Surprising Vender For Cheaper Battery

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

noahnsteph Noah Corr
Omaha, NE, USA   USA
So I was wandering around Home Depot this weekend looking for paint and I discovered they have an "automotive" section when I was looking for some VHT header paint. While I was looking for paint I noticed they also sell car batteries. Turns out they had an Exide 51R battery for $89.99 which is almost $20 less than any battery at Walmart and probably $40 less than any auto parts store in town. hot smiley

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
littlecars Avatar
littlecars David Bassett
Nashville, TN, USA   USA
1965 Chevrolet Corvair "Ski Team Transport SOLD!"
1965 MG Midget MkII "Buffoon"
1966 MG Midget MkII "Swiss Cheese...SCRAPPED"
1970 Triumph Spitfire MkIII "Tamara's Turd... SOLD!!!"    & more
Lots of Hondas, Mazdas and Toyotas on the road use the 51 series. Guessing HD probably stocks only the most common ones and those move quickly. With a printable online coupon, I was able to get mine from Batteries + Bulbs for around $60.

66jalopy Avatar
66jalopy Silver Member Phillip Jolliffe
Lake City, FL, USA   USA
I bought one at Walmart for $49.95 a couple weeks ago, Grandson got another one yesterday

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
noahnsteph Noah Corr
Omaha, NE, USA   USA
Cheapest 51R battery at Walmart here in Omaha, NE is $107.99 Not sure what the hell happened to battery prices but I swear they have doubled in the last year.

Chas 906 Avatar
Chas 906 Chuck Peterson
Iron Mountain, MI, USA   USA
1961 MG Midget MkI "Little Red Rider"
Never noticed an automotive section at HD before. Although, I wasn't looking either. Nice to know.

noahnsteph Noah Corr
Omaha, NE, USA   USA
In reply to # 3675415 by 66jalopy I bought one at Walmart for $49.95 a couple weeks ago, Grandson got another one yesterday

Did you buy the Car battery or the 22NF Lawn and Garden battery?

66jalopy Avatar
Lake City, FL, USA   USA
It's a car battery, One in my Morris Minor the other is correct for the PT Cruiser I think it's 575 cra. Check Walmart online.

noahnsteph Noah Corr
Omaha, NE, USA   USA
That would be a Group 26R battery which is much different size and not the battery listed anywhere for my 1976 Midget so I wouldn't have had any idea that it would fit.

In reply to # 3675606 by 66jalopy It's a car battery, One in my Morris Minor the other is correct for the PT Cruiser I think it's 575 cra. Check Walmart online.

littlecars Avatar
littlecars David Bassett
Nashville, TN, USA   USA
1965 Chevrolet Corvair "Ski Team Transport SOLD!"
1965 MG Midget MkII "Buffoon"
1966 MG Midget MkII "Swiss Cheese...SCRAPPED"
1970 Triumph Spitfire MkIII "Tamara's Turd... SOLD!!!"    & more
Batteries Plus in 2015 tried (and succeeded in) selling me the lawn and garden battery saying their sources said it was for "all Midgets." It was in the $30 range but a core exchange was required for that price. In the end, it worked just fine and would have lasted longer if I hadn't left my ignition key in the accessory position over a weekend. The L&G gave me enough juice to test all my electrical systems on the Purple Rat. When she was ready for her roadway debut, I went back to Batteries Plus and got the group 51 and the car became my weekly driver.

S1 Elan Kurt. Appley
Akron, Ia., USA   USA
Walmart lies when they say always the lowest price! Only on there loss leaders. They have enough money....shop around.

Kurt.

Lil MK 4 Avatar
Lil MK 4 Dennis Mattson
Henderson, NV, USA   USA
1965 Chevrolet Corvair "65 Monza Vert - In Restoration"
1966 Chevrolet Corvair "Monza Coupe - Rare Factory AC"
1968 Austin-Healey Sprite "The Go-Kart"
2001 Ford Mustang "BULLITT #4068"    & more
Walmart has the cheap ValuePower Batteries by their EverStart batteries... They are plain black $49..... 1 yr warranty... and have good reviews....

Autozone has ValueCraft.. at around $69 or $89, and they have Horrible reviews,,,
YET... My '68 Sprite has a ValueCraft group 24 battery in it from Autozone that is 4 yrs old and still kickin..
I have NO problem taking the Group 24 out, it's heavy and a tight fit though... lift up ...turn on side.. pull over the heater.... Getting a smaller size..

Whereas I've had 2 Optimas.. 1 RedTop and 1 YellowTop.. .BOTH Crap out before the 3 yr mark..... That's $465 !!..
I could have bought "9" Walmart ValuePowers for that money.. .. The Sprite was run down from sitting.. and the YellowTop
Took a few charge cycles. but I got the ValueCraft to recover and hold a charge... The Optima... drops to 70% in 24 hrs..

I think I may try the Lawn and Garden Battery in my Sprite.. or a Motorcycle Battery.. The ValueCraft is going into a car I'm selling....

66jalopy Avatar
Lake City, FL, USA   USA
The Value power at Walmart lasted just over 18 months in my grandsons PT Cruiser, he got another one, I also have one in my Morris Minor about 3 months old, so far so good.

Pete76mg Dudley Gray
Knoxville, TN, USA   USA
Got my 51r at rural King for $39.95.had it over a year and still going strong . .

noahnsteph Noah Corr
Omaha, NE, USA   USA
That was over a year ago. I wonder what the price is today if you walked in to buy it. I've had to replace just about every single battery in my collection of toys this year (motorcycles, atvs, cars) and I swear the prices have gone through the roof in the last year.

In reply to # 3696456 by Pete76mg Got my 51r at rural King for $39.95.had it over a year and still going strong . .

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster