AutoShrine Sponsor

littlecars Avatar
littlecars David Bassett
Nashville, TN, USA   USA
1965 Chevrolet Corvair "Ski Team Transport SOLD!"
1965 MG Midget MkII "Buffoon"
1966 MG Midget MkII "Swiss Cheese...SCRAPPED"
1970 Triumph Spitfire MkIII "Tamara's Turd... SOLD!!!"    & more
I've finally gotten around to fiddling with my 1965 Midget with wire wheels. I've found references to these things, and I presume they are designed to ride beneath the knockoff cap to retain heavy grease. Are we supposed to load up the "cup" with grease, insert the threaded pin side out, then install the center cap? Are they threaded due to some long-gone missing shop tool? Mine were just hanging in there loose. The car probably hasn't been lubricated since Gerald Ford was in office.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
Wire Wheel MG Grease Caps.jpg    18.9 KB
Wire Wheel MG Grease Caps.jpg

tater salad Avatar
tater salad Gold Member Todd Smith
Charlotte, NC, USA   USA
the threaded portion is to remove them to service the wheel side of business, its so you can put a slide hammer on the threaded post to remove them when its time for an overhaul, and this per say dust cap , yes you can put grease behind it so to keep grease on the bearings, just be careful and not try to install new ones with something threaded on the all thread to install, it wont work, I know, oh I know

oleanderjoe Avatar
oleanderjoe Gold Member Joseph Baba
Fresno, CA, USA   USA
I Manufacture a tool for this @ www.mossmotors,com Part # 384-935 / Or www.originalduplicates.con Part# 031943 Cheers

Member Services:
S1 Elan Kurt. Appley
Akron, Ia., USA   USA
They should be driven in far enough to cover the cotter pin hole in the splined wheel hub.

Kurt

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
littlecars Avatar
littlecars David Bassett
Nashville, TN, USA   USA
1965 Chevrolet Corvair "Ski Team Transport SOLD!"
1965 MG Midget MkII "Buffoon"
1966 MG Midget MkII "Swiss Cheese...SCRAPPED"
1970 Triumph Spitfire MkIII "Tamara's Turd... SOLD!!!"    & more
Rawhide mallet?

zabond Russell Meehan
Neerim East, victoria, Australia   AUS
1966 MG Midget "Bridget"
I used a spark plug socket & extension bar and knocked it in with a hammer, you don't want to hit the threaded rod or you will damage the cap
Russ

highwaydevil David H.
Denver, USA   USA
Ok, I'm going to slightly hijack this thread. I pulled my front rims off, and the grease cap, or what I assume to be the grease cap, fell out into my hand. How are they supposed to be seated, and if mine is as loose as it seems do I need a new one? What may have happened if it's been loose and flopping aorund in there for who knows how long?
Thanks,
David

halloween Gregg B
Sheridan, WY, USA   USA
Weld a nut to a 5/16x4" bolt to remove it, and tap it back in with a socket. They go in pretty easy.

Kerr Avatar
Kerr Platinum Member Norm Kerr
Ann Arbor, MI, USA   USA
Hi David,

The wire wheel nut won't allow the cap to get lost, so it is sort of OK if it is not real tight in there.

However, if it is so loose it rattles you can try tweaking its outer shape ever so slightly, just enough so it will stick when pressed into the hub and not flop around.

N

zabond Russell Meehan
Neerim East, victoria, Australia   AUS
1966 MG Midget "Bridget"
a smear of silastic will hold it and also stop any grease getting out onto your wheel

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster