Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

idrivemyself Avatar
idrivemyself Kyle H
Middle of Knowhere, FL, USA   USA
Hi all. I've returned to try this whole MG thing once again after not being able to shake the semi-bitter ending to my last '75 (see failed Winter Project). This time around I have a better starting point with a better chassis, and the knowledge of prior mistakes and time (and dollars) wasted, that hopefully will work in my favor to get things moving swiftly. Now that I've been in Florida for a few years and have come to the realization that while a '59 Bug Sedan is a cool car to drive, it is not a cool car without A/C or the ability to drop the top. So it's been partially disassembled and shelved as a long-term project. Anyhow, on to what matters here. smiling smiley

Earlier this week I struck a deal with a local gentleman for a surprisingly straight and low rust, late-'73 rolling chassis. Unfortunately he didn't have too much history on the chassis as he bought it as such several years ago, only to have it sit in his garage on stands until I came along. The cracked, chipped, and faded red respray and heavily overshot primer hides the original Citron paint color beneath. The body panels and chassis are surprisingly straight with only a few small rust spots to address, thankfully nothing structural, and it looks like the rear spring bolts and shackles should come out without a fight. The chassis was sold with three dashes, spare front suspension parts, spare convertible top in good shape, and two hideous seats out of an unknown motor home. Plans for the '73 are a continuation of the '75, I kept everything through the move... Triumph Daytona 1200 drivetrain, Miata IRS with the Torsen diff, RHD conversion, EZ wire harness, etc. grinning smiley

So far it has been brought home, and not much else. This weekend I'm hoping to get the chassis stripped and assess the work ahead. smileys with beer

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-02-08 11:23 AM by idrivemyself.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Homerr Avatar
Homerr Jeff Kogut
Seattle, WA, USA   USA
1966 MG Midget MkII "Sold!"
1970 MG Midget MkIII "Midget On A Spit"
1971 MG Midget MkIII "The Donor"
1975 MG Midget MkIV "General MG"
Being in a similar situation - I'll be watching your progress!

infinity2018 Avatar
infinity2018 Joe T
Denver, CO, USA   USA
1979 MG Midget 1500 "Inca"
I just read the thread of your other project. If I were you I'd fix this new car to run/drive first, then work on it and finish it as you drive it. To me, not being able to drive it really gets me bogged down on the project (mine has no seats right now and hasn't for a month), and driving it just renews my enthusiasm to get the project finished...

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
littlecars Avatar
littlecars David Bassett
Nashville, TN, USA   USA
1965 Chevrolet Corvair "Ski Team Transport SOLD!"
1965 MG Midget MkII "Buffoon"
1966 MG Midget MkII "Swiss Cheese...SCRAPPED"
1970 Triumph Spitfire MkIII "Tamara's Turd... SOLD!!!"    & more
Joe, maybe you should cut a deal with Kyle for his motorhome seats! LOL devil smiley

idrivemyself Avatar
idrivemyself Kyle H
In reply to # 3676667 by infinity2018 I just read the thread of your other project. If I were you I'd fix this new car to run/drive first, then work on it and finish it as you drive it. To me, not being able to drive it really gets me bogged down on the project (mine has no seats right now and hasn't for a month), and driving it just renews my enthusiasm to get the project finished...

Re-read that I bought a rolling chassis. There isn't an engine, transmission, driveshaft, electrics, exhaust, radiator, fuel anything... winking smiley

In reply to # 3676684 by littlecars Joe, maybe you should cut a deal with Kyle for his motorhome seats! LOL devil smiley

Sold! I'm curious to know the back story as long as these awful things go away. Lol

infinity2018 Avatar
infinity2018 Joe T
Denver, CO, USA   USA
1979 MG Midget 1500 "Inca"
In reply to # 3676718 by idrivemyself
In reply to # 3676667 by infinity2018 I just read the thread of your other project. If I were you I'd fix this new car to run/drive first, then work on it and finish it as you drive it. To me, not being able to drive it really gets me bogged down on the project (mine has no seats right now and hasn't for a month), and driving it just renews my enthusiasm to get the project finished...

That's what I'm saying, do the minimum to get it on the road, then fix the rest as you drive it...

In reply to # 3676684 by littlecars Joe, maybe you should cut a deal with Kyle for his motorhome seats! LOL devil smiley

I'll only buy the motorhome seats if you locate and include the gigantic steering wheel from the motorhome too...

idrivemyself Avatar
idrivemyself Kyle H
In reply to # 3676787 by infinity2018

I'll only buy the motorhome seats if you locate and include the gigantic steering wheel from the motorhome too...

After you see the seats, the steering wheel won't matter. They're that good. Lol

Chas 906 Avatar
Chas 906 Chuck Peterson
Iron Mountain, MI, USA   USA
1961 MG Midget MkI "Little Red Rider"
Kyle, I hope you got a deal on the rolling chassis because you'll need a lot of cash to get it all together to drive. Sounds like a Fred Flintstone car. LOL! It will be three years this June bringing my rolling '61 back to some resemblance of an original MK1. Been a learning experience with a lot of help from the guys on this forum! Don't give up Bud! It's worth the effort!

idrivemyself Avatar
idrivemyself Kyle H
In reply to # 3676989 by Chas 906 Kyle, I hope you got a deal on the rolling chassis because you'll need a lot of cash to get it all together to drive. Sounds like a Fred Flintstone car. LOL! It will be three years this June bringing my rolling '61 back to some resemblance of an original MK1. Been a learning experience with a lot of help from the guys on this forum! Don't give up Bud! It's worth the effort!

I did get a deal and it definitely is not a Flinstone mobile, it has solid floors! Lol. I'm going for a rat/street-rod initially so body work is of the least concern. It's all about performance. Good luck with yours and remember that three years isn't twenty!

littlecars Avatar
littlecars David Bassett
Nashville, TN, USA   USA
Midget Rat Rodders unite! I decided as you did to make my car safe and fun to drive without breaking the bank on perfection. The body was painted matte purple with a brush, the hood opened with a wingnut on the end of a bike cable, the door stays were old leather belts, the carpet was remnants from the floor store, and the shift knob was a purple billiard ball, etc etc.

Attachments:
IMG_0204.JPG    43.9 KB
IMG_0204.JPG

IMG_0227.JPG    66.8 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
Chas 906 Avatar
Chas 906 Chuck Peterson
Iron Mountain, MI, USA   USA
1961 MG Midget MkI "Little Red Rider"
Interesting David. Is that a front bra? Or black paint?

littlecars Avatar
littlecars David Bassett
Nashville, TN, USA   USA
It was a felt-backed black vinyl bra specific for chrome bumper Spridgets. I painted matte black underneath the parking lights, lower valance and up to below the side marker lights. Came out pretty good from 20 feet away! The bra also acted as a redneck anti-burst fix. The forward edge of the hood and hood pin area was so rusty I was afraid the hood might fly open. This killed two birds at one time.

By the way, the hood wasn't rusty from the bra trapping moisture. The car came to me with two hoods with hardly any front left.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-02-09 11:17 AM by littlecars.

idrivemyself Avatar
idrivemyself Kyle H
Wow... That is definitely purple. What led to the color choice?

littlecars Avatar
littlecars David Bassett
Nashville, TN, USA   USA
Original Aconite purple car. Too cheap to color match to the original finish. I've liked all the Aconite MGs I've had the pleasure to have known.

idrivemyself Avatar
idrivemyself Kyle H
Fair enough! I'm sure the photo doesn't do the color justice either.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster