Fan Clutch

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Toms MG Midget Avatar
Awendaw, SC, USA   USA
The below short video is of my '76s fan clutch.....with the engine off, the fan has about 1/8" front to back play, and running it is noisy as you can hear from the video.

I went to the library and it took me to YouTube and John Twist's video on "fan clutch repair" using two hose clamps. Has anyone on here used that method for fixing a fan clutch versus replacing it? Thoughts, comments etc. welcome.

https://www.facebook.com/tmeservey/videos/10213635369511250/

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
btinsley Avatar
btinsley Bishop Tinsley
Atl, GA, USA   USA
1976 MG Midget 1500 "Dino"
On clicking the Facebook link, this is the message that I got:

The page you requested cannot be displayed right now. It may be temporarily unavailable, the link you clicked on may be broken or expired, or you may not have permission to view this page.

bishop

you can't trump the amusement of reality

dimini Avatar
dimini Don Ipock
Kansas City, MO, USA   USA
Yes, I watched the Twist video and followed with my own $2 repair rather than buying a new clutch fan. The fix works like a champ, except for the fact that the fan is incredibly loud when running, and of course, it will run the entire time. At the time, the car had a very quiet exhaust system and the only thing I could hear while driving was the fan, literally.
Within several months I removed the fan and replaced with an electric fan. My car is a driver, not a collector, so I'd rather have a quiet and more efficient electric fan than the proper OEM clutch version. If you're on the fence, spend $2 on two clamps, splice them together and spend 10 minutes tightening them down, per John Twists' video, and see for your self.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Toms MG Midget Avatar
Awendaw, SC, USA   USA
Thank you, I have clamps I assume I tighten them right down on that shaft. I may go electric because of living in the south, I will be driving in extremely hot weather,

maraud Avatar
maraud Gold Member Sean K
Longwood, FL, USA   USA
I went a different route and put an older spitfire 1300 (i think) water pump in that let me run a much quieter fixed 4 blade fan and it keeps things cooler to boot!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-02-15 07:58 AM by maraud.

jamesm5858 Avatar
jamesm5858 James Moore
Kent, OH, USA   USA
Works like a charm. Be sure to install the hose clamps so that the closed end is goes into the direction of rotationJMcool smiley

G0Bigred JD Wyborny
Winterville, NC, USA   USA
1976 MG M-Type Midget "The Midge"
I replaced mine with an older water pump and fan. Works a lot better than the fan clutch.

Irish1979MG Pete Emmert
Indianapolis, IN, USA   USA
I just bought a 79 midget with the worst noise ever heard in a running car. And it was the clutch fan, didn't have much wiggle but that was the cause of the racket.
I followed the lead on here and went with the 75 sprite water pump, 10" hayden electric fan and Hayden adjustable thermostat. EASY compared to my lack of skill. The fan is pushing from the front and that did push the radiator back but without the fan on the water pump its got good clearance. A few issues of my own making but I would recommend that change.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1980 MG MGB

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links