Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

tater salad Avatar
tater salad Gold Member Todd Smith
Charlotte, NC, USA   USA
My 71 body is in the paint shop, good time to freshing up the motor my question is, and sorry but I stink at searches but
I have a Payen gasket for the oil pan, and rubber seals for the front and back of oil pan, do I need to soak the rubbers before I install the oil pan back on the block?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
66jalopy Avatar
66jalopy Silver Member Phillip Jolliffe
Lake City, FL, USA   USA
I have these, they worked great, no soaking. I would do it in warm shop though. Rubber is more pliable when warm.
Also, make sure the pan is flat on the bottom, people over tighten the bolts and deform the holes sometimes, If this happens you will need to tap them flush again, and use the oval washers.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-26 10:39 AM by 66jalopy.

tater salad Avatar
Charlotte, NC, USA   USA
It appears that either the rubbers are too long or the side gaskets are too long see pictures does the rubbers get trimmed and how or is the side gaskets get trimmed

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
image.jpeg    31 KB
image.jpeg

image.jpeg    31 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
66jalopy Avatar
66jalopy Silver Member Phillip Jolliffe
Lake City, FL, USA   USA
Put a little lubricant on it, it will compress down into the pan, do not trim.

tater salad Avatar
Charlotte, NC, USA   USA
Thank you Phillip

Speedracer Avatar
Speedracer Platinum Member Hap Waldrop
Greenville, SC, USA   USA
1967 MG MGB Racecar "The Biscuit"
That's normal, them sticking up like that, they will compress into place once the pan is tighten. Put a very thin smear of good RTV (I use Permatex Ultra Black) between the area where the rubber piece meets the pan on the exterior side, this wards off any leaks from that area. FWIW, Payen is only 1275 gasket set that comes with the two oil pan rubber pieces, so there's no need to ever buy any other lower gasket set than Payen for the 1275.

Hap Waldrop
Acme Speed Shop
864-370-3000
hapwaldrop@acmespeedshop.com

Member Services:
MG/ Triumph Performance Street/Race Engines - Cylinder Head Porting - Modified SU HS Carbs - DIY Engine Rebuild Kits With Free Tech Advice - VTO alloy wheels for British Sport Cars, and others
Mojan Mojan Norouzi
Fremont, CA, USA   USA
In reply to # 3419700 by Speedracer That's normal, them sticking up like that, they will compress into place once the pan is tighten. Put a very thin smear of good RTV (I use Permatex Ultra Black) between the area where the rubber piece meets the pan on the exterior side, this wards off any leaks from that area. FWIW, Payen is only 1275 gasket set that comes with the two oil pan rubber pieces, so there's no need to ever buy any other lower gasket set than Payen for the 1275.

Hi Hap,
Can you be more specific or point it on the picture where to put RTV?

Speedracer Avatar
Speedracer Platinum Member Hap Waldrop
Greenville, SC, USA   USA
1967 MG MGB Racecar "The Biscuit"
In reply to # 3715286 by Mojan
In reply to # 3419700 by Speedracer That's normal, them sticking up like that, they will compress into place once the pan is tighten. Put a very thin smear of good RTV (I use Permatex Ultra Black) between the area where the rubber piece meets the pan on the exterior side, this wards off any leaks from that area. FWIW, Payen is only 1275 gasket set that comes with the two oil pan rubber pieces, so there's no need to ever buy any other lower gasket set than Payen for the 1275.

Hi Hap,
Can you be more specific or point it on the picture where to put RTV?

I rub a very thin layer on the edge of the rubber piece where it faces outward, then wipe off the excess at where the pan and rubber meet. This is OCD thing I do to prevent any oil form working it's way under under the rubber piece and out of the pan/block.

Hap Waldrop
Acme Speed Shop
864-370-3000
hapwaldrop@acmespeedshop.com

Member Services:
MG/ Triumph Performance Street/Race Engines - Cylinder Head Porting - Modified SU HS Carbs - DIY Engine Rebuild Kits With Free Tech Advice - VTO alloy wheels for British Sport Cars, and others
SevenAmerica Avatar
SevenAmerica John Donohoe
Williamston, MI, USA   USA
I note the specific mention of Ultra Black RTV in this particular application -- can anyone outline simply, or point to recommendations of which types of RTVs or other sealers to use where, during engine assembly?

Thanks!

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster