Every ride is an adventure

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Toms MG Midget Avatar
Awendaw, SC, USA   USA
Ms. Nancy and I went and picked up the '76 Midget yesterday. The sale went fine, the covers are all in very good condition and we were off. She following me in the Jeep. All went fine until I had to climb a fairly steep bridge going from Charleston to Mt. Pleasant (for those of you who know this part of South Carolina), and the Midget started to buck and cough. I made it to the top and when starting down the other side, all was good. When I got almost to the first traffic light, it just died. I tried several times to start it, it spun just fine, but would not start. A policeman came by and kindly pushed me into a nearby parking lot. Embarrassing to be blocking traffic on one of the busiest roadways in South Carolina. We were a mile from one of the members of the British Car Club of Charleston, Wray, and I called him. He came right over (he and I had discussed my return to the club after a 3 year absence), and we started troubleshooting.. Pulled the gas line off the carburetor and not a drop of gas came out. Fuel pump? This Midget has a manual one thankfully. Cranking it again, and still no fuel at all.....hmmmm. Could it be out of gas? The gauge says nearly 1/2 full.

Interesting note here: When I was inspecting the car, I noticed the only fault I could find was while looking under the rear, a previous owner had backed over 'something' and the right corner of the gas tank was pushed in pretty badly. No sign of leaks.

Wray said, "well, I just happen to have a gas can in the car, let's go get a gallon and see if that could be it. Long story short, OUT OF GAS. Primed the engine, fired right up.
Yeaaaaaaaaaa.

All is well, I will post pictures of the interior and engine and trunk soon. It is good to be back.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
IMG_2964.JPG    53.6 KB
IMG_2964.JPG

IMG_2961.JPG    75 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
IMG_2959.JPG    70.6 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
btinsley Avatar
btinsley Bishop Tinsley
Atl, GA, USA   USA
1976 MG Midget 1500 "Dino"
Those easy emergency fixes are a godsend aren't they? Now to get a new sender...OR gauge.

Excellent color! Congrats on your new purchase

bishop

you can't trump the amusement of reality

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-02-10 03:49 PM by btinsley.

infinity2018 Avatar
infinity2018 Joe T
Denver, CO, USA   USA
1979 MG Midget 1500 "Inca"
Welcome back! I'm confused about the color though, maybe my computer screen isn't showing it well, is it tan or yellow?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-02-10 03:57 PM by infinity2018.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Chas 906 Avatar
Chas 906 Chuck Peterson
Iron Mountain, MI, USA   USA
1961 MG Midget MkI "Little Red Rider"
Looks yellow to me Tom. Great story and a good buy! Have fun.

Yankeedriver Avatar
Yankeedriver Platinum AdvertiserAdvertiser Joel Young
Albuquerque, NM, USA   USA
Lovely car, Tom!

I had to futz around with the connections to my sender, and I think the sender itself, a few years back. Result of getting rid of the corrosion/oxidation was an extremely accurate gauge. Very satisfying and not unduly difficult task, if you've got a weekend free.

As for embarrassment over blocking traffic, I agree. I once drove the 1/8 mile to a famous Albuquerque breakfast spot (when I lived in the city; it was Duran's Central Pharmacy - fantastic breakfast burritos with local green chili). Upon darting across the road to enter the parking lot, suddenly my exhaust note got a lot deeper and louder.

Got out, and to my huge embarrassment, the muffler--on a '67, just a tin can with a little fiberglass stuffed into it--was lying in the entrance to the parking lot! Luckily, I was early and no other diners had showed up yet. So, I dashed over, grabbed the thing and stuck it back on, then leaned casually against the car as people started pulling up and ogling her. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Safety Fast!

Joel

Member Services:
Innovative DIY performance and reliability upgrades.
mg man 75 Avatar
mg man 75 maurice sallee
Campbellsville, Central Kentucky, USA   USA
Nice car glad it wasn't a major problem. Very nice car. Maurice

Dutch 1960 Avatar
Dutch 1960 Mark Holland
San Diego, CA, USA   USA
Chartreuse BLVC 167. In some lights, it looks like pale yellow. In others, it looks more green. A two year color 1976-77.

In reply to # 3678752 by infinity2018 Welcome back! I'm confused about the color though, maybe my computer screen isn't showing it well, is it tan or yellow?

Toms MG Midget Avatar
Awendaw, SC, USA   USA
Thank you one and all. The color is "pale yellow" but inside the trunk it is brighter, so I will be researching it to see what is actually the "original yellow color". Even through the car has been obviously garaged all of it's life, it has been polished so many times that the primer is coming through in places. Should I decide to, I will have it repained; because everything else is so nice. We'll see. Thanks again for the welcome and all the kinds words. Tom

GeorgeOhr Nonya Business
Yes, confused, USA   USA
I wouldn't paint it. A little patina on a really clean ca ris much more appealing IMO than a perfect everything. Patina tells a true story fresh paint can never convey.

S1 Elan Kurt. Appley
Akron, Ia., USA   USA
Ah yes.....pushing the car in heavy traffic.....I can relate....So can my wife!

Kurt.

idrivemyself Avatar
idrivemyself Kyle H
Middle of Knowhere, FL, USA   USA
If there isn't something wrong, you're left wondering what is wrong! Glad to hear that it was relatively minor and congrats on the purchase. thumbs up

littlecars Avatar
littlecars David Bassett
Nashville, TN, USA   USA
1965 Chevrolet Corvair "Ski Team Transport SOLD!"
1965 MG Midget MkII "Buffoon"
1966 MG Midget MkII "Swiss Cheese...SCRAPPED"
1970 Triumph Spitfire MkIII "Tamara's Turd... SOLD!!!"    & more
In reply to # 3678814 by Yankeedriver Lovely car, Tom!

I had to futz around with the connections to my sender, and I think the sender itself, a few years back. Result of getting rid of the corrosion/oxidation was an extremely accurate gauge. Very satisfying and not unduly difficult task, if you've got a weekend free.

As for embarrassment over blocking traffic, I agree. I once drove the 1/8 mile to a famous Albuquerque breakfast spot (when I lived in the city; it was Duran's Central Pharmacy - fantastic breakfast burritos with local green chili). Upon darting across the road to enter the parking lot, suddenly my exhaust note got a lot deeper and louder.

Got out, and to my huge embarrassment, the muffler--on a '67, just a tin can with a little fiberglass stuffed into it--was lying in the entrance to the parking lot! Luckily, I was early and no other diners had showed up yet. So, I dashed over, grabbed the thing and stuck it back on, then leaned casually against the car as people started pulling up and ogling her. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Safety Fast!

Joel

Dropped my Harley muffler twice in traffic due to a weakened bracket or reduction fitting. Both times, the car sounded awesome but I knew the danged thing was still hanging on below my bumper probably sparking along the pavement. Pull over and wire it up with a coat hanger then Bob's Yer Uncle.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1965 MG MGB MkI

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links