AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Yankeedriver Avatar
Yankeedriver Platinum AdvertiserAdvertiser Joel Young
Albuquerque, NM, USA   USA
Tom,

Well, stay tuned, as I'm hoping to get the pipe bent up, tack weld the muffler on, and figure out the hangers this week. I removed the OEM round can and held this Magnaflow in the space, and it fits perfectly. I couldn't hold it and the pipe up and take a picture, but you'll soon see.

Jack,

Count on it. It'll be pictures first, video with sound later, as I've got all the fluids out and hoses, exhaust, etc., disconnected so I can quickly yank the engine when the machinist calls for me to test-fit the prototype 5-rib serpentine crank pulley, and get the production run going same-day.

Incidentally, I'll be posting a new DIY project on my website when the pulleys are ready: an A-series serpentine belt conversion using either the new, smaller-profile Saturn alternator I'm using for the supercharger & EFI projects or the CS130-style folks have used up to now. They both come with 5-rib pulleys out of the box and just need clocking.

Joel

Member Services:
Innovative DIY performance and reliability upgrades.
Yankeedriver Avatar
Update: This afternoon I am heading to the local muffler shop to have them bend up the 1.75" intermediate pipe (header to muffler), which the owner said will cost $60. For the NM Spridgeteers, here is the shop: http://www.jims66mufflers.com/

So, custom exhaust will be ~$150 out the door including Magnaflow 11123 stainless muffler. Maybe a touch more with a chrome tip if I go that route. Photos manana if I can locate hangers that'll work.

Joel

Member Services:
66jalopy Avatar
66jalopy Silver Member Phillip Jolliffe
Lake City, FL, USA   USA
That's " mañana"

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Yankeedriver Avatar
In reply to # 3756265 by 66jalopy That's " mañana"

De veras, senor. No sabe como hacer el ene a la palabra en este programa.

Joel.

Member Services:
66jalopy Avatar
Lake City, FL, USA   USA
Señor, en iMac es, ALT n i después n. No se que programa tienes. On Android, hold letter you want to accent for 2 seconds and choice what you want. I don't do Windows.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-06-15 04:03 PM by 66jalopy.

refisk Rick Fisk
Frankenmuth, MI, USA   USA
"choice" what you want? Maybe you should do Window. devil smiley

In reply to # 3756309 by 66jalopy Señor, en iMac es, ALT n i después n. No se que programa tienes. On Android, hold letter you want to accent for 2 seconds and choice what you want. I don't do Windows.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
66jalopy Avatar
Lake City, FL, USA   USA
I spanked the spell check.

Yankeedriver Avatar
You guys are killin' me. How very cosmopolitan!

Anyway, a client emergency prevented me from driving into town to get the exhaust work done. Rats... but I did get things disassembled and marked up for next week!

Joel

Member Services:
1974MGMidget Avatar
1974MGMidget Silver Member Jack Orkin
Grayson, GA, USA   USA
Joel, a custom exhaust system should include hangers. My guy was able to use the original welded on nuts with hangers he provided.

Yankeedriver Avatar
In reply to # 3756793 by 1974MGMidget Joel, a custom exhaust system should include hangers. My guy was able to use the original welded on nuts with hangers he provided.

Hi, Jack.

Yes, I was thinking of using the existing hanger on the forward side of the rear axle arch, since that mount is in good shape and should take various kinds of hangers. I then want to put another, beefier mount at the aft end of the new muffler in place of the OEM hanger.

Since I now have a welder, I can bend up H. Depot steel rod and make a custom-length 'J' hook to attach to the output pipe just where it emerges from the muffler. I was thinking of using a Crown Vic hanger, which is cheap but pretty heavy duty (attached).

Joel

Member Services:

Attachments:
Crown Vic exhaust hanger.jpg    17.2 KB
Crown Vic exhaust hanger.jpg

58custom Avatar
58custom Tom Crocker
Santa Clarita, SoCal, USA   USA
I like this idea.

In reply to # 3756839 by Yankeedriver
In reply to # 3756793 by 1974MGMidget Joel, a custom exhaust system should include hangers. My guy was able to use the original welded on nuts with hangers he provided.

Hi, Jack.

Yes, I was thinking of using the existing hanger on the forward side of the rear axle arch, since that mount is in good shape and should take various kinds of hangers. I then want to put another, beefier mount at the aft end of the new muffler in place of the OEM hanger.

Since I now have a welder, I can bend up H. Depot steel rod and make a custom-length 'J' hook to attach to the output pipe just where it emerges from the muffler. I was thinking of using a Crown Vic hanger, which is cheap but pretty heavy duty (attached).

Joel

1969 MG Midget with Datsun A15/5 speed

Yankeedriver Avatar
In reply to # 3756901 by 58custom I like this idea.

Cool. Hope to get the intermediate pipe bent up tomorrow, and have some picts of the install next weekend (pulling engine today). I'm going to go with a slash-cut tip, both for the aesthetic and to help maintain the steeper driveway-exit angle. Found a source for what looks like a reasonably priced, high-quality tip: https://www.ebay.com/itm/171716414658

Joel

Member Services:
1974MGMidget Avatar
1974MGMidget Silver Member Jack Orkin
Grayson, GA, USA   USA
Joel, I didn't use the oem hanger, just the welded nuts. I'll try to take a picture tomorrow. It seems sort of like what you describe, but was off the shelf at the muffler shop. A flat strap wraps around a big rubber block with a hole in it. A bolt goes through the strap into the welded nut. A steel rod goes through the midde of the block and is welded to the top/side of the pipe. Its very sturdy. And, you get to play with your welder!

Yankeedriver Avatar
In reply to # 3757576 by 1974MGMidget Joel, I didn't use the oem hanger, just the welded nuts. I'll try to take a picture tomorrow. It seems sort of like what you describe, but was off the shelf at the muffler shop. A flat strap wraps around a big rubber block with a hole in it. A bolt goes through the strap into the welded nut. A steel rod goes through the midde of the block and is welded to the top/side of the pipe. Its very sturdy. And, you get to play with your welder!

Cool, I'd love to see what you did.

Joel

Member Services:
Yankeedriver Avatar
Got the local Route 66 muffler shop to bend up the 1.75" intermediate pipe. He got it pretty close (1st pic).

The pipe slips right into the Magnaflow (2nd pic). So, I'll just slot the inlet pipe on two sides for clamping.

The Maniflow LCB will j-u-s-t fit into the intermediate pipe if I slot and spread the latter slightly. Could weld it, but I like the ability to wiggle stuff around for R&Ring the engine, etc.

The chrome tip is en route. Should finish the exhaust up this weekend.

Joel

Member Services:

Attachments:
1.75 intermediate pipe (new vs old).jpg    38.4 KB
1.75 intermediate pipe (new vs old).jpg

Intermediate_muffler(1).jpg    28.6 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster