MGExp

MG Midget Forum

Bugeye rust repair with some crash damage.

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

pinkyponk Avatar
pinkyponk Gold Member Adrian Page
Berwick, NS, Canada   CAN
I'm restoring a 61 Bugeye and I am way past the point of no return. The car was in at least one accident and is somewhat bent. Not as rusty as some I've seen on here but it needs floors, sills and A post bottoms. Also has some rot around the spring boxes.

I have been cutting out small sections trying to figure out the best plan of attack. I have already repaired one smashed in area. The passenger side B pillar was caved in and had been bashed out. It was hit bad enough that inner panel was also damaged. The repair was to bash everything below the original contours with a big maul and lay on the bondo... at least 1.5" in places. The right side of car probably had a gallon on the b pillar and rocker panel. I cut the panel off, straightened it and the inner panel and shut face and welded it back on.

I've partially repaired the rear bulkhead and right spring box. Now I'm looking into the right A post. The outer footwell panel is also damaged. It's stowed in about 1/2"... I think from heat and bashing as a result of laying in the "new" inner and outer floor panels. That's right... this car had 3 floors in it all at once. Anyway, the heat and bashing from installing the inner floor has damaged the footwell panel so It needs to come out.

The last photo shows a straight edge against the footwell panel.

My first question is do I repair the A post and footwell panel first or fit the sills? I'm thinking if I leave what's left of the sill it will hold things in place while I swap the FW panel and A post. What would you do?

Adrian

Home built Eaton M62 Supercharger with 9psi boost, "stock" high ratio rocker arms, 8:1 compression, Piper 270 cam, ported head, matched manifolds, CB Performance computerized ignition.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-16 09:19 PM by pinkyponk.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
bugeye b post 002.JPG    44.7 KB
bugeye b post 002.JPG

B post 001.JPG    45.4 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
front triangle weld 004.JPG    39.8 KB
A Post 007.JPG    44.8 KB
A Post 010.JPG    25.6 KB
ice Avatar
ice Gold Member Larry Ice
Lawrenceville, GA, USA   USA
Adrian, good job! Are you going to replace the rocker panels? My 67 had bad rocker panels. I bought the parts from Moss to make the repairs. Although I was cringing about the fitment, all went well. Sometimes you get good panels and sometimes the panels are more trouble than fabricating them yourself.

Iceman

Atlanta GA

60 AH MK1
62 AH MKII
67 Midget
71 Midget

pinkyponk Avatar
There is some damage at the front of the car also. These triangular braces both have welds across them for no apparent reason. The welds appear to be done with a gas torch. The inner wings are somewhat misshapen and some of the welds have failed along the front where they attach to the foot wells but I suspect this fairly common. People sitting on them etc.

The front bonnet mounting points are at different heights so I need to figure out what is correct... and correct it. I understand there is a 3 degree angle on these front frame rails for caster.

Another possible problem is the bonnet fit but it may simply have sagged. I'm not familiar with these cars so hopefully someone can fill me in on the typical things that happen to these big bonnets over time.

Adrian

Home built Eaton M62 Supercharger with 9psi boost, "stock" high ratio rocker arms, 8:1 compression, Piper 270 cam, ported head, matched manifolds, CB Performance computerized ignition.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-17 08:12 AM by pinkyponk.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
front triangle weld 001.JPG    46.3 KB
front triangle weld 001.JPG

front triangle weld 002.JPG    49.4 KB
ice Avatar
Adrian, there is a lot of damage to the car as you know. Do you have a good manual yet? In some manuals there are several pages of measurements you can use to determine how much damage has been done.
If it were me I would look for another body and use this car as a donor. I would also ask the advice of several nearby body shops to make a determination if this body can be saved. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but sometimes you just have to ask yourself how much time, labor and money can I put into this car?
Good luck!

Iceman

Atlanta GA

60 AH MK1
62 AH MKII
67 Midget
71 Midget

pinkyponk Avatar
Larry... failure is not an option. grinning smiley I do not have any manuals or measurements. Do you have a source for the measured diagrams? I can figure out if it's square or twisted by measuring. I did get the caster spec of 3 degrees from a fellow in Australia. This would be the upward bend in the front frame rails.

I'd really like to know why it was welded along those triangle sections. Do these cars typically crack there? I've never seen anything like it on other repair threads.

Adrian

Perdido Avatar
Perdido Gold Member Rut Rutledge
Tuscaloosa, AL, USA   USA
In reply to # 3663387 by ice Adrian, there is a lot of damage to the car as you know. Do you have a good manual yet? In some manuals there are several pages of measurements you can use to determine how much damage has been done.
If it were me I would look for another body and use this car as a donor. I would also ask the advice of several nearby body shops to make a determination if this body can be saved. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but sometimes you just have to ask yourself how much time, labor and money can I put into this car?
Good luck!

Adrian,
While I agree with Larry on some level, these cars are so simple that the6 can be brought back from a pile of rust...just ask Peter Ploof! Before I gave up on that tub I would clean it up by pressure washing or blasting to get a true sense of what you have. Are you going to put it on a rotisserie or just roll it up on a couple of tires or old mattress? Having good access is key!
Good luck, Rut

1960 Bugeye undergoing restoration, 1275
1970 MGB, Pale Primrose
1967 Triumph TR4a
1966 Triumph TR4a
When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down 'happy'. They told me I didn't understand the assignment, and I told them they didn't understand life. John Lennon

Elva Bob Bob Lembcke
FL, USA   USA
Yes, these cars typically crack in that front triangular section. Can't say why. FYI, very early cars didn't have the double panel "triangles" that later ones have. Guess factory saw problem, added the full inner panel to stiffen.

Have seen cracks on many HP-FP race cars "back in the day" (60/70's)....one of the reasons we would add front going tubes to shock towers mounts on cages, even before cages were required.

Your tub looks remarkable good in photos... appears a nice restoration has started.

Bob L.

pinkyponk Avatar
My plan is to get it sorted as far as I can sitting on it's "frame" to keep it (or get it) straight and level... then put it on a rotisserie of some sort. I'm not interested in doing the floors laying on my back. I like the look of the plywood octagonal ones but I also have 2 engine stands so I haven't decide which one I'll go with yet.

I'm not particularly concerned by the crash damage. It wasn't anything catastrophic. I can make it straight again. I'm mostly looking for advice on the most efficient order of operations.

I made a little panel to repair the end of the rear bulkhead panel and welded it in yesterday. I left the bottom a trifle long because I don't know what shape it should be. The other side is covered with a patch so It may still be intact but hammered flat.

Adrian

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-18 08:22 AM by pinkyponk.

Attachments:
Box panel 001.JPG    41 KB
Box panel 001.JPG

pinkyponk Avatar
In reply to # 3663504 by Elva Bob Yes, these cars typically crack in that front triangular section. Can't say why. FYI, very early cars didn't have the double panel "triangles" that later ones have. Guess factory saw problem, added the full inner panel to stiffen.

Have seen cracks on many HP-FP race cars "back in the day" (60/70's)....one of the reasons we would add front going tubes to shock towers mounts on cages, even before cages were required.

Your tub looks remarkable good in photos... appears a nice restoration has started.

Bob L.

Thanks Bob! That makes me happy. I couldn't see any other reason for the welds but it's nice to know it's a common fault. The tub is in great shape for the place I live. Very little rust for where I live. A big plus is that the "repairs" done over the years have been just patches or bondo placed over the offending panels. Nothing had been cut out. This gives me original "data points" to use in the restoration. The boot floor is in amazing condition. The bonnet is pretty good too. It's had a couple of prangs but it's pretty rust free.

I took a dent out of the bottom of the fuel tank about the size of half a basketball! This little car was probably "off road" at least once. I think it hit curb or low post/bolder while sliding sideways.

Adrian

ice Avatar
Adrian, I will try to send you the table of measurements points from my Leland workshop manual. Hope it gets to you in usable shape. pls let me know if you get it.

Thnx

Iceman

Atlanta GA

60 AH MK1
62 AH MKII
67 Midget
71 Midget

Attachments:
mg body measurement.jpg    38.2 KB
mg body measurement.jpg

pinkyponk Avatar
Well... I can see it Larry but it's too small to read. Thanks for trying.

Adrian

ice Avatar
How bout try to blow it up on your screen?

Iceman

Atlanta GA

60 AH MK1
62 AH MKII
67 Midget
71 Midget

pinkyponk Avatar
The site software compresses and resizes images when you upload them so maybe you could email it me? I'll PM you my email if you're game.

Adrian

oleanderjoe Avatar
oleanderjoe Gold Member Joseph Baba
Fresno, CA, USA   USA
NICE WORK:

Member Services:
autocomman mark w
lost angy, USA   USA
Nice work man, always good to see someone going through the effort and doin it right.

Mark

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster