AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

refisk Avatar
refisk Rick Fisk
Frankenmuth, MI, USA   USA
Christopher, Kurt, Chuck, and Dick,

This is what I'm up to. smiling smiley

And not to worry Dick, the paint on this 50+ year old race car made the trip under the tarp just fine. The tarp was a much better alternative to the salt and road slop of a 500 mile trip through a raging snow storm. We had the car wrapped like a burrito and laced up like a football. The tarp didn't flap and no road salt and slop got on the car. Got more snow on the car while unloading and rolling into the garage than we did on the trip. smileys with beer

Christopher, flat towing your Midget is fine. But like others have said I would disconnect the driveshaft to go 100 miles.

In reply to # 3680571 by dickmoritz Note to all. If you care about the paint on your car, never tow/trailer it with any kind of cover or wrapping on it. The wind will continuously whip the fabric and it will quickly wear through the paint on all of the edges of your car...
....<snip>....

Dick

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
IMG_3106.JPEG    52.2 KB
IMG_3106.JPEG

Chas 906 Avatar
Chas 906 Chuck Peterson
Iron Mountain, MI, USA   USA
1961 MG Midget MkI "Little Red Rider"
Looks great Rick! Good find. Thanks for the pic. Ya going racing?

refisk Avatar
refisk Rick Fisk
If the stars line up right - yes!

In reply to # 3680933 by Chas 906 Looks great Rick! Good find. Thanks for the pic. Ya going racing?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
jimandcassdavis Jim Davis
Swanton, OH, USA   USA
I towed my bugeye on an open trailer and all this happened!

Attachments:
IMAG0357.jpg    40.7 KB
IMAG0357.jpg

Chas 906 Avatar
Chas 906 Chuck Peterson
Looks like a project in the works!

oleanderjoe Avatar
oleanderjoe Gold Member Joseph Baba
Fresno, CA, USA   USA
What happens when you have an accident and you lied to the rental place. .?? Can you say FRAUD, mis represented to
Deceive ??? Just saying ??

Member Services:
Kerr Avatar
Kerr Platinum Member Norm Kerr
Ann Arbor, MI, USA   USA
"What happens when you have an accident "

most likely, the maximum liability (to the rental company) would be for the value of the trailer, because your own insurance covers you, your car and your towed project

and even then, there'd probably have to be a factor in the accident which was caused by your towed car not being the one you'd said you were going to tow, to make them care that it was different

On the other hand, if the rental company offers you supplemental insurance, that paperwork you'd have to read very carefully, but even then, they would most likely merely deny coverage and you'd be out your $12, or whatever it was.

Insurance is different in every state, though, so maybe someone who works in the insurance industry will chime in with more.

N

noahnsteph Noah Corr
Omaha, NE, USA   USA
And when they refuse to rent a trailer that is the proper size to even hold a Midget because it's so narrow I don't feel too guilty. The car wasn't running so no way in he'll is it making it up on the true car trailer & the car dolly has the front wheels hanging by a thread because they are too wide. This is why I will likely just buy my own 7×14 trailer & be done with rentals all together. winking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-02-16 07:15 AM by noahnsteph.

Chas 906 Avatar
Chas 906 Chuck Peterson
I've only trailered my car once and didn't have any problem with the rental place. I could have used an open trailer, but for an additional $20 chose an enclosed one.

Homerr Avatar
Homerr Jeff Kogut
Seattle, WA, USA   USA
1966 MG Midget MkII "For Sale"
1970 MG Midget MkIII "Midget On A Spit"
1971 MG Midget MkIII "The Donor"
1975 MG Midget MkIV "General MG"
Pic is towing my '66 in a U-haul 6x12 utility trailer with ramp. Strapped down plus a bare tire at each end at bumper height as extra security. I figured I was buying a pair of fenders being transported on a rolling fender rack, not a car. I'm well within the load capacity.

Attachments:
20170827_111441.jpg    54.1 KB
20170827_111441.jpg

Chas 906 Avatar
Chas 906 Chuck Peterson
Nice snug fit Jeff.

refisk Avatar
refisk Rick Fisk
LMAO

In reply to # 3682335 by oleanderjoe What happens when you have an accident and you lied to the rental place. .?? Can you say FRAUD, mis represented to
Deceive ??? Just saying ??

jimandcassdavis Jim Davis
Swanton, OH, USA   USA
Yes! New floors, A pillars, lower rear quarters, floors. Solid spring boxes a a good bonnet except chin piece replaced. Sandblasted, epoxy primer and two basecoats two clear coats of Iris Blue (original color per British Heritage). Came with a 1098 and a 1275 and a ribcase and boxes of parts. Probably still a year from completion.
Jim

emjay Jim English
Marietta, PA, USA   USA
Could it be that the rental restrictions are to protect the rental company from the customers suing them for damages caused by an inappropriate (in their eye) rig? If that's the case, it's no big deal if you change the names of those involved, but if you try to sue, they can throw out the case.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster