MGExp

MG Midget Forum

Bugeye rust repair with some crash damage.

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

pinkyponk Avatar
pinkyponk Gold Member Adrian Page
Berwick, NS, Canada   CAN
I think that all the time Pete. The way the floors were repaired by laying metal over both sides preserved what was left of the original floors for me. They're shot but I have something to go by. The driver's door was the same. They just patched over the rust with a piece of sheet metal and bondo-ed it. I drilled the tiny spot welds out and I have a door that is rusty but not butchered. Very happy about that.

The worse thing about the door catch was the nut plate still had good threads with screws that I turned out. For the life of me, I can't figure out why they welded it like they did. Truly odd.

Adrian

Home built Eaton M62 Supercharger with 9psi boost, "stock" high ratio rocker arms, 8:1 compression, Piper 270 cam, ported head, matched manifolds, CB Performance computerized ignition.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
pinkyponk Avatar
What did the factory do about the bottom of the outer B post panel as far as attaching it to the top of the rocker panel? There was not enough left of mine to determine what it was like.

Adrian

Home built Eaton M62 Supercharger with 9psi boost, "stock" high ratio rocker arms, 8:1 compression, Piper 270 cam, ported head, matched manifolds, CB Performance computerized ignition.

Attachments:
Rocke panel in 005.JPG    38.7 KB
Rocke panel in 005.JPG

Perdido Avatar
Perdido Gold Member Rut Rutledge
Tuscaloosa, AL, USA   USA
Adrian,
I’m going to be no help on this since I used Peter Ploofs method of cutting the rocker straight across and leaving the upper portion attached by the factory. IIRC, it attached along the rocker the same way the A post pillar skin attached. That said I would just tack weld from the inside, fill with seam sealer, and recut the the seam with a plastic putty knife. Another option would be automotive panel adhesive which would accomplish all of these functions.
Rut

1960 Bugeye undergoing restoration, 1275
1970 MGB, Pale Primrose
1967 Triumph TR4a
1966 Triumph TR4a
When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down 'happy'. They told me I didn't understand the assignment, and I told them they didn't understand life. John Lennon

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
EF74A9C4-6E6E-4B1E-B6D0-CC0F7227EEF2.jpeg    42.2 KB
EF74A9C4-6E6E-4B1E-B6D0-CC0F7227EEF2.jpeg

threadless Avatar
threadless Silver Member Erick M
San Antonio, TX, USA   USA
Here are photos of a b pillar patch I picked up a while back for my bugeye. I’m not sure how the factory tacked that flange to the rocker. I assume they spot welded it. Hope this helps!
Erick

Attachments:
59E4CBDE-A167-45C4-A822-0D3F3E0DBB67.jpeg    14.2 KB
59E4CBDE-A167-45C4-A822-0D3F3E0DBB67.jpeg

91FECE91-57BB-49D1-90C2-80C1A0D6B340.jpeg    39.2 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
04B95282-FFD5-4584-B5A7-FE35149FD50E.jpeg    37.4 KB
pinkyponk Avatar
Thanks guys, but the puzzle is how do you weld it? There is no access from the back except for the small opening in the inner panel that the top socket is welded to. I could solder it from the outside. Panel adhesive seems like the easiest method. That will solve my problem but I'm still curious as to how the factory did it.

Adrian

NOHOME P P
O, ON, Canada   CAN
1967 MG MGB GT "Maggie (GT From Hell)"
Someone here did a repair where the new sill had the repair pieces for the B post and the A post welded to the outer sill BEFORE they installed the sill. Then they just do a seam weld on the top of the repair panels.

Pete

nassau66 Larry Cross
Browns Mills, NJ, USA   USA
On my '66 when I repaired my rear fender, I punched about 5 holes in the return and plug welded it to the top of the rocker from inside the car.

pinkyponk Avatar
But that's the problem Larry. I have almost no access to the back of the B panel to make the welds. I might be able to weld a couple of plug weld through the little hole in the inner panel but it would be blind luck to hit the drillings for the plug welds. I'm not keen on cutting the inner panel off to make the welds. Panel glue looks like the way to go.

Adrian

Attachments:
B post weld 001.JPG    34.4 KB
B post weld 001.JPG

B post weld 003.JPG    46.2 KB
nassau66 Larry Cross
Browns Mills, NJ, USA   USA
Adrian,
I see what you mean. On the '66 there's another access hole above the one you have. It wasn't easy but at least it was doable.
Good luck.

pinkyponk Avatar
I had to move the shell today to fit a lettering job into the shop. The front suspension is still in place but the rear axle has been removed. I didn't want to reinstall the rear axle so I looked online at snowmobile moving cart/dolly things and it occurred to me that I already had a hand cart. I lowered the back bulkhead area onto the cart and it was fine except the handle stayed on the floor up front. So I took a ratchet strap and looped it around the cart handle and the transmission tunnel and cranked it up tight. Moves with ease.

Adrian

Attachments:
Bugeye handcart molasses 003.JPG    35.6 KB
Bugeye handcart molasses 003.JPG

Bugeye handcart molasses 005.JPG    35.7 KB
NOHOME P P
O, ON, Canada   CAN
Clever!

pinkyponk Avatar
But did it work on rough ground? Yes it did.

Check out those new steelies on the back!

Adrian

Attachments:
Bugeye dolly 004.JPG    44.7 KB
Bugeye dolly 004.JPG

Wayne Burner Avatar
Chester, NH, USA   USA
When I put "big, and littles", on a car, I usually put the big ones in the backsmoking smiley

NOHOME P P
O, ON, Canada   CAN
In reply to # 3698693 by Wayne Burner When I put "big, and littles", on a car, I usually put the big ones in the backsmoking smiley

Adrian don't roll like that, he seems to be on the pointy-end of the trend train!drinking smiley

pinkyponk Avatar
Getting busier with work now that spring has sprung but I'm making some progress. I'm working on the seatbelt mountings now. The poor thing had a big dent in the passenger side of the trans tunnel which was really bugging me. The dent was probably caused by a jack or bracing of some sort to mash the B post back out after it was crashed.

I decided to cut it out and straighten it then weld it back in. Then I realized it would make it easy to install seatbelt mounting points. Anyone have pictures of the factory setup on later Midgets? I bought the proper sized nuts this morning. I figure there must be some plates to spread the load. I'm also looking for a 3 point, retractable seat belt setup that isn't too dear... but still safe.

Adrian

Attachments:
bugeye b post 001.JPG    48.1 KB
bugeye b post 001.JPG

Bugeye seat belt mount 002.JPG    39.5 KB
Bugeye seat belt mount 001.JPG    41.3 KB

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster