Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

jbman Avatar
jbman Silver Member Jefferson Black
Colorado Springs, CO, USA   USA
A few people had asked for photos at various points in time, and I'd like to share what I've been working on! The first few photos are where I started, and the later ones are where I'm at now. My powerplant is a 45 Kw rated motor - a Kostov 11. That's it's continuous rating, but it can peak much higher. It can do ~60 HP, 0 RPM to redline, all day long, direct drive with no shifting. I can exceed that continuous rating periodically, and I expect to be able to run it up to 200 Kw, which will put the midget much closer to ~270 HP. I don't anticipate ever needing or wanting to do that (I'd surely break something). But I could!

I am using a DIY controller from Paul Holmes, which will be finished shortly. I have about 10Kwh of batteries in the trunk, which will honestly probably last me 30 miles or so at 60. Maybe more, depending on the final weight and such. This is for around town cruising, dates with my girl downtown, and silly electric burnouts. So the most it will see in a day is probably 10-15 miles at 35 Mph smiling smiley

I have an on board charger, and a large DC-DC converter to keep the 12v battery topped up and power the accessories.

The interior is nearly finished, but I'll have to shoot some pictures later. I redid the entire dash with my own switches and lights. I'm reusing the stock gauges. I need to add the temp gauge and finish the speedometer.

All that's left to do is the battery run from the trunk, mount the cables in the engine bay for the motor, and bend the case for the controller.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
IMG_0191.JPG    65.3 KB
IMG_0191.JPG

IMG_0192.JPG    62.9 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
IMG_0653.JPG    60.5 KB
IMG_0659.JPG    39.7 KB
IMG_0661.JPG    63.7 KB
IMG_0470.JPG    54.6 KB
IMG_0475.JPG    44 KB
CountBasey Avatar
CountBasey Thomas Basey
Brunswick, OH, USA   USA
1976 MG Midget 1500 "Opus"
Cool project. I'd love to be around when your nearly silent Midget "wastes" it's first Mustang off the line at a stop light. The rest of us original gas-engine owners will have to live vicariously thru you.

Keep sending updates.

Thomas (Count) Basey
Member of Emerald Necklace MG Register - www.mgcleveland.com

“With each replacement of parts, my British car slowly becomes Chinese.”

1974MGMidget Avatar
1974MGMidget Silver Member Jack Orkin
Grayson, GA, USA   USA
Hey, Jefferson, don't know if I would ever be interested in that kind of swap, but I can certainly appreciate what you are doing. It will be interesting to see how the final weight compares to the original. Did you have to upgrade the suspension at all? Looking forward to the roadtest!
Jack

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
jbman Avatar
Thanks! I don't think I'll need to change the suspension. The overall weight is relatively close to stock, probably +- 50 lbs, but some of it did shift rearwards... batteries in the trunk and all. Losing the gas tank helps tip that a bit more in my favor, though. The suspension isn't sagging and still feels good, but we will have to wait for the road test. The balance is certainly thrown off a bit, but I'm not a skilled enough driver to notice, probably XD I'm used to driving the other project, which is the least practical driver of all, so this will probably be a step up in some ways, frankly!

My front shocks appear to be shot, however, and the lever shocks are a pain to get without some coin! I don't want to throw some junk off of eBay on there... "Rebuilt". I want to get the Peter Caldwell rebuilds, so I'm holding off at the moment.

It's kind of funny, because one of my other projects is a '66 Mustang with a supercharged v8. I'm really looking forward to comparing the performance of the Midget to that! I suspect they'll be closer than I'd like, but I expect the Mustang to hold the lead tongue sticking out smiley The surprise factor will make up for that, though.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-03-12 10:11 AM by jbman.

76lucas Avatar
76lucas Gold Member Josh L
Floyd, VA, USA   USA
1978 MG Midget 1500
1979 MG Midget 1500 "Parts Car"
Wow, you have made a really great car. I know I couldn't have come up with an idea like that much less make it actually work. I like it.

If you never try to do it You will never be able to do it

Kerr Avatar
Kerr Platinum Member Norm Kerr
Ann Arbor, MI, USA   USA
Awesome work, Jefferson!

By the way, I am worried that your front battery hold down clamp looks kind of close to the terminals, and if it might be able to short them if it shifted. Maybe if that is so, you could put some rubber insulation on it to make sure it can't touch the terminals (like, a slit piece of heater hose, or something like that)?

Norm

noahnsteph Noah Corr
Omaha, NE, USA   USA
Holy hell that's a big electric motor! eye popping smiley I can't wait to see the finished product.

jbman Avatar
The mount is EXTREMELY rigid and tight (I couldn't move the battery without a crowbar!), but I agree. They're close enough that I dropped a tool and almost shorted it. There is a plastic lip around the terminal that will prevent a short from the side, but I don't trust it. A piece of hose around the clamping bar is a great idea, as it will also give a little cushion for the top of the battery so the clamp doesn't crush anything.

In reply to # 3695807 by Kerr Awesome work, Jefferson!

By the way, I am worried that your front battery hold down clamp looks kind of close to the terminals, and if it might be able to short them if it shifted. Maybe if that is so, you could put some rubber insulation on it to make sure it can't touch the terminals (like, a slit piece of heater hose, or something like that)?

Norm

Wayne Burner Avatar
Chester, NH, USA   USA
I would take a piece of inner tube, and slice it the long way. 1/2 under the clamp,and the other 1/2, flipped up to cover the terminals.thumbs up

Steve-in-Florida Avatar
Steve-in-Florida Steve Hill
Orlando, FL, USA   USA
1974 MG Midget MkIII
1975 MG Midget 1500 "Good Lil' Car"
1976 MG Midget 1500
1978 MG Midget 1500    & more
Please, let me just say, "WOW"!

Please clarify. No transmission, therefore, no clutch?. No shifter? Just a direct electric drive? Accelerator pedal and brake? Warp drive button?

Wow!

Pretty cool project. Thank you for sharing.

Steve

jbman Avatar
That's right - no transmission, no clutch, no nothing smiling smiley Go pedal and Stop pedal. Warp drive functionality is rolled into the Go pedal XD There is a yoke on the shaft of the motor that connects directly to the driveshaft with 1310 u-joints. The driveshaft has a slip joint in it, and then connects directly to the flange on the diff with 1310 u-joints as well.

In reply to # 3695903 by Steve-in-Florida Please, let me just say, "WOW"!

Please clarify. No transmission, therefore, no clutch?. No shifter? Just a direct electric drive? Accelerator pedal and brake? Warp drive button?

Wow!

Pretty cool project. Thank you for sharing.

Steve

29roadster George Korner
New Port Richey, FL, USA   USA
You could use heat shrink go t granger site they have HD large sizes use on large cables in the electric work I use them one some of my tool handle which I use on live wires or near live parts good luck nice work

jmac Avatar
jmac Silver Member Jere McSparran
Greenup, IL, USA   USA
1970 MG Midget "Joy Ride"
1978 MG Midget "Therapy"
1978 MG Midget "(SOLD)"
I love it! Great job, Jefferson! We will definitely want finished project pictures and reviews.

You should also think about doing a complete guide to electric conversion; instructions, parts used, modifications made, etc. Then once you have driven it for a while you can make suggestions for improvement, for instance, how to get a little more speed and longevity; 70 mph/100 mile batteries. It looks like you have room in the front for some more batteries, etc.

JMac
JMAC Engine Shop
http://www.jmacengineshop.com

jbman Avatar
I was actually thinking of heat shrink. I like the neat appearance, and I'm using it all over, anyway.

In reply to # 3696333 by 29roadster You could use heat shrink go t granger site they have HD large sizes use on large cables in the electric work I use them one some of my tool handle which I use on live wires or near live parts good luck nice work

jbman Avatar
I would very much like to do that once I get on the road and test everything. Speed will not be an issue, and the Midget should top out at ~ 98 MPH. Purely a mechanical RPM limit of the motor, as it has more than adequate power to go much faster. The range could definitely be improved, but I went with Chevy Volt batteries as the most economical option. A smaller battery package would allow you to fill in many more nooks and crannies without maiming the car to get them to fit! A smaller motor would have made that easier as well. The 11" motor that I opted for is simply too large to fit easily in the opening of the transmission tunnel. A smaller 9" motor would probably squeeze in better, allowing more batteries under the hood more easily.

In reply to # 3696360 by jmac I love it! Great job, Jefferson! We will definitely want finished project pictures and reviews.

You should also think about doing a complete guide to electric conversion; instructions, parts used, modifications made, etc. Then once you have driven it for a while you can make suggestions for improvement, for instance, how to get a little more speed and longevity; 70 mph/100 mile batteries. It looks like you have room in the front for some more batteries, etc.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster