Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

lskaboots Avatar
lskaboots Silver Member kim gibson
La Crosse, WI, USA   USA
I want to remove the windscreen frame from my '72 so I can prep for painting. Do I have to remove the dash and all that entails just to get to the nuts and bolts that
hold the windscreen frame?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
76lucas Avatar
76lucas Gold Member Josh L
Floyd, VA, USA   USA
1978 MG Midget 1500
1979 MG Midget 1500 "Parts Car"
I didn't on mine. But there is very limited room. I used a couple of wobble extensions and a swivel socket to do it. Book does say at least for a 1500 to remove it enough to get to the bolts. You will have to remove the glove box either way.

If you never try to do it You will never be able to do it

littlecars Avatar
littlecars David Bassett
Nashville, TN, USA   USA
1965 Chevrolet Corvair "Ski Team Transport SOLD!"
1965 MG Midget MkII "Buffoon"
1966 MG Midget MkII "Swiss Cheese...SCRAPPED"
1970 Triumph Spitfire MkIII "Tamara's Turd... SOLD!!!"    & more
The top bolt, furthest away from you if you lay on the floorboard, I believe is located in a recessed piece of pressed steel. This is the one you can't get to from inside the door hinge opening. An extension socket is your friend here. I think the one on the passenger side is even worse than the drivers side which is why my tetanus special, "Swiss Cheese" parts car still has one bolt to be freed. I just didn't feel like exposing myself to the sharp rusty edges but the day will come.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
trevorwj Avatar
trevorwj Trevor Jessie
Louisville, KY, USA   USA
As mentioned, it can be removed with the dash in place. However, since you are painting the cowl it would be good to have the dash removed so that the paint is continuous under the dash pad. You can leave the instruments connected.

Midget 50th - A Spridget Event
It was a Blast!
http://sprite-midgetclub.org/

Chas 906 Avatar
Chas 906 Chuck Peterson
Iron Mountain, MI, USA   USA
1961 MG Midget MkI "Little Red Rider"
I too plan on repainting my '61. Does the same procedure apply for the MK1?

1974MGMidget Avatar
1974MGMidget Silver Member Jack Orkin
Grayson, GA, USA   USA
On my '74, all the bolts are accessible. The top "bolt" is actually threaded into the frame, from the inside. There is no nut on the outside. The bottom has bolt, from the inside with nut on the outside. As mentioned, you will need to remove the glove box door and maybe the lower dash support on the right side to make access to the top bolt easier, but all are pretty accessible with the right wrench combination. Make sure you check for any shims between the frame and body. Its more of a PITA than super difficult.

lskaboots Avatar
lskaboots Silver Member kim gibson
La Crosse, WI, USA   USA
thank you all. I think I may be better off by first removing the dash panel. The wiring harness may need to be replaced anyway as I have no idea yet of its condition under the dash.
Right now it's so cold in my garage, even though it is attached to the house, that it is very uncomfortable to be working on the Midget. Just planning on my next steps when I can get back to it.

Chas 906 Avatar
Chas 906 Chuck Peterson
That's the down side of living in God's country! Only about 5 months of good driving fun. Even less where I live!

littlecars Avatar
littlecars David Bassett
Nashville, TN, USA   USA
Does your 72 have the Pekotron module above the glove box area? If so, here's your chance to knock that sucker off and wire your ignition directly into the engine bay. By removing this box, and using a wobble extension, I've been able to more easily get the windshield bolt unthreaded from within the car.

Chuck: My understanding is the Mk I Midgets' windshield not only has the posidrive screws externally on the scuttle, but the side uprights can be removed separately from the rest of the frame? Someone here will know.

oleanderjoe Avatar
oleanderjoe Gold Member Joseph Baba
Fresno, CA, USA   USA
Worked for 3M Co. for over 20 years. Headquarters in .St.Paul, MN. Been back there in the summer, which appeared to be from June 10th THRU. July 10th. I, understand. Cheers

Member Services:
LBCfreak Avatar
LBCfreak Silver Member Lee Thurner
Corinth, MS, USA   USA
1963 MG Midget MkI "Little Blue II"
1967 MG MGB "Agatha"
The '61 windscreen is easy to remove so long as the screws are not seized. There are four large phillips screws that hold the side "pillars" to the body; the forward screws thread into captive nuts, and the rear ones are screw-and-nut with the nut easily accessible inside the "A" post. Removal of these four screws releases the windscreen assembly. Each pillar is fastened to the windscreen frame with three small (#10-32 x ⅝" oval head) screws. It's common for these to be seized (steel threaded into aluminum), but there's no real need to remove them to get the windscreen off the car. If you do need to remove them, it's a fairly straightforward operation to drill them out and re-tap the holes.

littlecars Avatar
littlecars David Bassett
Nashville, TN, USA   USA
Lee, your project looks like it's coming along nicely. Did you discard the side moldings from your 63 before painting?

LBCfreak Avatar
LBCfreak Silver Member Lee Thurner
Corinth, MS, USA   USA
1963 MG Midget MkI "Little Blue II"
1967 MG MGB "Agatha"
I still have the chrome moldings...a complete set except the short piece for the driver's side "A" pillar. I'm not going to reinstall them; thought I would offer them for sale on this site.

refisk Avatar
refisk Rick Fisk
Frankenmuth, MI, USA   USA
Those four screws are PoziDriv, not Phillips. They come out much easier if you use a PoziDriv driver. smileys with beer

In reply to # 3676770 by LBCfreak The '61 windscreen is easy to remove so long as the screws are not seized. There are four large phillips screws that hold the side "pillars" to the body; the forward screws thread into captive nuts, and the rear ones are screw-and-nut with the nut easily accessible inside the "A" post. Removal of these four screws releases the windscreen assembly. Each pillar is fastened to the windscreen frame with three small (#10-32 x ⅝" oval head) screws. It's common for these to be seized (steel threaded into aluminum), but there's no real need to remove them to get the windscreen off the car. If you do need to remove them, it's a fairly straightforward operation to drill them out and re-tap the holes.

Chas 906 Avatar
Chas 906 Chuck Peterson
Lee, I thought as much, after replacing a few of the discolored screws. I didn't notice anything that would require a dash removal. Did I miss something? Or is that an issue for the later cars? My '61 came to me minus the side trim pieces and a bad repaint. Only the hood trim remains. I'm thinking about replacing the lost side trims after a new paint job this year. Got a couple guys on here that have the pieces needed. Just wondering how much of a hassle it is to install them?

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster