AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Diff. nose seal
  This topic is about my 1971 MG Midget MkIII
Jan Kruber Avatar
Ballerup, Copenhagen, Denmark   DNK
Changed the differential nose seal last winther, I think that it was a little loose fit. During the 2017 driving season there would be a few drops of oil after having been driving. It has neew lost a drop, just by standing. I thought the oil came out between the casing and the outer diameter of the seal, but now I'm not quite sure about that. Maybe the oil penetrate the seal lip when the shaft is rotating. Dont know, but what do you guys think about placing a new seal 0.08" (2mm) further in the casing, so that the seal lip would run in the smooth area between the grey track and the bevelled edge gf the boss? The grey area, off course, being the area, where the seal lip has been running for decades. Further more, the seal feels like having a tighter fit when place 0.08" (2mm) further in the housing, still leaving a space between the seal and the bearing of approx 0.16" (4mm).
I don't feel any sideway movement in the shaft.

Mightymidget

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
IMG_0584.JPG    36.9 KB
IMG_0584.JPG

66jalopy Avatar
66jalopy Silver Member Phillip Jolliffe
Lake City, FL, USA   USA
There should be a sleeve available to slide on, bringing it back to like new. Easy fix.

atm92484 Avatar
atm92484 Andrew M
Fort Worth, TX, USA   USA
https://mossmotors.com/mg-midget-austin-healey-sprite/clutch-gearbox-drivetrain/differential-axles/speedi-sleeve-differential-pinion-seal

You might want to measure and see if the parts stores have anything in that size. I did the axle housing a few years ago when installing double bearing rear hubs. I think they were ~$30 a piece for that size.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
oleanderjoe Avatar
oleanderjoe Gold Member Joseph Baba
Fresno, CA, USA   USA
Also check the vent gizmo Top edge, right hand side of the differential.

Member Services:
Jan Kruber Avatar
Wouldn't a Speedi Sleve require a seal with other ID dimension, because the boss diameter is increased with the sleeve?

Mightymidget

Jan Kruber Avatar
Joseph,
how do check it? I can see on the shaft housing area around the vent valve that it has been "sweathing" during the season, which should indicate that it's not blocked.

In reply to # 3659224 by oleanderjoe Also check the vent gizmo Top edge, right hand side of the differential.

Mightymidget

Speedracer Avatar
Speedracer Platinum Member Hap Waldrop
Greenville, SC, USA   USA
1967 MG MGB Racecar "The Biscuit"
In reply to # 3659344 by Jan Kruber Wouldn't a Speedi Sleve require a seal with other ID dimension, because the boss diameter is increased with the sleeve?

No, the seal has larger tolerance range then the thickness of the speedi sleeve.

Hap Waldrop
Acme Speed Shop
864-370-3000
hapwaldrop@acmespeedshop.com

Member Services:
MG/ Triumph Performance Street/Race Engines - Cylinder Head Porting - Modified SU HS Carbs - DIY Engine Rebuild Kits With Free Tech Advice - VTO alloy wheels for British Sport Cars, and others
Jan Kruber Avatar
Yes, I talked to SKF Denmark today and got the whole story. I have ordered a SKF 99150 Speedi Sleve locally for half the price of the MG spares providers thumbs up

In reply to # 3659355 by Speedracer
In reply to # 3659344 by Jan Kruber Wouldn't a Speedi Sleve require a seal with other ID dimension, because the boss diameter is increased with the sleeve?

No, the seal has larger tolerance range then the thickness of the speedi sleeve.

Mightymidget

oleanderjoe Avatar
oleanderjoe Gold Member Joseph Baba
Fresno, CA, USA   USA
The vent s a removable part. Original ones were metal, and had a "Cover" on top with a screwdriver slot. Ir will "Unscrew" and come out. Later replacement ones were plastic Same thing, it unscrews Once off it can be cleaned out. They fill up with Oil and road dirt. Diff need a vent or internal pressure forces oil out past the seal. Cheers

Member Services:
GeorgeOhr Nonya Business
Yes, confused, USA   USA
Make sure it's straight when you try to tap it on and tap it on evenly.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster