Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

GusRowell117 Gus Rowell
Barnard Castle, durham, UK   GBR
Hi all
Mg suffering with no spark problem. Tried changing the coil and the distributor but nothing!!! Cant work on it anymore today because of the rainsad smiley but have no clue whats happening. New to all this so can do with any help out there cheers!

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
ken472 Avatar
ken472 Ken Petersen
Luverne, MN, USA   USA
Did you check for voltage with switch on. Could be bad ignition switch. Need a test light or volt meter. I presume the starter works. Could be a bad coil wire to the distributor. I’ll say what everyone else says. Check all grounds. Hope this helps.

ice Avatar
ice Gold Member Larry Ice
Lawrenceville, GA, USA   USA
What kind of distributor?

Iceman

Atlanta GA

60 AH MK1
62 AH MKII
67 Midget
71 Midget

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
GeorgeOhr Nonya Business
Yes, confused, USA   USA
I show that you UK guys have points in '78 but no info on '79 models. I would imagine that year would have breaker points too. Clean with a nail file, emory board or sandpaper and gap to .014-.016. You can do a quick check for power to coil by watching points break as an assistant tries to start the car; watch for sparks.

66jalopy Avatar
66jalopy Silver Member Phillip Jolliffe
Lake City, FL, USA   USA
Do you have 12v at the battery side of the coil with the ignition on? Place to start. If you don't it may be a bad connection or ignition switch. Take a jump wire from battery to coil and see if you get spark

Hidalco Co Duindam
Pukekohe, franklin, New Zealand   NZL
1/ turn ignition on. 2/ Remove distributor cap . 3/ Pull out high tension lead from cap leave other end in coil. 4/ Hold end of h/t lead to ground not touching. 5/ Open manually breaker point . You should get a spark!
no spark your problem is coil side , faulty coil or no power to coil. if you do get a spark must be distributor or leads or plugs. Good luck Co

GusRowell117 Gus Rowell
Hi all thanks for feedback. So tried afew of your ideas this morning. Tested for spark at breaker points and NOTHING. Then went to test wire from coil to distributor and that is fine. Tested wires from coil to starter solenoid and thats fine. Discovered there is no power coming to the coil (tested coil and its fine also brand new). So i was wondering if you knew any ideas into why my coil isnt getting power. Cheers

ken472 Avatar
ken472 Ken Petersen
Luverne, MN, USA   USA
Did you do an ohm test on the large coil wire? Or the new coil is bad? Did you by any chance hook the coil up backwards?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-05 07:06 AM by ken472.

GusRowell117 Gus Rowell
Checked large wire and it all looks good. Also checked the coild for continuity and all checks out too. Mystery and coils on fine also have a working but beaten up one that also isnt working.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-05 07:10 AM by GusRowell117.

ken472 Avatar
ken472 Ken Petersen
Luverne, MN, USA   USA
Do you have a ballast resistor on this car? If so it could be bad they burn out like light bulbs. I still think there could be a broken wire from the ignition switch to the ignition or the switch is bad. You could have the switch in the on position and try to jump start it from under the hood with a push button switch or just 2 wires.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-05 07:13 AM by ken472.

GusRowell117 Gus Rowell
Dont have a ballistic resistor. Curious thing though, The wire that goes from starter solenoid to the coil doesnt have any power coming out of it? Will also double check the wires from ignition

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-05 07:21 AM by GusRowell117.

ken472 Avatar
ken472 Ken Petersen
Luverne, MN, USA   USA
Solenoid bad?

GusRowell117 Gus Rowell
Thats my thought. maybe another trip out to the parts dealersmiling smiley

Just got a new one so fingers crossed. Also turns oit the terminal for the coil is loose and wobbly.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-05 08:45 AM by GusRowell117.

GusRowell117 Gus Rowell
Solenoid in but no differencesad smiley cant think now. Surely if it was the ignition switch the engine wouldnt turn over? Am i wrong

ken472 Avatar
ken472 Ken Petersen
Luverne, MN, USA   USA
You should not have any loose or wobbly parts

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1951 MG TD MkII

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links