early gas cap -----

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

woodstock1 jim jensen
cleveland, USA   USA
because the tank is sealed, this has to be a vented cap.....no...?......VB offers 2 caps- early and later.......

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Chas 906 Avatar
Chas 906 Chuck Peterson
Iron Mountain, MI, USA   USA
1961 MG Midget MkI "Little Red Rider"
What year is your car Jim?

66jalopy Avatar
66jalopy Silver Member Phillip Jolliffe
Lake City, FL, USA   USA
How early? yes early cars are vented caps.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
ice Avatar
ice Gold Member Larry Ice
Lawrenceville, GA, USA   USA
Jim, if you post the year of your car to your profile the guys trying to help you won't have to ask what year your car was built, a critical part of trying to help you with your questions. A one time posting of the year of your car in your profile and it's done! Helps everyone get to the heart of your questions.

Iceman

Atlanta GA

60 AH MK1
62 AH MKII
67 Midget
71 Midget

Chas 906 Avatar
Chas 906 Chuck Peterson
Iron Mountain, MI, USA   USA
1961 MG Midget MkI "Little Red Rider"
I'm pretty sure my '61 has a vented cap.

woodstock1 jim jensen
cleveland, USA   USA
Larry - this was a rhetorical question......ok- I have a 76 midget.....bought a new gas tank [for $110 total] on amazon......but- it does not have the extra small connection for the 6 inch round gizmo's tube by the right taillight......in as much as all the emission stuff is long gone, I figure that a vented cap would be best......VB lists caps form 59 to 69 for $15........the cap on my car now is a sealer......jim

ice Avatar
ice Gold Member Larry Ice
Lawrenceville, GA, USA   USA
Jim
If your car has had much of the emission controls removed or disabled and the state allows it I would remove the rest of the controls and concentrate on keeping the car in good tune. So, I would opt for a vented cap and not be concerned about the tank itself being vented. Moss offers several caps as does VB so you have found. I would go for MOSS PN 202-750 as that covers the earlier vented fuel system. I would call VB or MOSS first and make sure it is vented though. Just a thought here, have you gone over where the emission control were connected to your carbs? Might check to see all the vents are sealed up so you aren't causing a vacuum leak which will affect how the car runs.
Have fun!

Iceman

Atlanta GA

60 AH MK1
62 AH MKII
67 Midget
71 Midget

66jalopy Avatar
66jalopy Silver Member Phillip Jolliffe
Lake City, FL, USA   USA
Don't seal the bowl vents or it won't run right, may just fill the engine with gas.

woodstock1 jim jensen
cleveland, USA   USA
thanks to all for the replies.......larry- nah, I haven't checked the carb yet......it was put on from another car....I heard the car run for about a minute- with gas out of a can under the hood...........I must wait until the snow and ice melt off the car cover before getting at it again.....yeah, the 202-750 seems like the right cap....and I will ask them.......so far, so good.....cheerio, jim

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1962 MG MGA MkII

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links