AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

76lucas Avatar
76lucas Gold Member Josh L
Floyd, VA, USA   USA
1978 MG Midget 1500
1979 MG Midget 1500 "Parts Car"
Put it inside for a couple of days. Then try to pick a day where it's somewhat warm.

In reply to # 3678766 by infinity2018 How did you put the convertible roof on in the winter? I just bought one for mine but because of the cold, it's so shriveled that the snaps are two inches away from where they're supposed to be.

If you never try to do it You will never be able to do it

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Chas 906 Avatar
Chas 906 Chuck Peterson
Iron Mountain, MI, USA   USA
1961 MG Midget MkI "Little Red Rider"
Joe, it's called the shrink effect! LOL. Great looking restoration Norm!

Northern Midget Avatar
Northern Midget Norm Paterson
Haileybury, ON, Canada   CAN
1961 Morgan 4/4 "Joan"
1968 Fiat 600 "Luigi"
1976 MG Midget 1500 "None Yet"
Hey Joe.

How did you put the convertible roof on in the winter? I just bought one for mine but because of the cold, it's so shriveled that the snaps are two inches away from where they're supposed to be.

It's called a heated garage.......

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
infinity2018 Joe T
Denver, CO, USA   USA
I'm not rich like you, I have to work outside in the snow.

Yankeedriver Avatar
Yankeedriver Platinum AdvertiserAdvertiser Joel Young
Albuquerque, NM, USA   USA
In reply to # 3678705 by Northern Midget So here are 4 pictures of the restoration.

Just to let you know, this was a non-running barn find when I got it. It was populated with squirrels and insects. The engine had 2 cylinders with 45 pounds compression (the other two were above 100 pounds but only just) even though the car only had 56,000 miles on the odometer. The carb was missing parts and the air pump was partially removed.

It now sports a Triumph Spitfire 1500 with only (I was told) 32,000 miles. The Spit was totalled out in an accident. I found a pair of SU HS2 carbs on a 1275cc manifold.

The car runs like a charm now. Idling at 700 rpm with 25 pounds oil pressure at idle and 50 pounds at running speed. Compression is now an even 140 lbs plus or minus 2 lbs.

I have really enjoyed redoing this car, and have my eye on another Midget that needs help.

Nice. I really like the color-matched bumpers.

Joel

Member Services:
Innovative DIY performance and reliability upgrades.
Yankeedriver Avatar
In reply to # 3678588 by L8RSK8R Your getting there thumbs up

I've a rebuilt motor to install in mine, then I'm gonna repaint in Volvo Polestar blue. A little darker then what it currently is.

Dear Ciaran,

What color is it currently? I hadn't considered blue, and like baby blue on Bugeyes, but not as much on Midgets. However, I really like that shade!

Joel

Member Services:
76lucas Avatar
Floyd, VA, USA   USA
1978 MG Midget 1500
I had to do mine outside also. Of course I did it in June so that helped. Take it inside the house and lay it out somewhere for a couple of days that should get it to "relax" some.

In reply to # 3678817 by infinity2018 I'm not rich like you, I have to work outside in the snow.

Northern Midget Avatar
Northern Midget Norm Paterson
Haileybury, ON, Canada   CAN
1961 Morgan 4/4 "Joan"
1968 Fiat 600 "Luigi"
1976 MG Midget 1500 "None Yet"
Hey again Joe, you wrote "I'm not rich like you".

Yes I am rich....... I have a wife of 47 years that not only supports my efforts, but actively pushes me. I have three wonderful grown children who also are thrilled with my accomplishments. I have 2 amazing grandchildren who are not quite sure why I spend so much time in my garage when it's 40 below.

Yes I am truly a rich man.

Norm

L8RSK8R Ciaran W
LA JOLLA, CA, USA   USA
In reply to # 3678825 by Yankeedriver
In reply to # 3678588 by L8RSK8R Your getting there thumbs up

I've a rebuilt motor to install in mine, then I'm gonna repaint in Volvo Polestar blue. A little darker then what it currently is.

Dear Ciaran,

What color is it currently? I hadn't considered blue, and like baby blue on Bugeyes, but not as much on Midgets. However, I really like that shade!

Joel

This is the current color,. The photo was taken about 3 years ago, so the color has faded some.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-02-10 06:35 PM by L8RSK8R.

Attachments:
Austin Healey 1500.jpg    38.8 KB
Austin Healey 1500.jpg

Yankeedriver Avatar
In reply to # 3678891 by L8RSK8R
In reply to # 3678825 by Yankeedriver
This is the current color,. The photo was taken about 3 years ago, so the color has faded some.

I'm sorry I wasn't clear. I meant, what is the brand of paint and name of the shade/color, please? I was thinking Ferrari red but the wife recently revealed she really likes more muted colors, and this one is dynamite on a Midget.

Joel

Member Services:
L8RSK8R Ciaran W
LA JOLLA, CA, USA   USA
Sorry, I have no idea what paint code it is. I bought it already painted this way.
When I'm picking up paint, I'll have them match the current color and message you whit a code or brand & name of color.

76lucas Avatar
Floyd, VA, USA   USA
1978 MG Midget 1500
It looks very close to the color on my car. Mine is pageant blue it is a stock color for a 78-79 midget. It is a bright color when you see it but I like it. They made a little darker shade called Tahiti Blue. This may help some. A some of the photos are pretty poor (like the one for my color) but it gives the paint code for each. http://www.teglerizer.com/mgcolors/

In reply to # 3678910 by L8RSK8R Sorry, I have no idea what paint code it is. I bought it already painted this way.
When I'm picking up paint, I'll have them match the current color and message you whit a code or brand & name of color.

Yankeedriver Avatar
In reply to # 3678910 by L8RSK8R Sorry, I have no idea what paint code it is. I bought it already painted this way.

Thanks, I really appreciate it.

Joel

Member Services:
Yankeedriver Avatar
In reply to # 3678915 by 76lucas It looks very close to the color on my car. Mine is pageant blue it is a stock color for a 78-79 midget. It is a bright color when you see it but I like it. They made a little darker shade called Tahiti Blue. This may help some. A some of the photos are pretty poor (like the one for my color) but it gives the paint code for each. http://www.teglerizer.com/mgcolors/

Josh, much appreciated as well. I will compare to what Ciaran sends me. Cool!

Joel

Member Services:
L8RSK8R Ciaran W
LA JOLLA, CA, USA   USA
In reply to # 3678915 by 76lucas It looks very close to the color on my car. Mine is pageant blue it is a stock color for a 78-79 midget. It is a bright color when you see it but I like it. They made a little darker shade called Tahiti Blue. This may help some. A some of the photos are pretty poor (like the one for my color) but it gives the paint code for each. http://www.teglerizer.com/mgcolors/

T'is very similar in deed.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1959 MG MGA Twin Cam Coupe

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links