Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

khmerpoh Avatar
khmerpoh Vireak K
Annandale, VA, USA   USA
The headlights on my 1970 Midget are working fine. Wipers are fine. The tail lights are fine. But the turn signal indictators are not working and my the turn signals on the front and back are not working. I get nothing when I flick on the lever to get it to work. The whole radio console was basically just disregarded and wires ripped out. So my radio, emergency switch/ hazard flasher are out of commission. Don't know why this was done, this happened during owner 1 and I'm owner 3.

I try to look up wiring diagrams, I see the turn signals from the back are wired to the front and then wire back to the turn signal switch which is linked to the hazard flasher switch and then back to the ignition switch and fuses? So does the fact my console is removed affect my turn signals? Or these linked up somewhere where I don't know. I can't see where the turn signal lamps back and front meet up. Or is it still operable and must be something else like a a fuse or wire. I attached some photos. Seems all over the place to me, I understand basically wiring but I'm lost when I see this.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
IMG_0292.JPG    61 KB
IMG_0292.JPG

IMG_0289.JPG    34.6 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
20160413_191051.jpg    33.1 KB
100_1296.jpg    44.8 KB
refisk Avatar
refisk Rick Fisk
Frankenmuth, MI, USA   USA
There are two green wires in that bundle right in the middle that used to be connected to the hazard flasher switch. Connect them together and the turn signals should work.

khmerpoh Avatar
khmerpoh Vireak K
Annandale, VA, USA   USA
Still got nothing after hooking those up. Do you know what the black and brown wires in that bunch are? So was I correct to assume that without the connections at the hazard flasher my turn signals will not work at all?

In reply to # 3581054 by refisk There are two green wires in that bundle right in the middle that used to be connected to the hazard flasher switch. Connect them together and the turn signals should work.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Kerr Avatar
Kerr Platinum Member Norm Kerr
Ann Arbor, MI, USA   USA
the only wires at the hazard that are required for the turn signals to work are the two green wires.

to answer your other question: the black wire is a ground. The brown wire is +12V all of the time (unfused). Brown is connected directly to the battery, and besides the hazard circuit also goes to the ignition switch and to the alternator

N

Stargazer14 Avatar
Stargazer14 Mike Redmond
West Chester, PA, USA   USA
Often overlooked.

Alan Avatar
Alan Alan Warschaw
Long Beach, CA, USA   USA
I have the same year. I had the same problem. After I removed the radio console which holds the emergency flasher switch. The emergency switch powers the turn signal. I over came that problem by running a jumper wire from the fuse box to the turn signal flasher on the right hand side of the firewall. See picture

The other thing Is to check the plug under the dash next to the steering column, make sure it is clean. It my be as simple as having a bad flasher on the firewall.

Attachments:
20160522_065238.jpg    65.6 KB
20160522_065238.jpg

refisk Avatar
refisk Rick Fisk
Black is ground and brown should have 12 volts on it.

The power for the turn signals goes through the hazard flasher switch, so without the hazard flasher switch in place the turn signals will not work. The factory designed it that way so that you can't turn on both the hazard flashers and turn signals at the same time.

In reply to # 3581405 by khmerpoh Still got nothing after hooking those up. Do you know what the black and brown wires in that bunch are? So was I correct to assume that without the connections at the hazard flasher my turn signals will not work at all?

In reply to # 3581054 by refisk There are two green wires in that bundle right in the middle that used to be connected to the hazard flasher switch. Connect them together and the turn signals should work.

Kerr Avatar
Kerr Platinum Member Norm Kerr
Ann Arbor, MI, USA   USA
Alan, just curious, why did you have to run the jumper, did you eliminate your hazard switch, or was the switch broken beyond repair and decided not to get it fixed?

The purpose of having the turn signal power be turned on and off by the hazard switch is to prevent the two separate systems from competing for the turn signal bulbs. They each have their own power supply and their own flasher relays (the only place where they "meet" is at the wires that go to the bulbs themselves), but since the hazard should take priority over the bulbs when it is turned on the power to the turn signal flasher is turned off. So, a jumper could be simply connecting the two green wires together at the hazard switch, but would only be a practical thing to do if the hazard system has been deleted.

99% of the time all that is needed is to rock the hazard switch back and forth a few times to clean the contacts and then the turn signals resume their normal function.

N

Alan Avatar
Alan Alan Warschaw
In reply to # 3581645 by Kerr Alan, just curious, why did you have to run the jumper, did you eliminate your hazard switch, or was the switch broken beyond repair and decided not to get it fixed?

The purpose of having the turn signal power be turned on and off by the hazard switch is to prevent the two separate systems from competing for the turn signal bulbs. They each have their own power supply and their own flasher relays (the only place where they "meet" is at the wires that go to the bulbs themselves), but since the hazard should take priority over the bulbs when it is turned on the power to the turn signal flasher is turned off. So, a jumper could be simply connecting the two green wires together at the hazard switch, but would only be a practical thing to do if the hazard system has been deleted.

99% of the time all that is needed is to rock the hazard switch back and forth a few times to clean the contacts and then the turn signals resume their normal function.

N

Norm because I removed the radio console which housed the emergency flasher switch. I had a choice of relocation of the switch or doing away with it. I chose doing away of emergency flasher switch and running the short jumper wire for the turn signal power.

The reason I point out the jumper wire is it is a way others can check if emergency flasher switch is the problem by bypassing it. As the emergency flasher has been the problem for others. And many do not know the flasher under the dash is for the emergency flasher and the turn signal flasher is on the firewall in the engine compartment.

Alan Avatar
Alan Alan Warschaw
The reason I point out the jumper wire is it is a way others can check if emergency flasher switch is the problem by bypassing it. As the emergency flasher has been the problem for others. And many do not know the flasher under the dash is for the emergency flasher and the turn signal flasher is on the firewall in the engine compartment.

In reply to # 3581645 by Kerr Alan, just curious, why did you have to run the jumper, did you eliminate your hazard switch, or was the switch broken beyond repair and decided not to get it fixed?

N

Norm because I removed the radio console which housed the emergency flasher switch. I had a choice of relocation of the switch or doing away with it. I chose doing away of emergency flasher switch and running the short jumper wire for the turn signal power.

terryke5hwe Silver Member Terry Halbert
Rogers, AR - Arkansas, USA   USA
1978 MG Midget 1500 "Midge"
1979 MG MGB "Money Pit!"
I'm having similar issue with my 1979 Midget too! After reading this I got turn signal to work for the first time tonight! I don't want to hijack the post but I bypassed the hazard switch and got turn signal but only on the left front and rear. I didn't know that there was a separate flasher! Where can I get the schematic diagram in color?

terryke5hwe Silver Member Terry Halbert
Rogers, AR - Arkansas, USA   USA
1978 MG Midget 1500 "Midge"
1979 MG MGB "Money Pit!"
My 1979 Midget wiring looks just like the photos in the o.p.!! Making progress..

khmerpoh Avatar
khmerpoh Vireak K
Annandale, VA, USA   USA
Hi all,

Been reading your comments and trying couple of things. I did try the green wires together and go nothing. I can see what you mean Alan if power is run from fuse to the hazard module and which powers the turn signals. So could just bypass a non working hazard switch and go direct to the signals. Thank you for the photos but I'm still a new and don't know what I'm looking at. I read from you and others that the supposed flasher right behind the dash is the "hazard" **flasher**. And the turn signal flasher is on the firewall. Its probably starting at me in the face, but I don't know what it looks like. I attached pictures of the "flasher" behind that dash.

In reply to # 3581665 by Alan

N

Attachments:
unnamed-4.jpg    36.7 KB
unnamed-4.jpg

unnamed-5.jpg    61.5 KB
unnamed-6.jpg    56.1 KB
khmerpoh Avatar
khmerpoh Vireak K
Annandale, VA, USA   USA
Please hijack all you want. As long as it helps with you getting your signals to work!! Mine is 1970 and yours 1979. I think its a little different, so I'm surprised you still got yours to work. Everywhere Im reading with turn signal problems, the people have post 1975 cars and the midgets have a glovebox and the turn signal flasher is located behind that. So super confusing me. I hoping to just do these bypass and do it directly and hope that works. Or hope it just requires a new flasher unit. This is been bothering me for so many months!

In reply to # 3581951 by terryke5hwe My 1979 Midget wiring looks just like the photos in the o.p.!! Making progress..

refisk Avatar
refisk Rick Fisk
Vireak,

This is the turn signal flasher.

Attachments:
IMG_3262.jpg    49.9 KB
IMG_3262.jpg

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster