MGExp

MG Midget Forum

Anyone ever run 185/60/13 on stock SWA car?

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

GeorgeOhr Nonya Business
Yes, confused, USA   USA
I have 175/70/13s now and rub a little on the inner fender at full lock, Anyone try to run 185/70/13's on a street 1500 SWA car with stock suspension? I'm thinking about these tires; I have 5" wide JBW rims.

https://simpletire.com/federal-p185-60r13-148h3afa-tires?stmodel=ss595&stcategory=uhp&sttype=passenger&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIkNzp_fPE2AIVSD2BCh0sOwLiEAYYAiABEgLKlvD_BwE

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
ice Avatar
ice Gold Member Larry Ice
Lawrenceville, GA, USA   USA
George, think you will find the tires will rub and be a bit wide for 5" rim. I run 175/70r-13's on a 5.5 in. wide rim and that was the max my tire dealer recommended. I radiased my wheel wells on my 71 so the profile of the WW is almost the same as a Bugeye rear WW.

Iceman

Atlanta GA

60 AH MK1
62 AH MKII
67 Midget
71 Midget

Attachments:
71 yellow passenger side view 15 May 08.JPG    72.8 KB
71 yellow passenger side view 15 May 08.JPG

Yankeedriver Avatar
Yankeedriver Platinum AdvertiserAdvertiser Joel Young
Albuquerque, NM, USA   USA
In reply to # 3657832 by ice George, think you will find the tires will rub and be a bit wide for 5" rim. I run 175/70r-13's on a 5.5 in. wide rim and that was the max my tire dealer recommended. I radiased my wheel wells on my 71 so the profile of the WW is almost the same as a Bugeye rear WW.

George - x2 what Larry said. I also run 175/70R13s on Moss's 5.5 in. Minilite, and they just b-a-r-e-l-y fit. But no rubbing even with my '67 square wheel well (pictured) and a passenger and trunk folk of groceries.

P.S. - Larry, I love your garage. There's an old, single-bay service station--I'd say probably built in the 40s or 50s--about a mile up the canyon from where I live that I would love to be able to buy some day. Still has one of those neato Phillips 66 streamlined sheet metal pumps out front. I've been thinking of making an over-and-under shop and apartment for Dad, but my covenants won't allow sufficient height for a first floor high enough for one of those cool lifts. So, I gaze at that old station every time I go to the post office and daydream...

Joel

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-07 10:15 AM by Yankeedriver.

Member Services:
Innovative DIY performance and reliability upgrades.

Attachments:
Wet wheel MG up.jpg    40 KB
Wet wheel MG up.jpg

GeorgeOhr Nonya Business
Yes, confused, USA   USA

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
ice Avatar
Joel, unfortunately, I can't claim the shop as being mine. It belonged to a buddy of mine who built it while I was in Iraq and was nice enough to let me use it to rebuild my 71.
When I moved to Lawrenceville Ga. I had a 25x22 metal shop built in the backyard and I have that to work in on my cars and bikes. No lift in my shop however, been thinkin of that but just really can't justify taking up the space for the few times I would use it. I built a 10x22 shed on the end of the garage this summer and it has already proven useful to store equipment I don't use often such as an engine lift, work tables as well as being a catch all for yard equipment! You can never build a building too large for collecting cars!

Iceman

Atlanta GA

60 AH MK1
62 AH MKII
67 Midget
71 Midget

ice Avatar
So it does George, my bad. Still think you would have a problem with the tire rubbing the arch though.

Iceman

Atlanta GA

60 AH MK1
62 AH MKII
67 Midget
71 Midget

Yankeedriver Avatar

I see that you're right: 5" - 6.5" rims permitted. So, the only concerns would be rubbing when the car's fully loaded, and clearance at the rear leaf springs.

Joel

Member Services:
75RD350 Kent Q
Sacramento, CA, USA   USA
I have a RWA car so can't speak from experience but one of the Northern CA vintage guys runs 185/60/13 Hoosiers on 13x5 wheels on his SWA car but he's using gullwing springs and there is a very noticeable "pull" to his rear fenders to make this combo work.

halloween Gregg B
Sheridan, WY, USA   USA
I don't think it will work without some modifications. I have a RWA Midget with custom laced wire wheels (to get the right offset) that I run 205/60x 13 Vredenstien tires on. They do not rub, but on a SWA car, the inside of the fender lip might need massaged. I'll send you pictures if you send me your email, if that would help.
gregg.berning@gmail

AN5L8016 Avatar
AN5L8016 Mark Haynes
Nederland, CO, USA   USA
I put 185/60-13s on 5.5s my MKII Sprite, I folded the fender lip over inward (had to cut it first), then needed to deform the inner fenderwell to the boot to keep it from leaving a blue smoke trail smoking smiley with a passenger. I also used custom turned wheel spacers and went to 4X100mm all around, as the wheels came from a BMW 2002.

'58 Bugeye
'05 Mini Cooper S

littlecars Avatar
littlecars David Bassett
Nashville, TN, USA   USA
1965 Chevrolet Corvair "Ski Team Transport SOLD!"
1965 MG Midget MkII "Buffoon"
1966 MG Midget MkII "Swiss Cheese...SCRAPPED"
1970 Triumph Spitfire MkIII "Tamara's Turd... SOLD!!!"    & more
I removed 175/70R/13 from my stock 1965 Midget SWA with wire wheels. I thought they made the car look handsome and veddy British. But, I never drove the car with them. My wheels came back from the blaster and I have 155s installed on them now. Unfortunately these look a bit wimpy and don't fill the wheel wells very well. I'm sure I'll be comparing the various profiles once the car is on the road and not just "yard driving."

BTW, I did find it nearly impossible to remove the 175s from the rear without taking pressure out of the tubes and much manhandling under the fenderwell.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-08 02:35 PM by littlecars.

halloween Gregg B
Sheridan, WY, USA   USA
How did you change the stock bolt circle (101.6mm or 4""winking smiley to 100mm on the front hubs?
GB

Yankeedriver Avatar
In reply to # 3658477 by AN5L8016 I put 185/60-13s on 5.5s my MKII Sprite, I folded the fender lip over inward (had to cut it first), then needed to deform the inner fenderwell to the boot to keep it from leaving a blue smoke trail smoking smiley with a passenger. I also used custom turned wheel spacers and went to 4X100mm all around, as the wheels came from a BMW 2002.

Mark,

How about a picture of those Beemer wheels on the Spridget? That sounds neato.

Joel

Member Services:
AN5L8016 Avatar
AN5L8016 Mark Haynes
Nederland, CO, USA   USA
They ween't the factory wheels, but here you go:

'58 Bugeye
'05 Mini Cooper S

Attachments:
DSCN6237.JPG    85.6 KB
DSCN6237.JPG

Yankeedriver Avatar
In reply to # 3658919 by AN5L8016 They ween't the factory wheels, but here you go:

Gives it a really muscular look. Yours might be the only Spridget around with those wheels. I like the aerodynamic license plate, by the way. cool smiley

Joel

Member Services:

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster