AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Inner tubes and radial tires
  This topic is about my 1973 MG Midget MkIII
James E Avatar
James E Silver Member Jimmy Campbell
Bedford, VA, USA   USA
Is anyone having problems with radials chaffing the inner tubes? I have had 2 go flat from the problem. It never happened when I was running my old Michelins. I'm thinking about using some of the product that's advertised on tv and sold at Wal-Mart. Can't think of the name of it at the moment but it comes in spray cans and brush use cans. I'm thinking about coating the spoke area on the rim and going tubeless. Ideas, comments or rude remarks appreciated!

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
mg man 75 Avatar
mg man 75 maurice sallee
Campbellsville, Central Kentucky, USA   USA
I assume you got the big [rubber band] in the spoke are. Only idea I got. I had wire wheels on a MGB and decided didn't like them. Maurice

ken472 Avatar
ken472 Ken Petersen
Luverne, MN, USA   USA
Are you using tubes designed for radial tires?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
tomshobby Avatar
tomshobby Tom Smith
Windsor, WI, USA   USA
In reply to # 3678933 by ken472 Are you using tubes designed for radial tires?

With the special tubes and rubber band over the spoke heads you should not have any problems. Otherwise you will have nothing but trouble.

Tom Smith
1974 Midget
1976 TR6

S1 Elan Kurt. Appley
Akron, Ia., USA   USA
I'm running all old Dunlop tubes. Getting decent 13 inch tubes is a problem now days and definitely don't buy the 'Gold' tubes sold by Moss. Junk!!

I've heard that quality Michelin tubes can still be had though I don't know where.

Kurt.

Perdido Avatar
Perdido Gold Member Rut Rutledge
Tuscaloosa, AL, USA   USA
Jimmy,
Here’s what I did. I used the heavy vinyl wrap used on underground plumbing pipes instead of the rubber bands, used good inner tubes supplied by my tire guy, cleaned out the inside of the tires to remove labels, rough spots, etc., and used powder inside the tires to provide a ‘ ‘lubricating’ barrier between the tube and tire. No leaks in 3 years

1960 Bugeye undergoing restoration, 1275
1970 MGB, Pale Primrose
1967 Triumph TR4a
1966 Triumph TR4a
When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down 'happy'. They told me I didn't understand the assignment, and I told them they didn't understand life. John Lennon

Chas 906 Avatar
Chas 906 Chuck Peterson
Iron Mountain, MI, USA   USA
1961 MG Midget MkI "Little Red Rider"
I did the same thing Rut did. A 20 mil black plumbing tape wrapped around the inside of the wire rims and no issues at all. Been a couple years so far. I got the tape at Home Depot.

James E Avatar
James E Silver Member Jimmy Campbell
Bedford, VA, USA   USA
Thanks Guys! I tape my rims. Haven't tried powder, didn't know there were tubes for radials. The tires are chaffing on the sides of the tires. I have many wire wheels so I still might try to make one tubeless. I'll let you know how it worked out!

S1 Elan Kurt. Appley
Akron, Ia., USA   USA
In reply to # 3679384 by James E Thanks Guys! I tape my rims. Haven't tried powder, didn't know there were tubes for radials. The tires are chaffing on the sides of the tires. I have many wire wheels so I still might try to make one tubeless. I'll let you know how it worked out!

I have a set of Dayton wire's that are....eer, were....tubeless. Worked fine for a short time until I realized all the spokes had loosened up and I had to tighten them. Looks like Dayton just used Silicone to seal the spokes.

Chas 906 Avatar
Chas 906 Chuck Peterson
Iron Mountain, MI, USA   USA
1961 MG Midget MkI "Little Red Rider"
My wire rims are only two years old with less than 100 miles on them. What is the procedure and how do you know when it's time to tune them? If ever?

adobejoe Andy Rose
Powell, WY, USA   USA
Redneck Repair. DUCT Tape. Run it around about 2-3 times.

S1 Elan Kurt. Appley
Akron, Ia., USA   USA
In reply to # 3679554 by Chas 906 My wire rims are only two years old with less than 100 miles on them. What is the procedure and how do you know when it's time to tune them? If ever?

Tap on the spokes with, say, the handle of a screw driver. If they are tight they will ring. if they are loose they will sound pretty dead. I'd heard that Dayton had some changes which allowed the spokes to loosen and first noticed it when i could hear the loose spokes as I drove into the garage. Other than that problem I like my Dayton's. They are a half inch wider than Dunlop's.

I don't know if I used a correct procedure but I just tightened all spokes 1/4 turn at a time till i thought they sounded about right. I've worked on motorcycle wheels before and if you are not careful with your procedure you can really screw up a wheel.

Kurt

littlecars Avatar
littlecars David Bassett
Nashville, TN, USA   USA
1965 Chevrolet Corvair "Ski Team Transport SOLD!"
1965 MG Midget MkII "Buffoon"
1966 MG Midget MkII "Swiss Cheese...SCRAPPED"
1970 Triumph Spitfire MkIII "Tamara's Turd... SOLD!!!"    & more
Jimmy, the tape you are referring to is Flex Seal, advertised ad infinitum on TV and the type used to attach to pieces of a bass boat together.eye popping smiley I wouldn't trust it to seal against air leaks, but the spokesperson does say "airtight" in the commercial.

Speedracer Avatar
Speedracer Platinum AdvertiserAdvertiser Hap Waldrop
Greenville, SC, USA   USA
1967 MG MGB Racecar "The Biscuit"
In reply to # 3679113 by Perdido Jimmy,
Here’s what I did. I used the heavy vinyl wrap used on underground plumbing pipes instead of the rubber bands, used good inner tubes supplied by my tire guy, cleaned out the inside of the tires to remove labels, rough spots, etc., and used powder inside the tires to provide a ‘ ‘lubricating’ barrier between the tube and tire. No leaks in 3 years

Rut, you covered all the bases with that post. We did spoke wheels at the tire store many moons ago, baby powder or something to keep the tube from chaffing is important.

Jimmy, what seems to be the deal, is the tube getting punctured ,and if so where? Flex Seal, yeah that would work as for a spoke sealer on the wheel. We had hand held die grinder with a abrasive buffing wheel we would use inside the tires for patch-prep, and also can be used to smooth out anything on the inside of a tire that might cause the tube to get rubbed, or punctured. There are bias and radial tubes. Most tire techs these days never see this work, heck we didn't see a lot of it 20 years ago.

Hap Waldrop
Acme Speed Shop
864-370-3000
hapwaldrop@acmespeedshop.com

Member Services:
MG/ Triumph Performance Street/Race Engines - Cylinder Head Porting - Modified SU HS Carbs - DIY Engine Rebuild Kits With Free Tech Advice - VTO alloy wheels for British Sport Cars, and others
Cruisedon66 Avatar
Cruisedon66 Pete W
St. Louis, MO, USA   USA
1976 MG MGB
Post #7.

Re: MG Doc in St. louis
http://www.mgexp.com/phorum/read.php?1,3523925

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster