Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Yankeedriver Avatar
Yankeedriver Platinum AdvertiserAdvertiser Joel Young
Albuquerque, NM, USA   USA
Finished and tested the Thien-style baffle made from Home Depot odds and ends. Using the HEPA filter they sell for the Rigid shop vac, this will prevent excess tungsten disulfide from getting into the atmosphere in the shop and ruining my lungs when I'm embedding it into the M45's rotor lobes. That gets done in the blasting cabinet, in which there is mild negative pressure thanks to the Thien baffle feeding the shop vac.

I poured various kinds of dust into a pile, including some super fine stuff from MDF and a little ash from the fireplace, hooked it up to the shop vac, and... wow. zero dust made it out of the baffle and into the shop vac canister. That teensy bit you see was what I couldn't shake out onto the garage floor due to the lip on the canister before the test. Never clean a filter again! (Also nifty for running my wood shop tools.)

Prices on rebuilt blowers have gotten ridiculous (though they tend to go on sale now and then). So, I'm planning on offering a full rebuild service as part of the kit price, including the tungsten disulfide coating--far superior to OEM teflon in that it isn't a coating, but actually permeates the aluminum rotors' surfaces. I'm fairly sure I'll be able to do this for considerably less than the commercial outfits, but with both the upgraded coating and high-end gear drive connector I used (pictured in earlier posts of the nose cone rebuild).

Tomorrow, if time permits, I'm hoping to weld up the belt adjuster. The steel 'T-slot' nuts that'll provide the adjustment came in (finally) and fit the angle iron perfectly.

Joel

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-05-12 07:34 PM by Yankeedriver.

Member Services:
Innovative DIY performance and reliability upgrades.

Attachments:
Thien_baffle(1).jpg    49.5 KB
Thien_baffle(1).jpg

Thien_baffle(2).jpg    21.3 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
Thien_baffle(3).jpg    48.9 KB
Thien_baffle_test(1).jpg    36.3 KB
Thien_baffle_test(2).jpg    39.1 KB
T-slot nut.jpg    24.2 KB
Yankeedriver Avatar
Had to run a jack hammer much of the day, but grabbed a few minutes to weld the 'J'-shaped mount to the angle iron. You can't see the long weld on the back, but it runs the length of the overlapping portion of the J and angle iron, then turns the corner and goes 90 degrees up into the angle iron's crotch. The new welder has no problem penetrating the 3/16" steel, so it should be durable. In looking at the clearance for the snout, it's a bit biased toward inboard, so when I have the 'J' pieces water jet cut, I'll move the cutout for the snout 1/2" outboard.

I've got the little angle-iron brackets clamped in place to do a final pulley alignment check. Turned out that the shim washer between the alternator and water pump wasn't needed. Removing it yielded near-perfect alignment with the supercharger. Trying to decide whether to weld on the little 'L' brackets that bolt to the supercharger's ears, or to bolt them to the front mount to allow for a little slop.

Next weekend the wife's traveling, so maybe I'll get the chance to finish up the mounts. Then I can shift over to wrapping up the intake plumbing and boost gauge.

Joel

Member Services:

Attachments:
Front mount_final alignment(2).jpg    44.7 KB
Front mount_final alignment(2).jpg

Front mount_final alignment(1).jpg    51.6 KB
Front mount_final alignment(3).jpg    44.2 KB
Yankeedriver Avatar
Alllll righteee then. Finished the mounts, shown here outside the car, then installed. End up using some pewter paint I had lying around. I'm waiting for the sun to go down, so it's cool enough to leave the dog in the car and pick up fasteners--but looks like I'm done! I'll post pics with the adjuster bolted up later on, assuming I make it down there before they close.

Also tried routing the OEM Cobalt oil cooler hoses to put the cooler itself horizontally below the radiator spanning the frame rails, so as to leave the nose uncluttered with the intercooler... and it works! I will shorten one hose and may change the end to a 90-degree. Also one of the 45s should be changed to a straight-shot, but not absolutely necessary. Simple aluminum bar mounts with countersinks. Filter still comes right out of the hole I've always used to extract it from below. Pretty cool.

**Update: got a PM about the fifth picture. Sorry - that's the intercooler you see coming up in a vertical orientation. It sits about 1/2" or so in front of the radiator and hides behind the OEM grill (additional pics attached).

I also test-fitted the horns up under the hood-latch cross-piece of sheet metal (whatever that's called), and they'll fit fine without interfering with the cable operation. Should be considerably louder than stock, as they'll aim straight through the grill and down toward the pavement on the same plane as the sheet metal, but they're protected from spray as they're up in there a bit. Really excited about that tucked-away situation plus better sound projection.

Finally, designed a thermo-housing spacer that will accommodate a GM-style temp sensor for those going EFI or who want a copacetic electric fan sensor instead of one of those lousy shoved-through-the-fins jobs like I had for a while. Anyway, this accomplishes two things: (i) allows the OEM gauge sender to remain where it always was; and (ii) lifts the housing sufficiently to make the conversion work for either vertical flow (as my car originally was) or cross-flow cars. On the former, the upper hose curves right around the adjuster bolt and jam nut. So R&Ring a belt, alternator, water pump, etc., is easy-peasy.

The spacer will be 6061-T6 aluminum 1x3" bar, with the appropriate inset on top for the thermostat. Should be neat. It'll come with the vertical flow kit but will be optional on the cross-flow.

Oh - and I put the OEM-style cross-flow pipe that transfers water over in there, and this conversion won't disturb that or require modification to it.

Joel

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-05-20 08:19 PM by Yankeedriver.

Member Services:

Attachments:
finished_supercharger_mounts(1).jpg    30.2 KB
finished_supercharger_mounts(1).jpg

finished_supercharger_mounts(2).jpg    44.6 KB
horizontal_oil_cooler(3).jpg    54.2 KB
horizontal_oil_cooler(2).jpg    38.9 KB
horizontal_oil_cooler(1).jpg    61.6 KB
H2O_sensor_cross-flow.jpg    39.8 KB
H2O_sensor_vertical_flow.jpg    39.9 KB
Intercooler installation (9).jpg    37.7 KB
Intercooler installation (11).jpg    47.9 KB
Sprite1956 Roger Parry-Jones
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia   AUS
Joel,

You do great work! Any time for writing anymore?

Roger

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Yankeedriver Avatar
In reply to # 3740088 by Sprite1956 Joel,

You do great work! Any time for writing anymore?

Roger

Thanks, Roger. Just waiting on the crank pulleys (machinist in and out of hospital for months), will then knock out a few minor odds and ends, and then should be able to put the intercooled supercharger kits up for sale.

I've been too busy flying back and forth to Pennsylvania and working 60-hour weeks for the past ~ 3-1/2 years to do much fiction writing. But those knuckleheads finally settled and if things go well in the new war I just started, I may be retiring at the end of 2019 or maybe 2020. I then hope to divide my time 50/50% between Spridgeting and working one of the novels in the cue. It's either a work of historical fiction based on my late uncle's experiences in the Pacific Theater in WWII, or "The Hinge of Fate," the middle book in a sci-fi trilogy I've wanted to write ever since I stumbled upon a never-before-discovered secret while doing research at the archives for the (400+ year-old) apothecary at the Jesuit college in Lima, Peru... but no spoilers. Short version? Dan Brown, eat your heart out; this is for real and what I uncovered is just stunning. I wrote 8 or 9 chapters I think before the insanity began in PA ~ 3 years ago, but still have my notes from the archives. So, I'll get to it sooner or later!

Hope all is well Down Under.

Joel

Member Services:
Sprite1956 Roger Parry-Jones
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia   AUS
Joel,

I wish you well in your endeavours and look forward to reading your revelations sometime, but not before you complete the present project (which I am following with interest)! I too had a great Uncle who fought in the Pacific theatre during the 2nd WW, mainly in Papua New Guinea and a girlfriend had a father who was a cine and still cameraman covering the whole Asian theatre. He had some harrowing experiences!

All is well 'Down Under', despite Winter making itself present at last. The AHSDC held a celebration on Sunday of the 60th Anniversary of the launch of the Sprite on May 20th 1958. I caught up with good friends made 40 years ago when I first joined. It's surprising how many old blokes are still with us. Spridgeting seems to keep us young. Luckily, I'm only 19...

Cheers!

Roger

Yankeedriver Avatar
In reply to # 3741583 by Sprite1956 Joel,

I wish you well in your endeavours and look forward to reading your revelations sometime, but not before you complete the present project (which I am following with interest)! I too had a great Uncle who fought in the Pacific theatre during the 2nd WW, mainly in Papua New Guinea and a girlfriend had a father who was a cine and still cameraman covering the whole Asian theatre. He had some harrowing experiences!

All is well 'Down Under', despite Winter making itself present at last. The AHSDC held a celebration on Sunday of the 60th Anniversary of the launch of the Sprite on May 20th 1958. I caught up with good friends made 40 years ago when I first joined. It's surprising how many old blokes are still with us. Spridgeting seems to keep us young. Luckily, I'm only 19...

Cheers!

Roger

Thanks, Roger.

Nope - I won't be diverting from this project until it's done. In fact, I bumped into my machinist today, and he said he thinks he'll be well enough to meet with me this week to sign the contract for the crank pulleys. So, it'll then just be a matter of slotting my little run in between his Sandia Labs and industry jobs. Can't wait to slip the pulley on, do final measurements for the serpentine belt, and tighten up the tensioner!

P.S. I'm getting extra pulleys made for people who are doing a different supercharger setup (my 6061 aluminum pulley will be cheaper than Moss's and has five ribs instead of four), or those who just want a serpentine belt on their naturally aspirated car.

**Update: just got back from signing the contract for the crank pulleys. Tooling is coming in from Israel and two U.S. cities, so we're in the cue for mid-June if all goes well. In the interim, I'll finish up the intake plumbing and boost gauge, make sure there's clearance for the single HIF44 on the Minispares manifold, and seal up the carb to run on boost.

Joel

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-05-23 12:38 PM by Yankeedriver.

Member Services:
. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster