AutoShrine Sponsor

littlecars Avatar
littlecars David Bassett
Nashville, TN, USA   USA
1965 Chevrolet Corvair "Ski Team Transport SOLD!"
1965 MG Midget MkII "Buffoon"
1966 MG Midget MkII "Swiss Cheese"
1970 Triumph Spitfire MkIII "Tamara's Turd... SOLD!!!"    & more
This motor is in a car I will be parting out for my 1965 project. Can someone identify this header and if the company who made it still exists? The car had some interesting upgrades and shows that it was loved before being abandoned outside for decades.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
Huntsville Midget custom header.jpg    55.7 KB
Huntsville Midget custom header.jpg

Kerr Avatar
Kerr Platinum Member Norm Kerr
Ann Arbor, MI, USA   USA
looks like a 3 into 1, good for racing (high RPM), but a long center branch (LCB) is supposed to be best for road use (good torque at low~ medium RPMs).

S1 Elan Kurt. Appley
Akron, Ia., USA   USA
David,looks like the engine is a 1275 rather than a 10CC as well. If the tubes on that header were big enough, I'd be interested in it to modify for a Datsun installation.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
dickmoritz Avatar
dickmoritz Platinum Member Dick Moritz
Philly 'burbs, PA, USA   USA
Agree with others. Motor mount configuration suggests A series engine. Lack of removable tappet covers indicates 1275...

Dick

Errabundi Saepe, Semper Certi
(Often wrong, but always certain)

littlecars Avatar
littlecars David Bassett
Nashville, TN, USA   USA
In reply to # 3681302 by S1 Elan David,looks like the engine is a 1275 rather than a 10CC as well. If the tubes on that header were big enough, I'd be interested in it to modify for a Datsun installation.

How big do you need them? Are you saying you can use this header if I carefully extract it from the rest of the engine?

Windrideror Avatar
Windrideror Carl Rosenburg
Redmond, OR, USA   USA
David it looks a lot like the Pace Setter header that is sold by Moss. My car also had one of these installed on it when I got it.

Carl

S1 Elan Kurt. Appley
Akron, Ia., USA   USA
In reply to # 3681379 by littlecars
In reply to # 3681302 by S1 Elan David,looks like the engine is a 1275 rather than a 10CC as well. If the tubes on that header were big enough, I'd be interested in it to modify for a Datsun installation.

How big do you need them? Are you saying you can use this header if I carefully extract it from the rest of the engine?

Yeah, i think so but I would guess that the tubes are small and it might not be worth the trouble. I'll have to do a quick measurement on what I would like tomorrow.

Kurt.

Speedracer Avatar
Speedracer Platinum Member Hap Waldrop
Greenville, SC, USA   USA
1967 MG MGB Racecar "The Biscuit"
Well it is a 3 into 1 in description, but really just a horrid el-cheapo header, that probably flows worse than the stock unit, that is not far from becoming dust, toss it in the scrap pile, it's junk.

Norm, if you want to see a real 3 into 1 race header, here ya go, this is my new race header. I have modified more from this pic, got rid of the cheesy collector to tube mounts, and changed that to a spring loaded amounting system that one would see on open wheel formula car, and got rid of the unionized mounting flange and made each tube mount independently, for ease of installing, also tweeked as for mounted on the engine in the car, to get it exactly the way I wanted, which included a newly modified trans cross member that no longer extends to the driver's side that allowed me to better tuck the entire system upward for better ground clearance. I am Cerkote-ing the entire system inside and out.

Hap Waldrop
Acme Speed Shop
864-370-3000
hapwaldrop@acmespeedshop.com

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-02-16 07:37 AM by Speedracer.

Member Services:
MG/ Triumph Performance Street/Race Engines - Cylinder Head Porting - Modified SU HS Carbs - DIY Engine Rebuild Kits With Free Tech Advice - VTO alloy wheels for British Sport Cars, and others

Attachments:
Kirkmgb3-1headers.jpg    64 KB
Kirkmgb3-1headers.jpg

S1 Elan Kurt. Appley
Akron, Ia., USA   USA
Guess I really don't need it, David. I got lucky and pickup a header from a Ratsun guy that will be a bolt on.

Kurt

purpleGT Avatar
purpleGT Gold Member Bud Osbourne
Pittsburgh, PA., USA   USA
Nice work, Hap!

littlecars Avatar
littlecars David Bassett
Nashville, TN, USA   USA
In reply to # 3682444 by Speedracer Well it is a 3 into 1 in description, but really just a horrid el-cheapo header, that probably flows worse than the stock unit, that is not far from becoming dust, toss it in the scrap pile, it's junk.

Yup thumbs up. That was my take on it...pretty damn puny and basic. If it wasn't already oxidized dust it would be if I tried to separate it from the engine. I haven't gotten much further into the "competition" aspect of this 66 parts car. I CAN say someone strapped a converted house current 110v purple fan in front of the radiator to cool things down. This was a Texas car. The blades were melted and resting in the pan in front of the radiator.

Attachments:
My Swiss Cheese Valve Cover Sticker.jpg    49.3 KB
My Swiss Cheese Valve Cover Sticker.jpg

Speedracer Avatar
Speedracer Platinum Member Hap Waldrop
Greenville, SC, USA   USA
1967 MG MGB Racecar "The Biscuit"
Winners Circle is back up and running now with new owner who is very passionate. if I was going to get a header for a 1275, my tow choices would be the Winners Circle LCB, or a Maniflow LCB, mot the header are most well known vendors sell is no gain over a stock manifold. The WC LCB header is nice because it has slip on it making it easier to install and remove without pulling the steering column. Pacesetter and Monza are two brands to stay away from, horrible designs as for performance.

Hap Waldrop
Acme Speed Shop
864-370-3000
hapwaldrop@acmespeedshop.com

Member Services:
MG/ Triumph Performance Street/Race Engines - Cylinder Head Porting - Modified SU HS Carbs - DIY Engine Rebuild Kits With Free Tech Advice - VTO alloy wheels for British Sport Cars, and others
littlecars Avatar
littlecars David Bassett
Nashville, TN, USA   USA
The header came off without any difficulty yesterday. Even if I felt like rewelding the flange, blasting it, then Cerkote it, I'd still have a crappy header.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster