Got it started after towing it home yesterday

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Toms MG Midget Avatar
Awendaw, SC, USA   USA
As per yesterday, a mile from the house and it just died. Wanted to start, would and then die. This afternoon, (because I've been away for almost three years) started going through the forum, reading post etc. Came upon one dealing with mechanical vs electrical fuel pumps, and someone talking about 'vapor lock.' Hmmm I said, whereas mine just quit, I wonder........went out, took the gas cap off, pulled the choke out, and VRRRRRRMMMMM. Back in the garage safe and sound. However, the plastic fan is very very noisy. I will have a look a that on a warmer day.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
AN5L8016 Avatar
AN5L8016 Mark Haynes
Nederland, CO, USA   USA
That's not vapor lock, that's a sealed tank with a non-vented cap. It sounds like you have a closed off/plugged line in the vapor return line or the charcoal canister. the system should not build vacuum in the tank, as you found out. try putting compressed air (low pressure) through the vapor return line with the fuel filler cap off, it should hiss at you.

'58 Bugeye
'05 Mini Cooper S

btinsley Avatar
btinsley Bishop Tinsley
Atl, GA, USA   USA
1976 MG Midget 1500 "Dino"
In reply to # 3680786 by Toms MG Midget However, the plastic fan is very very noisy. I will have a look a that on a warmer day.

Since it's a 1500, you might want to take a look at the fan clutch. It gets noisy before failing & car runs hot during street driving once failed. Symptom is a high pitched whirring sound. There is a remedy outside of replacing the fan clutch demonstrated by John Twist on YT. ....But as you indicated, first things first.

bishop

you can't trump the amusement of reality

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
GeorgeOhr Nonya Business
Yes, confused, USA   USA
Make sure it's the corrct vented cap. VB sold me the wrong one and it ran me in circles.

refisk Avatar
refisk Rick Fisk
Frankenmuth, MI, USA   USA
A rubber bumper Midget should have a non-vented gas cap. The fuel system is vented through the rear charcoal canister.

In reply to # 3680821 by GeorgeOhr Make sure it's the corrct vented cap. VB sold me the wrong one and it ran me in circles.

pinkyponk Avatar
pinkyponk Gold Member Adrian Page
Berwick, NS, Canada   CAN
Why does a 1970 Midget have rubber bumpers?

Adrian

Home built Eaton M62 Supercharger with 9psi boost, "stock" high ratio rocker arms, 8:1 compression, Piper 270 cam, ported head, matched manifolds, CB Performance computerized ignition.

infinity2018 Avatar
infinity2018 Joe T
Denver, CO, USA   USA
1979 MG Midget 1500 "Inca"
In reply to # 3680914 by refisk A rubber bumper Midget should have a non-vented gas cap. The fuel system is vented through the rear charcoal canister.
Quote:

I agree, it's not a vented cap specifically so the gas fumes can go through the charcoal filtration system before being emitted into the atmosphere. I had the same problem and it turned out to be a clogged restrictor in the gas tank vent line. It's located beneath the air box in a rubber elbow that connects two metal lines. It's brass and has a hole small enough to stick a pin through. If that pinhole gets clogged then it won't run right....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-02-13 09:46 PM by infinity2018.

refisk Avatar
refisk Rick Fisk
The car we're talking about in this thread is a '76 Midget that Tom just bought a few days ago. His avatar picture shows the Midget. He just hasn't changed his car list yet. smiling smiley

In reply to # 3680940 by pinkyponk Why does a 1970 Midget have rubber bumpers?

Adrian

Toms MG Midget Avatar
Awendaw, SC, USA   USA
HAHAHA, Thanks for pointing out that "actually" I had a 70 B and a '77 Midget, somehow the two got combined with the picture of my present 76.

bev sleet Avatar
bev sleet Bev S
Raunds, Northamptonshire, UK   GBR
In reply to # 3680914 by refisk A rubber bumper Midget should have a non-vented gas cap. The fuel system is vented through the rear charcoal canister.

In reply to # 3680821 by GeorgeOhr Make sure it's the corrct vented cap. VB sold me the wrong one and it ran me in circles.

Hello Rick , my midget was made for the British market and therefor dous not have any charcoal filters or any other sort of emission system, it dous have a non vented tank with a vented fuel cap though , obviously USA cars are different in that respect smileys with beer

refisk Avatar
refisk Rick Fisk
Hi Bev,

US cars of that vintage have quite a system for capturing evaporative emissions. The crankcase, carb float bowls, and the fuel tank are all vented through a charcoal adsorbtion canister that captures hydrocarbons trying to escape into the atmosphere. If any part of the system fails the car doesn't run properly.

I always thought the system is rather silly because while it is very effective at capturing the tiny amount of emissions from the carbs and tank it does absolutely nothing for the emissions resulting from simply filling the fuel tank. If you have a seven gallon tank that is nearly empty and you fill it with fresh fuel you just pumped nearly seven gallons of very heavily hydrocarbon laden air back into the atmosphere. And yes, I know a few US states have vapor recovery systems. But most don't. Where I live the filling station tanks don't have a vapor recovery system either. When the tanker drops 5,000 gallons in the station tank 5,000 gallons of vapor go right into the atmosphere. Makes the stuff on our cars rather pointless.

In reply to # 3681001 by bev sleet

Hello Rick , my midget was made for the British market and therefor dous not have any charcoal filters or any other sort of emission system, it dous have a non vented tank with a vented fuel cap though , obviously USA cars are different in that respect smileys with beer

jmac Avatar
jmac Silver Member Jere McSparran
Greenup, IL, USA   USA
1970 MG Midget "Joy Ride"
1978 MG Midget "Therapy"
1978 MG Midget "(SOLD)"
Ha! I never thought of that Rick. You are correct. We don't have any way to collect the vapors in IL either. SMH

But back to Tom's issue... I removed all my emission equipment including the canisters (just because I wanted to clean up the engine compartment). The vapor line that comes comes from the front connects to a little expansion tank on the right side of the boot. I cut that line about 4" from the expansion tank and put a little filter on the end to keep dirt from getting sucked into the tank. That made a way for the tank to get air so it would create a vacuum as the gas got sucked out of the tank.

Good looking 76, btw! Welcome back.

JMac
JMAC Engine Shop
http://www.jmacengineshop.com

Toms MG Midget Avatar
Awendaw, SC, USA   USA
I want to thank all of you who responded to my gas issue. AND for bringing me up to speed again on the "closed system" these particular Midgets have for emission control. It is all coming back to me now. It amazes me how much I have forgotten in the small space of time since my last Midget. The hoses and connector have all been replaced going from the carb to the charcoal canister. I will check all those connections today and make sure that little pinhole is open. Considering the car is 42 years old, I wonder if it would be prudent to take the canister off and make sure the charcoal is still functioning (I think I remember guys saying they have replaced that charcoal with the same stuff they use in the charcoal filter in fish tanks.

Thanks again for all who responded and those who didn't but mentally kept me in my thoughts. That is why the first thing I did after buy this new one, is come to this forum. The vast knowledge of "everything MG" much appreciated. Tom

Kerr Avatar
Kerr Platinum Member Norm Kerr
Ann Arbor, MI, USA   USA
You are correct, the activated charcoal (one teaspoon has the surface area equivalent to a football field) used in fish tank filters is a direct replacement for what is in the canister. If you remove it you'll find the bottom unscrews and then there is a sort of a coffee filter and then the charcoal.

Something like 90%+ of the hydrocarbons that a car emits come from while it is sitting still, so these simple, and light weight systems were adopted as the very first steps in reducing the choking smog that used to cover LA.

Key benefit to having it function properly is that even if your garage is very well insulated, and heated (mine is like a living room) there is no smell of gasoline.

N

Toms MG Midget Avatar
Awendaw, SC, USA   USA

Thanks Norm, after my nap I am going out and investigate it.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster