AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Lotus Avatar
Lotus Roy Hodgson
Villeneuve, VD, Switzerland   CHE
1974 MG MGB "Butterscotch"
Be careful if you install a modern all-singing all-dancing radio with Bluetooth, Wifi, USB etc. In order to keep all the settings these things are always drawing power. Don't run the car for a week and you have a dead battery. A battery cutout switch can solve the problem (if you remember to use it) but you will lose all your station presets each time you stop.

Over here we will be fully on DAB in a couple of years. I don't know if this will change anything.

The truth is mightier than the tweet

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Northern Midget Avatar
Northern Midget Norm Paterson
Haileybury, ON, Canada   CAN
1961 Morgan 4/4 "Joan"
1968 Fiat 600 "Luigi"
1976 MG Midget 1500 "None Yet"
Chas 906 Avatar
Chas 906 Chuck Peterson
Iron Mountain, MI, USA   USA
1961 MG Midget MkI "Little Red Rider"
Really nice and cheap set Norm. Did you convert your car to Neg. ground?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
geezer Avatar
geezer Silver Member charles durning
Magee, MS, USA   USA
1958 MG Magnette ZB "Chick Magnette (sold)"
1967 Morris Minor 1000 Saloon (2-door) "Marvin"
1974 MG MGB GT
Well that looks like a slick radio. Wish I had seen that one when I bought my Boss 612. Not to knock the Boss radio since it works great. I just don't care for the multi function buttons and the one knob does it all. For me it requires the manual to figure out which button to push to get into the endless sub menus.

I like a radio with a simple on/off/vol knob and a tune knob. The USB and SD ports are a nice feature.

Who's version of right are we talking about? When you get 10 LBC owners in a room you'll get 12 different answers.

Northern Midget Avatar
Northern Midget Norm Paterson
Haileybury, ON, Canada   CAN
1961 Morgan 4/4 "Joan"
1968 Fiat 600 "Luigi"
1976 MG Midget 1500 "None Yet"
My '76 was made neg ground.

But it's no big deal to isolate the radio from ground and run two wires to it.

geezer Avatar
Magee, MS, USA   USA
1974 MG MGB GT
Switching to neg ground is easy and should be done. Frankly I don't remember the details but it should be lined out somewhere on MGE or I'll bet MINIMANIA.com has an article on the subject.

Who's version of right are we talking about? When you get 10 LBC owners in a room you'll get 12 different answers.

66jalopy Avatar
66jalopy Silver Member Phillip Jolliffe
Lake City, FL, USA   USA
The antenna connects radio to ground so, yes it is a big deal. Just get you Lucas smoke container refill when you do it.

jimandcassdavis Jim Davis
Swanton, OH, USA   USA
It only requires repolarizing the generator. If you have an electric fuel pump you may need to replace or reverse the wires. (I did). I also added a dymo label under the hood indicating the car is now negative earth.
You can find the procedure somewhere on this site or by a web search. Altogether it took around 15 minutes and can be reversed easily if you change your mind later.

oleanderjoe Avatar
oleanderjoe Gold Member Joseph Baba
Fresno, CA, USA   USA
Don't forget the "Coil and Tach", and on some models of car, (MGA) ?? Fuel sender and Fuel Gauge, may need redoing ?? Seen it work on some and not others. ????

Member Services:
jimandcassdavis Jim Davis
Swanton, OH, USA   USA
Good point. Although the car will run, the spark will be weak unless the coil wires are reversed. On the older tach models the white loop on the back of the tach needs to be reversed in direction. Don't know about the newer style but I believe reversing the coil wires will take care of it.

geezer Avatar
Magee, MS, USA   USA
1974 MG MGB GT
This might be helpful for changing to neg ground.

https://www.spridgetmania.com/Electrical_polarity

angliagt Avatar
angliagt Doug Milota
Roanoke, VA, USA   USA
1967 MG MGB GT "The MG"
1974 MG Midget MkIII "The Midget"
I'd just go with an older AM,or AM/FM radio.
That way they won't want to steal it,& do damage to your car.

oleanderjoe Avatar
Fresno, CA, USA   USA
I believe Internal Polarity inside the Tach needs reversing. I usually just send them down to West valley, they convert them to "Single Wire" pickup, don't need the LOOP thing and they work with points or Electronic Ign. Looks like the original instrument. They keep the original face, and can also restore THAT if necessary Got a picture of a "Bug Eye" one I had done last summer Let me dig up the picture and I will put it up. Cheers.

Member Services:
oleanderjoe Avatar
Fresno, CA, USA   USA
FOUND IT

Member Services:

Attachments:
Bugeye and Pinky's last day 009.jpg    41.4 KB
Bugeye  and Pinky's last day 009.jpg

Bugeye and Pinky's last day 010.jpg    46.3 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
oleanderjoe Avatar
Fresno, CA, USA   USA
CARVER: This is what I was talking about yesterday. Datsun 1600, "VERTICAL" mounted radio like early "Corvette" Nothing available like that anymore. Either fix it, or adapt a remote unit. That is why I did the ipod, MP3 thing. Cheers

Member Services:

Attachments:
Dave Finished 002.jpg    52.4 KB
Dave Finished 002.jpg

Dave Finished 006.jpg    44.9 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster