Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

1974MGMidget Avatar
1974MGMidget Silver Member Jack Orkin
Grayson, GA, USA   USA
Rather than paint that pretty piece, just hold a rag with some polish on it with the engine running and shine that sucker up!
Will the crank pulley have an integral damper?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Yankeedriver Avatar
Yankeedriver Platinum AdvertiserAdvertiser Joel Young
Albuquerque, NM, USA   USA
In reply to # 3679174 by mster50 You'd think belts would not be that difficult. There is a lot there, good job.

Mike,

Yup, deceptively challenging. But the nut of it has been trying to arrive at a system that incorporates all the best attributes: a single belt, the least expensive setup, a system that requires no extensive fabrication and only common hand tools. Then there's the (in my opinion) barely adequate and over-priced Moss pulleys--the only ones available right now.

What I've done is work with Smooth Flow to design and market a 5-rib (Moss's is 4-rib) A-series H2O pulley for much less money, and designed my own 5-rib crank pulley, again for substantially less money and featuring superior machining, frankly (lots of machine chatter and sharp ribs, etc., on the existing option). The idler pulleys I've found are > $30 for the pair, and the belt something like $18. The last piece of the puzzle--desirable but not absolutely necessary--is a spring tensioner, which I hope to tackle today or next weekend, as the Subaru dealer stripped my Outback's drain plug, so a 30-minute job turned into a 2-hour job with trips to town for an aftermarket plug...

Joel

Member Services:
Innovative DIY performance and reliability upgrades.
Yankeedriver Avatar
In reply to # 3679224 by 1974MGMidget Rather than paint that pretty piece, just hold a rag with some polish on it with the engine running and shine that sucker up!
Will the crank pulley have an integral damper?

Jack,

Yes, that's certainly an option! I may end up doing that, but then one has to police the finish, as bare aluminum will start oxidizing instantly... we'll see. Hmmm... maybe I could clear-coat it...? cool smiley

Oh, sorry - no dampener. None of the aftermarket aluminum crank pulleys I've seen have them, and the auto machine shop I've chosen to do the bottom-end machining for my forthcoming rebuild say in their experience they don't do much. This is especially true where an engine is properly balanced, they tell me.

Joel

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-02-11 01:30 PM by Yankeedriver.

Member Services:
1974MGMidget Avatar
1974MGMidget Silver Member Jack Orkin
Grayson, GA, USA   USA
Oh, sorry - no dampener. None of the aftermarket aluminum crank pulleys I've seen have them, and the auto machine shop I've chosen to do the bottom-end machining for my forthcoming rebuild say in their experience they don't do much. This is especially true where an engine is properly balanced, they tell me.

Interesting. Well, there is another custom piece for you - an aluminum crank pulley for V-belt for future rebuilds!

Denis Avatar
Denis Denis Hill
Bearii, Nth Victoria, Australia   AUS
Joel I am of the opinion that a balancer is not as necessary with the supercharger. When you think about it a harmonic balance is there to dampen out "twist" harmonics in the length of the crankshaft. due to the front cylinders twisting the crank on the power stroke where the back cylinder hardly at all. All the drive load is from the rear of the crank and the damper weight is there to relieve these oscillations. On the SC engine the driving load of the blower, both boosted and un boosted, is from the front of the crank, acting the same as, and probably even better than a damper.
Denis

68 B roadster, Daffodil yellow, supercharger, Burgess SC head, SC cam, Mikuni HSR 48 carburetor and engine built for supercharging.

73 BGT V8 conversion starting with a bare shell. Built the engine early in 2016 with high comp pistons and a few other nice bits. Started on the body late 2016 and found Its a lot of work and expense starting from scratch. Did the work myself, mechanical, body. paint etc all except the interior trim.
Finished and going well, great to drive and quick. Future mods, maybe an increase in gearing but not for a while.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Yankeedriver Avatar
In reply to # 3679611 by Denis Joel I am of the opinion that a balancer is not as necessary with the supercharger. When you think about it a harmonic balance is there to dampen out "twist" harmonics in the length of the crankshaft. due to the front cylinders twisting the crank on the power stroke where the back cylinder hardly at all. All the drive load is from the rear of the crank and the damper weight is there to relieve these oscillations. On the SC engine the driving load of the blower, both boosted and un boosted, is from the front of the crank, acting the same as, and probably even better than a damper.
Denis

Denis,

Fascinating. Well, that would explain why the aftermarket pulley-makers don't typically include them--assuming they did the analysis you've done. Regardless, it makes sense to me. As I may have said, my machinist is in the hospital, so we're in limbo on the crank pulleys until that situation works itself out--I hope in a positive way.

Joel

Member Services:

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster