We're back! New secure web server is online   Read More
MGExp

MG Midget Forum

Interesting scenario - anyone experienced this with a stuck float?

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

S1 Elan Kurt. Appley
Akron, Ia., USA   USA
i think it should require a little pressure. Do a quick measurement of the length from the cap upper and lower seal and a measure of the same on the radiator. If its too short it will be obvious.

Kurt.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Poundingsand Avatar
Poundingsand Silver Member Peer Ebbighausen
Los Angeles, CA, USA   USA
Kurt, the distance from the base of the cap to the gasket is 31/32". Same for the depth of the neck. Of course it spins a bit tighter when you seat it but not much.

Also, coolant level is 7/8" below the sealing lip of the radiator...too high maybe?

S1 Elan Kurt. Appley
Akron, Ia., USA   USA
To me that sounds OK. Our cars kinda run on the edge anyway but if you are having quite a bit of overheating problems I would look for corrosion in the block and plugged up radiator. The 1275 in my BE will have to come out just because of that.

There are higher capacity water pumps out there that may help.

Kurt.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Poundingsand Avatar
Oddly, the overheating doesn't register on the temp gauge - it's still within specs...but then, it's always best to get the car to run as cool as possible (especially with summer on the way). I'll look into a stronger pump.

I was also considering swapping my 6 bladed metal fan for the plastic, but don't know if the plastic fan is more effective, and a straight swap. Would you have any idea?

The radiator seems clear - I pulled and cleaned it when I first got the car home. As for the block, good question. Any way to flush scale without removing the motor?

And how much water cooling is effected by the head (I know there is corrosion there), or is it more oil-cooled?

refisk Avatar
refisk Rick Fisk
Frankenmuth, MI, USA   USA
Peer,

Where is your temp gauge sending unit located? Is it in the head or the top of the radiator. If your engine is truly overheating it should be indicated on the gauge.

In reply to # 3679793 by Poundingsand Oddly, the overheating doesn't register on the temp gauge - it's still within specs...but then, it's always best to get the car to run as cool as possible (especially with summer on the way). I'll look into a stronger pump.

I was also considering swapping my 6 bladed metal fan for the plastic, but don't know if the plastic fan is more effective, and a straight swap. Would you have any idea?

The radiator seems clear - I pulled and cleaned it when I first got the car home. As for the block, good question. Any way to flush scale without removing the motor?

And how much water cooling is effected by the head (I know there is corrosion there), or is it more oil-cooled?

Poundingsand Avatar
Rick, it's in the radiator...and only once did it sneak slightly past the "N", last weekend at a very long light. The gauge was recently rebuilt.

refisk Avatar
refisk Rick Fisk
Sounds like the cooling system and gauge are working as they should. The water spitting could be simply the result of the system seeking the proper level. The hot running symptoms you are experiencing could be the result of timing advanced a little too far or Los Angeles quality gas.

In reply to # 3679838 by Poundingsand Rick, it's in the radiator...and only once did it sneak slightly past the "N", last weekend at a very long light. The gauge was recently rebuilt.

Poundingsand Avatar
Or both!

My timing is 15 degrees BTDC at idle (vac disconnected), the outside edge recommended by Jeff Schlemmer when he rebuilt my dizzy.

I thought too retarded created engine heat - I wasn't aware that too advanced might have the same effect...may dial it back a little bit!

refisk Avatar
refisk Rick Fisk
I would try 10 degrees BTDC and see how it runs.

In reply to # 3679891 by Poundingsand Or both!

My timing is 15 degrees BTDC at idle (vac disconnected), the outside edge recommended by Jeff Schlemmer when he rebuilt my dizzy.

I thought too retarded created engine heat - I wasn't aware that too advanced might have the same effect...may dial it back a little bit!

Poundingsand Avatar
Rick, that will likely be the next step! More to come!

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster