Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Crystal RX 350 Avatar
Seattle, WA, USA   USA
Hi Chris,

Just got this piece in the mail today. Do you want a pair?

Hopefully, I will have sometime this week to make few parts.

Mike

75' MG Midget
78' MG Midget

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-05-31 01:23 PM by Crystal RX 350.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
20160531_105702.jpg    50.1 KB
20160531_105702.jpg

20160531_105654.jpg    51.5 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
20160531_105728.jpg    25.3 KB
20160531_105711.jpg    38.5 KB
Motomorrelli Avatar
Motomorrelli Chris Morrell
Daytona Beach, FL, USA   USA
What do they run?...

Crystal RX 350 Avatar
Seattle, WA, USA   USA
With this mold, I have 2 options which is either fiberglass or plastic. If it is fiberglass, then it will be a hollow piece. However, If I make it with plastic then the part will be in solid. I am thinking about each piece will have 2 screws/bolts in the back to attach to that area.

What do you think?

Mike

75' MG Midget
78' MG Midget

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
ice Avatar
ice Gold Member Larry Ice
Lawrenceville, GA, USA   USA
Mike, it looks nice! Hope you find a market with those that are looking to remove the rubber bumpers. My choice if I were going to use it would be fiberglass easier to blend in with the body panels I would think. Doesn't really matter I suppose if you are going to provide a way to screw it on.
Whatever you deem as a reasonable for the cost it will prob be cheaper than one could make it himself. Owners sometimes forget how much mods really cost. By the itme you bought fiberglass, resin, hardner and cloth even a simple part gets expensive. Now all those that wanted a source of a panel to hide removal of rubber bumpers have a part to install.

Iceman

Atlanta GA

60 AH MK1
62 AH MKII
67 Midget
71 Midget

Crystal RX 350 Avatar
Seattle, WA, USA   USA
Hi Larry,

Thanks for your info. I do this as a hobby and therefore, will be helping other 1500's owner who wants these pieces. I don't think I will make money out of this mold as I will pass the cost of making these pieces + a porting of mold cost so I can get it back.

here is the picture of that piece with the screws that someone has done. Basically, 2 screws will be welded onto the metal strip, then it will submerse into fiberglass or plastic material.

Mike

75' MG Midget
78' MG Midget

Attachments:
filler pieces.jpg    62.5 KB
filler pieces.jpg

ice Avatar
Mike, looks good!
Only thing I would suggest is three bolts rather than two. Two top bolts would help locate it evenly from side to side. Might be a good idea to come up with a gasket to make the new piece look like it came with the car as OEM finish. Another plus is a gasket would keep most of the water out of the area.
One thing you might find with these cars is not every one is exactly alike and you might find one car your part fits perfectly while the next is slightly off. No way to avoid that!

Iceman

Atlanta GA

60 AH MK1
62 AH MKII
67 Midget
71 Midget

Crystal RX 350 Avatar
Seattle, WA, USA   USA
Hi Larry,

Thanks for the input. The intent of this piece is to fill up the empty space under the tail lights on those 1500. Owners put this in place, then they will have to bondo these pieces so they look like part of the body. I don't think these pieces will look good just to bolt them to the back.

Mike

75' MG Midget
78' MG Midget

ice Avatar
Mike, are the molds slightly under size so you can blend them into the body panels with fiberglass?

Iceman

Atlanta GA

60 AH MK1
62 AH MKII
67 Midget
71 Midget

Crystal RX 350 Avatar
Seattle, WA, USA   USA
Hi Larry,

The mold is made base on the foam piece I created myself, tested on my car. As I look at my car, both sides are slightly different in sizes depending on how the tail light is mounted. Anyway, these pieces can be sanded down in need be.

Thanks,
Mike

75' MG Midget
78' MG Midget

Attachments:
20151224_151441_resized.jpg    16.6 KB
20151224_151441_resized.jpg

20151224_151427_resized.jpg    19 KB
20151224_151132_resized.jpg    15.7 KB
S1 Elan Kurt. Appley
Akron, Ia., USA   USA
Wow, I'm curious as h about the molds! What are they made of, and how were they made?? I would think that the cost of metal molds would be quite high.

Kurt.

Crystal RX 350 Avatar
Seattle, WA, USA   USA
Hi Kurt,

Originally, I want it to be in hard metal. My friend said with the thing I am going to use, he will make it out of aluminum for me. He wants to make it for injection mold and I told him I can't do injection.

Here are few pictures of original design and final.

Mike

75' MG Midget
78' MG Midget

Attachments:
mold design 1.JPG    22.5 KB
mold design 1.JPG

Mold design.JPG    21.8 KB
mold design 3.JPG    33.1 KB
Motomorrelli Avatar
I thought they got cut out & welded. My vote would be hollow and glass them in for a seamless look

Crystal RX 350 Avatar
Seattle, WA, USA   USA
Fiber glass then. Do you want a pair Chris?

Mike

75' MG Midget
78' MG Midget

Motomorrelli Avatar
Yes Mike that'd be great.

Crystal RX 350 Avatar
Seattle, WA, USA   USA
Went to the store late last night and bought bolts and nuts. One step closer to be ready for making these pieces.

Mike

75' MG Midget
78' MG Midget

Attachments:
20160602_063352.jpg    31.7 KB
20160602_063352.jpg

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster