AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

christofini Avatar
christofini Chris H
East Grinstead, West Sussex, UK   GBR
1967 Austin-Healey Sprite "Wilson"
Hey!

I've been trying to figure out how to remove the horn button / horn assembly so I can tighten my steering wheel as it rattles above 1500 RPM.

Reading several topics on this, I believe my wheel and assembly isn't original. Others with a similar model year have the push and turn counterclockwise to remove horn button, while mine has an aluminum ring that can be pulled out with the button then falling out (see photo 1).

The second photo shows the assembly with the horn button removed. There are no screws around or behind the wheel, and I didn't want to pry it up in case it snaps.

Any ideas?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
IMG_20170416_151624.jpg    32.9 KB
IMG_20170416_151624.jpg

IMG_20170416_151539.jpg    28.7 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
66jalopy Avatar
66jalopy Silver Member Phillip Jolliffe
Lake City, FL, USA   USA
It's been a long time since I removed one of them. I'm pretty sure I just had to pull it out with my hands,

christofini Avatar
christofini Chris H
Hey Phillip, I tried pulling it out and eventually stuck a flat steel bar behind it to try and pry it out. The thing doesn't budge, however now my horn won't stop.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Banazz Harry Banazz
Saginaw, MI, USA   USA
Try turning it counterclockwise.

christofini Avatar
christofini Chris H
Tried turning it, it wiggles about 5mm but doesn't spin. I saw John Twist's video on removing the steering wheel, where he snaps it off without effort. He doesn't explain how it's meant to come off though.

66jalopy Avatar
66jalopy Silver Member Phillip Jolliffe
Lake City, FL, USA   USA
Try getting a little oil back there. I think it's just some clips, they may be rusty and not want to cam out.

christofini Avatar
christofini Chris H
Tried twisting and pulling a bit harder, ended up breaking it sad smiley

I can't find any info on this assembly on the web. Closest guess is a MGB from '71 onwards.

Attachments:
IMG_20170416_172435.jpg    32 KB
IMG_20170416_172435.jpg

200mph Avatar
200mph Platinum Member Mike Joy
Winston-Salem, NC, USA   USA
I can't tell you how to remove it, but I can help you hone in on where to look:

1967 Spridgets came with a 2-string "banjo" style wheel, similar to the 3-string wheel used on MGB's.

You appear to have a 1970 MG Midget wheel, with 5 hole spokes, unique in that the two upper spokes angle upward. Since this blocks your view of the gauges, BL made the spokes flat across beginning 1971 (Horler, p. 96).

1970 cars had a horn push on the end of the signal lever, so your wheel may have been modified to retain a center horn push.

The center "emblem" is not original... it would have been a Healey shield on black, as on earlier wheels.

"Have you ever thought... Everyone driving slower than your MG is a MORON, everyone driving faster must be a FREAKING IDIOT!". . . George Carlin

littlecars Avatar
littlecars David Bassett
Nashville, TN, USA   USA
1965 Chevrolet Corvair "Ski Team Transport SOLD!"
1965 MG Midget MkII "Buffoon"
1966 MG Midget MkII "Swiss Cheese"
1970 Triumph Spitfire MkIII "Tamara's Turd... SOLD!!!"    & more
Did you get your horn to stop blowing? There is nothing left on the steering column to break the circuit.

christofini Avatar
christofini Chris H
Thanks Mike, I ended up getting the center black plastic part out. It looks as if the rubber part is either part of the wheel, or glued to it (and I don't want to ruin it). The center piece is the emblem of Bilbao, where the car was first assembled and sold. The Austin Healey one and gearshift knob were replaced out which I find a shame, though I find it gives the car some character.

Good news is I found the horn connector that came loose and must've been grounding itself to something. Also explains why the horn didn't work before, and was on all the time after I messed with it.

Next step is tightening the steering nut, which will be awkward with the cable in the way (I found no way to remove it so far). The wheel has a maybe 5mm play to it, which I'm hoping would be fixed by tightening the nut.

Attachments:
IMG_20170419_173834.jpg    30.7 KB
IMG_20170419_173834.jpg

Ryan R Avatar
Oklahoma City, OK, USA   USA
Wow. that's some serious DPO engineering. Looks like there have been some serious shorts inside there, and clearly it's not effective at making the horn work. Plus, that ground is not really necessary, and seems like it would interfere with the steering wheel movement. The idea is that the connection between the horn push (fed by the purple/black wire) and the steering column completes the circuit.

I would also tell you that your issue with play in the wheel is less likely to be the steering wheel nut, and much more likely to be the bushings in the steering column or the pinch bolt where the column attaches to the steering rack. The bushings wear out (side to side movement) and the pinch bolt can loosen or wear (front to back movement).

If it were me, I would pull the whole steering column, and rebuild it. New bushes (felt or nylatron), tighten, bush, or shim the pinch bolt, and re-wire the horn push correctly. The purple/black wire can be removed after you pull the steering wheel. it's attached to a spring and plunger on the side of the wheel. I have mine pulled apart, so I can try to send a photo.

If you're interested, I have a banjo wheel (and I think a horn push and center emblem) from a 1966 Sprite that should fit. PM me if you're interested. The wheel needs some TLC, paint and epoxy, but it would be very serviceable.

If you're near Oklahoma City, come have breakfast:
www.BritishCarBreakfastClub.com/
https://www.facebook.com/groups/OBCBC/

Mglinkow Michael Glinkowski
Nashville, TN, USA   USA
Hi Ryan
If you still have the horn push for the 1966 Sprite steering wheel I am interested. I have a steering wheel but no horn push. These are hard to find these days.
Michael.

littlecars Avatar
littlecars David Bassett
Nashville, TN, USA   USA
1965 Chevrolet Corvair "Ski Team Transport SOLD!"
1965 MG Midget MkII "Buffoon"
1966 MG Midget MkII "Swiss Cheese"
1970 Triumph Spitfire MkIII "Tamara's Turd... SOLD!!!"    & more
Michael, I just pulled the wheel off of a junk 66 Midget yesterday. I'm considering going to an aftermarket wheel on my 65 and if so, the guts from this car should work for you. Just need a proper A-H center emblem. The center emblem looks to have been glued in at the factory. Are you a member of the Nashville Brit Car Club?

Mglinkow Michael Glinkowski
Nashville, TN, USA   USA
Yes, I’m the newest member of the NB club. I come to cars and coffee from time to time.
How much do you think you’d want for the horn push?

Ryan R Avatar
Oklahoma City, OK, USA   USA
Michael,

I still have the horn push, and a wheel. Need to find them all; some are up in the rafters. If you have one locally, no worries. If not, let me know so I can go hunt down the parts.

If you're near Oklahoma City, come have breakfast:
www.BritishCarBreakfastClub.com/
https://www.facebook.com/groups/OBCBC/

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster