Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

ice Avatar
ice Gold Member Larry Ice
Lawrenceville, GA, USA   USA
Carl, Jim....I used a HF 4 1 1/2" angle grinder to cut the support. Using a 1/8" thick wheel the job went quickly. Depending on the year of your car, the support may be reg tubing or pieces put together to form a U shaped piece and then a filler strip welded under the top piece. Bit difficult to explain how I cut out and rewelded support on my 71. I will try to get some pics tomorrow and post them so you can see how I did mine.

Iceman

Atlanta GA

60 AH MK1
62 AH MKII
67 Midget
71 Midget

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
S1 Elan Kurt. Appley
Akron, Ia., USA   USA
Saw and grind the rib off the top of the bell housing section of the Datsun transmission at the very least as well to aid fitting.

Kurt

ice Avatar
One other thing I might mention here. As said there is no slave cylinder cradle for the Rivergate kit. The Rivergate kit uses a proprietary slave cylinder which works well. I believe I could have used the OEM SC with the kit but chose not to.

You can drop the clutch line right down from the clutch MC to the SC. I bought the hydraulic line from Will at Rivergate and it fits fine and it doesn't meander around like the OEM line.

When doing the installation in my car, I found the tranny was too close to the body and the SC mounting location to conveniently use a reg wrench and bolts. To make the installation easier, I used two 3/8 course allen bolts (about 1/4 longer than stock length) to mount the SC to the tranny. I added a couple of thin shims to get the SC lined up with the yoke. Because the space was so limited I ground some of the thickness of the bolt heads to gain clearance and reduced the short end length of the allen wrench to allow me to get at the mounting bolts easier. Then for grins I slotted one side of the SC mounting flange so I could attach the flange with one bolt to the transmission, pivot the slotted SC flange onto the second bolt and tighten both bolts.

Once you get under the car you'll understand what I mean. Makes for a much simpler installation and reduces the time spent cramped up under the car if you don't have a lift. I think Jack Orkin showed me that little trick, he was a great help with the installation as he also has a Rivergate kit in his car. I don't see any reason you couldn't do much the same procedure if you use the OEM SC for an OEM tranny. The SC is just not a user friendly location with either the OEM or aftermarket trannys.

Iceman

Atlanta GA

60 AH MK1
62 AH MKII
67 Midget
71 Midget

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
autocomman mark w
lost angy, USA   USA
Fun stuff, the 5 speed really changes the car...well worth it no question. I did the datsun clutch with I did mine with gerards kit, no complaints here. But I did have to balance the flywheel/clutch assembly when done. The clutch i sourced, it was a LUK, and man the pressure plate needed some weights added to it. But it was a 40$ clutch kit, so no complaints here.

Windrideror Avatar
Windrideror Carl Rosenburg
Redmond, OR, USA   USA
Pulled the engine last Sunday, on Monday shipped the flywheel of for the necessary machine work to be fitted to the Datsun pressure plate and clutch. Was notified today that all work has been completed. Paid my bill and now await its return. So I need to get busy this coming weekend and get some more prep work done.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-18 07:29 PM by Windrideror.

Midgetjohn John Heathcote
Powell River, BC, Canada   CAN
Do you recommend this modification for all spridgets or just if you are doing a 5-speed conversion?
Cheers, John

Windrideror Avatar
Redmond, OR, USA   USA
John, As far as I know it will only work if you are using the Datsun 210 5 speed that is a popular upgrade to our little cars. It is not necessary with The Rivergate kit because they provide a modified clutch with their kit that works with the stock pressure plate with modification of the pressure plate. I'm using Gerards kit to install the transmission into my car and he recommends using the Datsun setup. Bigger clutch plate more springs on the clutch and more release fingers on the pressure plate. Both will work, just a matter of choice. I went with Gerards kit as I already had installed his rear seal kit onto my engine in order to keep the oil where it belongs.

halloween Gregg B
Sheridan, WY, USA   USA
Another thing that makes fitting a 210 tranny easier is a hammer. Cave the box sheet metal duct that connects the heater outlet to the heater doors in slightly (approximately 3" in the middle,under the heater in the trannie tunnel). If you heat it first and are carefull, you can make it look like it came that way from the factory.

Midgetjohn John Heathcote
Powell River, BC, Canada   CAN
I have a (basket-case) Bugeye, and a 74 RWA (currently under restoration), and one Datsun 5-speed (which will likely go in the Bugeye). My question is, are the modifications to the steering rack support and the heater duct only useful when you are installing a 5-speed, or do they also provide more clearance when you are putting in a rib cage transmission?
Cheers, John

Windrideror Avatar
Redmond, OR, USA   USA
John, I'm sure that it would make installation easier no matter which setup you are installing. More room is after all more room and the stock unit is already a tight fit.

ice Avatar
John, it can't hurt anything.

Iceman

Atlanta GA

60 AH MK1
62 AH MKII
67 Midget
71 Midget

halloween Gregg B
Sheridan, WY, USA   USA
Rib case or 210, I've never needed to modify the steering rack mount, but modifying the heater duct does make it easier, especially with a 210. (But I have put a 210 in with out modifying anything, with a Rivergate kit.)
GB

S1 Elan Kurt. Appley
Akron, Ia., USA   USA
In reply to # 3665552 by halloween Rib case or 210, I've never needed to modify the steering rack mount, but modifying the heater duct does make it easier, especially with a 210. (But I have put a 210 in with out modifying anything, with a Rivergate kit.)
GB

x2!thumbs up

anagy66 Avatar
anagy66 Al Nagy
Lititz, PA, USA   USA
Hello Carl,

For my five speed install I had to clearance the area behind the shifter to make room for the front universal joint. Photo attached.

Cheers, Al

Attachments:
P1010330.JPG    69 KB
P1010330.JPG

halloween Gregg B
Sheridan, WY, USA   USA
I used the Rivergate rear transmission mount in my conversions and had no clearance issues of any kind. I think my trannies set lower at the back than yours.
GB

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster