Project - Take Two

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

highwaydevil David H.
Denver, USA   USA
Great progress photos-thanks! I'd also venture a guess that the seats are out of a tour bus. It looks garish enough to be from one of those. I can't see anything like that in a motorhome.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
idrivemyself Avatar
idrivemyself Kyle H
Middle of Knowhere, FL, USA   USA
Thanks! Regardless of what the seats were out of, they're gone now!

Here's a few photos of progress from this week. The floor pans are out, rust is being repaired, and the chassis clean up continues...

David - sorry but the seat channels were toast and came out in multiple pieces.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-03-09 11:42 PM by idrivemyself.

idrivemyself Avatar
idrivemyself Kyle H
I cut out the rest of the rocker rust and a bit more of the remaining floor parts today. For such a small chassis there are a lot of spot welds... It's almost like MG didn't want the pans to come out. yawning smiley

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
idrivemyself Avatar
idrivemyself Kyle H
I had my first brain fart with the car earlier tonight. Rather than replace the rusted out frame cross member with another 18 ga stamped steel, 2-piece boxed section, I'm welding two 16 ga plates to the existing inside rocker panels then cutting out a 2.5" square hole in each side and feeding a capped 14 ga 2.5" square tube in to each end, and then welding it to the rockers. Only after making the weld panels and welding them on the rockers did I realize that I welded them on .5" too high. yawning smiley Luckily it's an easy fix but was enough to say, "the hell with this, it's time for ice cream." I'll get back to it tomorrow.

idrivemyself Avatar
idrivemyself Kyle H
I corrected the 0.5" height mistake on the rocker support panels then marked, measured, double measured, and cut the 2.5" squares in each rocker. The new cross member is boxed 0.5" in at each end and protrudes ~0.5" into each rocker. It was a really tight fit and I'm happy that it's square to the chassis. The 0.5" recession on the box ends was necessary to clear the old jack mount divots so the cross member could slide in. Tomorrow I'll weld it up and move on to finishing removing the old floor pan remnants.

idrivemyself Avatar
idrivemyself Kyle H
Here's photos and progress over the past month.

Chas 906 Avatar
Chas 906 Chuck Peterson
Iron Mountain, MI, USA   USA
1961 MG Midget MkI "Little Red Rider"
Looking good Kyle. Unbelievable job!

idrivemyself Avatar
idrivemyself Kyle H
Thank you! Suspending the rear subframe yesterday was a nice hurdle to move past. Lots of measure, re-measure, assemble, measure, disassemble, cut, measure, weld, measure... Getting everything leveled and square on a floor that is anything but was the biggest pain.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1956 MG Magnette ZA

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links