Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

trevorwj Avatar
trevorwj Trevor Jessie
Louisville, KY, USA   USA
Dynomax is Walker ... I have one on my car that is similar but it has been discontinued.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Yankeedriver Avatar
Yankeedriver Platinum AdvertiserAdvertiser Joel Young
Albuquerque, NM, USA   USA
Thanks, guys.

Trevor - so, how do you like the sound? Is it a similar straight-through but offset design?

Joel

Member Services:
Innovative DIY performance and reliability upgrades.
BlueMax1 Avatar
BlueMax1 A G
?, ?, USA   USA
I fabricated mine out of 304 stainless with .075 wall thickness all Tig wielding. No excessive noise resonating from tubing, but awesome sound out of muffler.

Attachments:
P1040161.JPG    56.3 KB
P1040161.JPG

baloo Avatar
baloo Silver Member s y
In reply to # 3554722 by BlueMax1 I fabricated mine out of 304 stainless with .075 wall thickness all Tig wielding. No excessive noise resonating from tubing, but awesome sound out of muffler.

Has anyone noted Max's car's under belly??!!!!
Wow.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Yankeedriver Avatar
Baloo - yes, I noticed. Guess that ?,? USA has lots of sunny days.

Max - beautiful job. Thanks for sharing.

Joel

Member Services:
trevorwj Avatar
trevorwj Trevor Jessie
Mine is more of a straight flow through with glass packing. I do not care for the noise level. It is too loud. It sounds awesome when smashing the loud pedal, but is just too loud at speed when cruising. It is quieter than the straight through glass pack that was on the car prior to this muffler, it just seems like it could benefit from a resonator or something.

In reply to # 3554629 by Yankeedriver Thanks, guys.

Trevor - so, how do you like the sound? Is it a similar straight-through but offset design?

Joel

Yankeedriver Avatar
Thanks, Trevor.

I am increasingly intrigued by the balance of flow and silencing that I suspect the Magnaflow 11123 may provide. From what I've read, the Maniflow LCB medium bore mated to a 1-3/4" exhaust pipe should be sufficient for my target horsepower when the engine's rebuilt and M45 blower mounted.

I am almost positive the interior photo (posted again for convenience) is of an offset-style Magnaflow box, though I'm not sure whether it depicts the 1-3/4" bore. I might have titled it; can't recall. Could be a stock/generic photo.

I think there is a local speed shop that may carry the Magnaflow brand, so I'll see if I can go look at one and confirm, maybe take a picture. If not, I may just take the plunge after double-checking the fitment in the space next to the tank. The pipe is available at the local mom-and-pop muffler shop by the foot, cheap, and of course they'll happily put the mild bends in it to mirror the OEM pipe's route. No need to spring for stainless pipe in NM; just change it out if it ever rusts... in, like, 100 years.

Currently the OEM-style 1-5/8" exhaust pipe (leading to a stock straight-through Moss Motors can) j-u-s-t slips inside the Maniflow's outlet flange, which I'm 99% sure is designed to fit a 1.75" exhaust pipe.

Joel

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2017-07-19 08:24 AM by Yankeedriver.

Member Services:

Attachments:
magnaflow_inside.jpg    31.5 KB
magnaflow_inside.jpg

nonracer Gold Member Steve Codianni
AZ, USA   USA
Walker is the OE type muffler Dynomax are performance type mufflers

In reply to # 3554613 by trevorwj Dynomax is Walker ... I have one on my car that is similar but it has been discontinued.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-07-19 08:37 AM by nonracer.

trevorwj Avatar
trevorwj Trevor Jessie
My oval muffler lays flat on my sprite because it is a 1/4 elliptical spring car. It would not fit flat on my Midget, and I'm not sure i'd like it hanging down.

I'm wondering if you might be better off with a round muffler and a small baffle in the exhaust tip.

trevorwj Avatar
trevorwj Trevor Jessie
Just looked on the magnaflow site. It does say "straight through" so it is not a chambered system. If the internal pipe is curved or just angled over I do not know. However, given that it is magnaflow, I suspect it is curved.

They do not have any multi-chamber options that are 1.75"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-07-19 09:37 AM by trevorwj.

1974MGMidget Avatar
1974MGMidget Silver Member Jack Orkin
Grayson, GA, USA   USA
Before getting set on a specific brand/style of muffler, why not just drive it to your local mom/pop and see what they can do for you. Some of those guys are wizards at pipe bending and can give suggestions on sound/performance. I did that and drove about 12 miles with just a header. When cruising its actually pretty quiet. Try to avoid stop lights, though! I got a round "turbo tube",12" long (also comes in 18" ) that fit nicely between spring and tank. I agree that a round unit will fit better and probably do what you want. Whats at the beginning of the exhaust is probably more impt. that whats at the end, anyway.

Yankeedriver Avatar
All sound advice (pun intended), thanks very much. I'll let you know whatever I find out and end up with.

Joel

Member Services:
Yankeedriver Avatar
So, as the DIY supercharger project is stalled pending the run of crank pulleys, I ordered the Magnaflow muffler discussed above. It is really nice. All stainless, very compact, and a neat balance of straight-through design and increased packing volume due to oval shape. As anticipated, its lowest point when installed will be virtually identical that of the OEM round muffler I've got.

I'll head down to the muffler shop to get them to bend up a 1.75" pipe to mirror the path of the OEM pipe. Then, I'll figure out hangers and which chrome tip will look best.

Magnaflow mufflers use lots of high-quality packing and generally sound very nice, so I'm eager to hear this setup.

Joel

Member Services:

Attachments:
Magnaflow 11123 dimensions.jpg    13.6 KB
Magnaflow 11123 dimensions.jpg

Magnaflow 11123(1).jpg    19.2 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
Magnaflow 11123(2).jpg    24.4 KB
Magnaflow 11123(3).jpg    23.3 KB
58custom Avatar
58custom Tom Crocker
Santa Clarita, SoCal, USA   USA
This thread is of particular interest to me. I'd love to lose the Vance & Hines horror show.

1969 MG Midget with Datsun A15/5 speed

1974MGMidget Avatar
1974MGMidget Silver Member Jack Orkin
Grayson, GA, USA   USA
Joel, make sure we see pictures and audio of the finished product. Looks very interesting!

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1973 MG MGB GT

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links