Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

padutchmidget Richard W
Landisville, PA, USA   USA
200 MPH you have a PM

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Chas 906 Avatar
Chas 906 Chuck Peterson
Iron Mountain, MI, USA   USA
1961 MG Midget MkI "Little Red Rider"
I recently went back to the OE steering wheel. Had it beautifully restored by Mike Ruckman from this forum. I've been told the original larger wheel gives better steering response to the car. Archie, what is the plexi glass behind the roll bar for?

ArchieMcAllister Avatar
ArchieMcAllister Silver Member Archie McAllister
CLeveland, TN, USA   USA
I installed that plexiglass (actually lexan, I think) as an attempt to decrease the backdraft in the cockpit during cold weather/top down driving. Worked OK but rattled at certain rpm's so I removed it. May try again with a bit thicker material next time. I did install a set of those electric seat heaters (ebay purchase) when having them reupholstered and they work great. Year round driving conditions (expect for very occasional snow & salt) here in TN, so those having those heaters to warm my butt are a very nice addition!

Archie

Archie McAllister
1955 MG TF1500
68 Austin Healey Sprite

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Obijon911 Avatar
Obijon911 Jonathan Shaffner
Calgary, Canada   CAN
1973 MG MGB
Hi everyone, I just received my Volante wheel/boss for my 73 B, and the wheel itself looks great. I had a question about the boss, hoping someone might have an answer? Every picture I have seen looks like the horn push sits flush with the top ring, but this one pushes down through the ring and sits flush with the housing of the boss. From the pictures I posted, I think it leaves a pretty ugly view of the inside edge of the top ring. Is this normal for these wheels, or do I have some miss-matched parts?
Cheers;
Jonathan

Attachments:
Volante Steering Wheel.JPG    29 KB
Volante Steering Wheel.JPG

Volante Top Ring.JPG    30.9 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
padutchmidget Richard W
I am in the process of my install but I think mine was out further. I believe mine sat in the top ring not down into the hub. I will check it out when I finish the install.

Obijon911 Avatar
Calgary, Canada   CAN
1973 MG MGB
Thanks Richard, much appreciated.

Yankeedriver Avatar
Yankeedriver Platinum AdvertiserAdvertiser Joel Young
Albuquerque, NM, USA   USA
In reply to # 3668267 by Chas 906 I recently went back to the OE steering wheel. Had it beautifully restored by Mike Ruckman from this forum. I've been told the original larger wheel gives better steering response to the car. Archie, what is the plexi glass behind the roll bar for?

Chuck,

I have retained the stock wheel because I like the way it looks, but at high speed it seems like the big wheel allows finer adjustments.

Joel

Member Services:
Innovative DIY performance and reliability upgrades.
Chas 906 Avatar
Chas 906 Chuck Peterson
Iron Mountain, MI, USA   USA
1961 MG Midget MkI "Little Red Rider"
I've noticed the same thing Joel.

padutchmidget Richard W
Jonathon, I purchased mine last week it arrived Monday and mine looks the same. I could photograph it but it would be pretty much the same as yours. I see a lot of venders use Tourist trophy hubs in their wheels, wonder if they fit flush? When you buy a Moto Lita Moss gives a TT hub.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-06-13 06:59 AM by padutchmidget.

Yankeedriver Avatar
Yankeedriver Platinum AdvertiserAdvertiser Joel Young
Albuquerque, NM, USA   USA
In reply to # 3754277 by Chas 906 I've noticed the same thing Joel.

Chuck,

Would you consider posting a photo or two of your reconditioned OEM steering wheel? I found some money in the sock drawer and may want Mike Ruckman to refurbish mine, too. Also, have you got Mike's email address?

Joel

Member Services:
Innovative DIY performance and reliability upgrades.
Obijon911 Avatar
Calgary, Canada   CAN
1973 MG MGB
Thanks Richard. I contacted my seller, and they said the inside of the Top Ring is supposed to be finished, but mine was not (as in the second picture in my first post). They are sending me another ring with a polished inside surface.
Cheers;
Jonathan

padutchmidget Richard W
Jonathan, the inside of top ring on mine is finished not perfect but not anywhere as rough as yours. Did you try bolting it all together with the supplied hardware? I wasn't able to use the acorn nuts, the bottomed out before the were tight. I damaged one of the supplied screws and ended up at the Depo buying hadrware. I used 9 10/32 stainless lock nuts and 9 new 10/32X1" stainless oval head philips machine screws. The supplied screws are about 1/8" to long and #10 washers are bigger than the supplied washers so they wont fit to the hub. I did a lot of trial and error to make it all work on my car.

Obijon911 Avatar
Calgary, Canada   CAN
1973 MG MGB
Richard, I have not assembled mine yet, as I was waiting for a reply from the seller on the state of the Top Ring. Once I receive the replacement ring, I will start assembly, likely early next week. It sounds like mine came with the same Phillips screws / captive nuts / washers as yours. For the price (compared to a real Moto Lita or Tourist Trophy) I expected a little tinkering. Overall I am very happy with the finish of the Volante, looks really nice.
Cheers;
Jonathan

padutchmidget Richard W
Jonathon, I ended up putting the supplied acorn nuts back on. They didn't work with the supplied 10/32 oval head screws because they were about 1/8" to long. I replaced all 9 because changing just 1 didn't match, with Home Depo stainless 10/32X 1" oval head screws. I think it was like 1 dollar for a pack of 3. The1" Depo screws are also just a little to long and the #10 stainless washers i purchased are two large [outside diameter] that is but thier 5mm stainless washers are the same as the supplied washers so I purchased 3 packs of 4 for 54 cents each. I figured I would share my trial and error and maybe save you the multiple trips to hardware store.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster