or parts@nosimport.com
jbman Avatar
We don't have a smog test where I live, mercifully. El Paso county only requires diesel inspections, and those only in a few places. Additionally, Colorado offers a big tax break for alternative vehicle purchases and conversions, which this would qualify as. I'm still trying to figure that out, as the state don't agree with each other on what is required in a case like this. I sent a few people an email, which they forwarded back and forth and finally referred me to a page where I could pay some governmental agent to research the tax law and give me an answer. Rubbish.

In reply to # 3696687 by oleanderjoe JEFFERSON: It looks like you live in "COLORADO", and I believe they have a smog test requirement. How are you going to get by that.????? VIN number would show it is a Smog Car. How do you get an exemption, "HOME MADE CAR", would require some kind of new VIN number. Here is California, if you do a HOME BREW, it has to go to the CHP for Brake, and Light inspection. Just curious. ???????

jbman Avatar
Gotcha! That's kind of what I meant to ask, but much clearer. The last thing I want to deal with is changing the springs right now, but I'll cross that bridge when I get there. Thanks!

In reply to # 3696698 by PeterC
You actually match the shocks to the springs. the springs are matched to the sprung weight of the car, or more properly, the corner of the car. The shocks are about twice the price of our regular. We can also adjust the static valves for much less.

Peter

Yankeedriver Avatar
Yankeedriver Platinum AdvertiserAdvertiser Joel Young
Albuquerque, NM, USA   USA
In reply to # 3696705 by jbman Gotcha! That's kind of what I meant to ask, but much clearer. The last thing I want to deal with is changing the springs right now, but I'll cross that bridge when I get there. Thanks!

Jefferson,

Way cool project! It's funny that my wife--who is a serious environmentalist--has been asking me if I'd ever do this. She tries to shame me into it on occasion, as one of my gigs is serving as hearing officer for the local environmental department.

Anyway, I had planned on getting a Bugeye for an engine swap down the road, and I mused recently with my wife that the 'engine' might actually end up being an electric motor. You're an inspiration!

Joel

Member Services:
Innovative DIY performance and reliability upgrades.
ohlord Avatar
ohlord Gold Member Rob C
North of Seattle, N.W., USA   USA
1957 Land Rover Series I "EYEYIYI"
1971 MG MGB
1971 MG MGB "Bedouin 2"
One of those Dual Siamese 9inch AC regen has 1000ft lb of torque
Pricey at 7 grand
Fry the tires and everything else right off.
EV West sells a coupler for smaller dual 9 matings or a smaller AC regen with plenty of torque in a midget for 4grand
Only weighs 115 pounds 9x14 inches

You've done a very nice jobthumbs up

In reply to # 3696629 by jbman Yes, it is. It is a Kostov 11. ~200/250V, ~200/250 Amps continuous, depending on whether you wire the field coils in series or in parallel. I would frankly prefer an AC setup, but it was too cost prohibitive for the power levels I was looking for.

In reply to # 3696609 by Jim Blackwood Is this a DC motor?

"I'm a long way gone down this wild road I'm on
It's gonna take me where I'm bound
It's a long way around"

"These are the days that must happen to you"

RD2 Radar/ Electronic Warfare Technician
Vietnam 1969-1972

fiveiron Avatar
fiveiron Silver Member Alton Scarborough
Wellsboro Pa., USA   USA
1973 MG MGB "Mable"
1974 MG MGB "2nd B"
I like it. looks like you're doing some fine work.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster