AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

LBCfreak Avatar
LBCfreak Silver Member Lee Thurner
Corinth, MS, USA   USA
1963 MG Midget MkI "Little Blue II"
1967 MG MGB "Agatha"
Those four screws (pillar-to-body) on my '63 (Build date December '62) were in fact Phillips screws, not Pozidriv. Chrome plated replacements from Moss are Pozidriv. Since Pozidriv was patented in 1962, it's unlikely that anything previous to that were Pozidriv...so be sure. Using a Pozidriv bit on Phillips screws (or vice versa) can damage the slots.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Chas 906 Avatar
Chas 906 Chuck Peterson
Iron Mountain, MI, USA   USA
1961 MG Midget MkI "Little Red Rider"
I replaced the very same screws on both sides a couple years back. They were rusty. No issues getting them out.

rjfaugeaux Avatar
rjfaugeaux Ray Faugeaux
Belle Chasse, LA, USA   USA
After 7 years in the garage, the midget is finally nearing completion. I didn’t have any problem getting the windscreen off the car, I had a glassman replace the seals ($150), after the final painting of the car, how do you reattach the windshield assembly to the car. I have read several attempts and tricks of the trade for midgets after 1964 with the posts that attach into the frame of the car. This midget only has the two screws on each side post to attach to the car. I have read about the issues of compressing the gasket that goes between the windshield frame and the body of the car. Is it easy on the early midgets (early 1960’s) or do I need to be schooled on an easy method? I will mention that I read this week of an individual that used 50 lb fishing line and wrapped it around the frame and gasket to compress the gasket. He mentioned the fishing line was wound around every 1/2 to 1 inch apart and tight enough to pluck a tune. Once the windshield was on, he just cut the line and pulled it through.
Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. It will be installed a few days after fresh paint and I hope to get it installed on the first try. Thanks in advance! Ray

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
99D646E3-FD8A-40F7-8C39-D626B90B8788.jpeg    45.6 KB
99D646E3-FD8A-40F7-8C39-D626B90B8788.jpeg

LBCfreak Avatar
Corinth, MS, USA   USA
1967 MG MGB "Agatha"
Installing the windshield on a Mk I Midget is far easier than on a later model Midget or MGB. On my '63, replacement of the bottom seal was way more difficult than mounting the windshield, but you've already done that. I installed the windshield assembly singlehanded, though it would have been easier with a helper. Just line up the holes on one side, install the screws snugly but not tight, then go to the other side and do the same, then tighten the screws. If you use a small drift pin to help align the holes, that will make it easier too. No need for the fishing line trick on a Mk i.

littlecars Avatar
littlecars David Bassett
Nashville, TN, USA   USA
1965 Chevrolet Corvair "Ski Team Transport SOLD!"
1965 MG Midget MkII "Buffoon"
1966 MG Midget MkII "Swiss Cheese...SCRAPPED"
1970 Triumph Spitfire MkIII "Tamara's Turd... SOLD!!!"    & more
See other thread regarding replacement on a later car. That's when things get tricky with the seal and the shims.

rjfaugeaux Avatar
rjfaugeaux Ray Faugeaux
Thanks for the quick response! One other question, is there any kind of gasket that goes between the side posts and the frame? The side posts seem to have old silicon attached; frame cleaned up nicely. I did have to retap one screw on the frame a size larger. Plan to cut the screw shorter and drill a slightly larger recess in the side post to fit the larger screw. Have read several posts of a screw too long cracking the glass.

LBCfreak Avatar
Corinth, MS, USA   USA
1967 MG MGB "Agatha"
There's a rubber pad to fit under each side "pillar". Moss part no. 680-880.

rjfaugeaux Avatar
rjfaugeaux Ray Faugeaux
Got the gaskets that go between the posts and the car body, wondering about the space between the frame for the glass and the side posts! When I took the side posts off the frame, it looked like a silicon was used to seal the parts together.

LBCfreak Avatar
Corinth, MS, USA   USA
1967 MG MGB "Agatha"
None of my Spridgets (I've owned 5 of the Mk I's) had any kind of seal between the side pillars and the windshield frame. Strangely, I never experienced any rain leakage there...although other places made up for it. I don't see any downside to using some sort of sealant there, however.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster