Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Lionel77 Lionel LM
Chandler AZ, AZ, USA   USA
Hi,

Continuing the maintenance on the Midget, would like to check oil level on the gerabox as it is leaking a bit,
On different other post the filler is shown on the tunel next to the radio console behind a plastic cover,

Inpected mine both side, no way to find it,
PO had coated some foam material, looked carefully thru it but no plastic cover seen.

My 1500 manual show passenger side but is not clear about the location.

Any help welcome

Thx
Lionel

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
IMG_5372.JPG    67.2 KB
IMG_5372.JPG

IMG_5373.JPG    48.6 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
bev sleet Avatar
bev sleet Bev S
Raunds, Northamptonshire, UK   GBR
Lionel the bolt in your picture is one of the gearbox mounting bolt and there's another one on the other side of the tunnel as well, go under the car and the filler /level plug is on the side of the box, make sure you can remove it first if you thinking of draining the box to change all of the oil, number 8 in your second picture is the filler/level plug.

CountBasey Avatar
CountBasey Thomas Basey
Brunswick, OH, USA   USA
1976 MG Midget 1500 "Opus"
Yup, under the car - no easy access panel. You’ll need a flex hose and pump to get oil up to the fill hole. Most automotive places carry them (they screw onto the oil bottle).

Get ready - the space between the tunnel and the plug is tight. I always stock up on expletives before changing mine as I know I will use quite a few during the plug replacement. smiling smiley

Thomas (Count) Basey
Member of Emerald Necklace MG Register - www.mgcleveland.com

“With each replacement of parts, my British car slowly becomes Chinese.”

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Colonel musturd 79 Avatar
Colonel musturd 79 Michael McKinney
Winchester, VA, USA   USA
1978 MG Midget 1500 "Colonel Mustard"
1987 Pontiac Fiero "SILVER BULLET"
I have found the easiest way to get the new oil in to the gear box is to use a long rubber tube and fill from the engine compartment, be sure to have a drain pan below the fill port to catch the spillage.

Amore della Strada
For the love of the road

dickmoritz Avatar
dickmoritz Platinum Member Dick Moritz
Philly 'burbs, PA, USA   USA
https://www.harborfreight.com/gear-oil-and-fluid-pump-61746.html

Also available at any auto parts store...

Dick

In reply to # 3687968 by CountBasey Yup, under the car - no easy access panel. You’ll need a flex hose and pump to get oil up to the fill hole. Most automotive places carry them (they screw onto the oil bottle).

Get ready - the space between the tunnel and the plug is tight. I always stock up on expletives before changing mine as I know I will use quite a few during the plug replacement. smiling smiley

Errabundi Saepe, Semper Certi
(Often wrong, but always certain)

jmac Avatar
jmac Silver Member Jere McSparran
Greenup, IL, USA   USA
1970 MG Midget "Joy Ride"
1978 MG Midget "Therapy"
1978 MG Midget "(SOLD)"
It isn't in a convenient location. I have a pump type oil can I use when checking the level and topping off because I usually can get it full in 5 or 6 pumps. But when changing the oil out completely I have used the method Michael McKinney talked about.

JMac
JMAC Engine Shop
http://www.jmacengineshop.com

MichaelV Avatar
MichaelV Michael Voelker
Pulaski, WI, USA   USA
So I am correct in reading that on late model 1500s there is no rubber plug over the filler hole? That would explain why I can't find one on the transmission tunnel from inside the car. Just want to be sure before I go putting it back on jackstands and crawling around...

CountBasey Avatar
CountBasey Thomas Basey
Brunswick, OH, USA   USA
Break out the jack stands (or I use front ramps). Just a male square head plug up under the transmission hump (passenger side rear of transmission on my 1500).

Thomas (Count) Basey

MichaelV Avatar
MichaelV Michael Voelker
Pulaski, WI, USA   USA
Well dare I say...that was a super easy job. Took 10 minutes; as easy as draining and refilling the diff.

Since I have y'all here...this is off this topic, but whilst I was under the car inspecting other stuff I noticed this disconnected green wire, one seemingly of a pair, running in the neighborhood of the shaft U-joint. Apparently being disconnected doesn't affect the operation of the car, but I'm not sure what it's for. The wiring diagram tells me what, not where...so I'm at a loss.

It's way to cramped to get my hands in the little cutout to reconnect it. I pulled the shifter boot off from the top but I can't reach it there either.

confused smiley

Attachments:
IMG_9667.JPG    46.7 KB
IMG_9667.JPG

MichaelV Avatar
MichaelV Michael Voelker
Pulaski, WI, USA   USA
Ah, think I found it... reverse light switch. (???)

I bet I don't have reverse lights...

Not a huge deal if so, add it to the punch list!

CountBasey Avatar
CountBasey Thomas Basey
Brunswick, OH, USA   USA
Looks like it. I can’t tell from the photo, but if that’s right below where the gear shift is - then that’s what it is. I hate the bullet style connectors in tight places - especially with my fat fingers.

Thomas (Count) Basey

bev sleet Avatar
bev sleet Bev S
Raunds, Northamptonshire, UK   GBR
Michael there is a rubber bung in the side of the gearbox tunnel specifically to get to the wiring and changing the reversing light switch, it may be under the sound deadening felt but it is there toward the top of the tunnel.

MichaelV Avatar
MichaelV Michael Voelker
Pulaski, WI, USA   USA
I can actually see the rubber bung from under the car, but it is very small--like an inch? Not sure how you'd work through that hole. I'll take another look from the top.

refisk Avatar
refisk Rick Fisk
Frankenmuth, MI, USA   USA
That rubber bung on the side of the tunnel is for greasing the u-joint, not filling the trans. Fill the trans from under the car with a $10 pump from AutoZone.

In reply to # 3738323 by MichaelV I can actually see the rubber bung from under the car, but it is very small--like an inch? Not sure how you'd work through that hole. I'll take another look from the top.

MichaelV Avatar
MichaelV Michael Voelker
Pulaski, WI, USA   USA
In reply to # 3738339 by refisk That rubber bung on the side of the tunnel is for greasing the u-joint, not filling the trans. Fill the trans from under the car with a $10 pump from AutoZone.

In reply to # 3738323 by MichaelV I can actually see the rubber bung from under the car, but it is very small--like an inch? Not sure how you'd work through that hole. I'll take another look from the top.

Sorry this is my fault for having too many unrelated topics in this thread.

I filled the gear box from under the car, easy peasy.

Whilst under the car I noted that one of the backup light wires is disconnected and I can't get my fingers in the cutout. Maybe two pairs of long nosed pliers would work.

The bung hole is definitely too small to work through.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster