AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

midget73 Avatar
midget73 Dwayne M
Knoxville, TN, USA   USA
1971 Mercedes-Benz W114
1972 MG Midget MkIII "Rhett"
1996 BMW Z3 "Miss Scarlett"
That front lip sits on the inside of my windshield edge and not like your picture shows. If it's a new weatherstrip in the front, it will be tight so don't modify that that latch. You'll regret it later. BTW paint looks great inside,nice and bright.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
77Midget Avatar
77Midget Y.. Lee
western, USA   USA
1977 MG Midget 1500 "Some Friend"
1998 Lincoln Mark Lt "Mark VIII"
2002 Subaru Forester "Suba Too"
2006 Honda Civic "Civic"    & more
Thank you the suggestions.

Wayne,
A new latch base would be ideal, but although i have a great local machine shop, they are very pricey. If someone lets me do the work at their shop, it may be reasonable. I will try some thin extension strips for now. I am planning to rivet them so i have a relatively flat surface on the windshield/top side.

Dwayne,
Thank you, The paint really worked out well.

This a dry fit (no weatherstrip) and we are still too far apart.
I the top of my windshield is "flat" front to back and the top is also. So, it will not be lower if it is further forward.
I tried fitting the top further forward and it peaked out too far. So I decide to try and make the inside edges relatively seamless.

Y.

77Midget Avatar
77Midget Y.. Lee
western, USA   USA
Hello All,
Just a quick update.

I took the top along with the seals and the old Plexiglas to a local glass shop.
They suggested that I go with 1/4" tempered glass
They also the offered to install the window.

The total change is under $100.

I will post pictures when its ready.

Y.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
77Midget Avatar
77Midget Y.. Lee
western, USA   USA
Hello All,
I just got a call from the shop saying that they can not put in tempered glass since the window is bent.
They suggest using Lexan Plexiglas.

Has anyone used tempered glass?
Should I go ahead with Lexan Plexiglas?

Any other gotcha's i need to watch out for?

Y.

refisk Avatar
refisk Rick Fisk
Frankenmuth, MI, USA   USA
Lexan and Plexiglas are two different types of plastic. I would recommend you use Lexan. It bends easily without cracking and is what is used for windshields in a lot of race cars. Very tough stuff.

Plexiglas is good for little cubes with flowers in them. smileys with beer

In reply to # 3213750 by 77Midget Hello All,
I just got a call from the shop saying that they can not put in tempered glass since the window is bent.
They suggest using Lexan Plexiglas.

Has anyone used tempered glass?
Should I go ahead with Lexan Plexiglas?

Any other gotcha's i need to watch out for?

Y.

77Midget Avatar
77Midget Y.. Lee
western, USA   USA
Thanks Rick,
The installer said Lexan.

Y.

77Midget Avatar
77Midget Y.. Lee
western, USA   USA
hello All,
I have been looking for images of Midget Snugtop hardtops to compare to mine.

and mine:

In comparison, it looks like the sides of my window opening are curved...
is this normal?

Y.

Wayne Burner Avatar
Chester, NH, USA   USA
Y. That curved glass, is not a good sign, sorry for your loss, just send it to me, and I will dispose of it properly :>winking smiley

77Midget Avatar
77Midget Y.. Lee
western, USA   USA
In reply to # 3218943 by Wayne Burner Y. That curved glass, is not a good sign, sorry for your loss, just send it to me, and I will dispose of it properly :>winking smiley

Thanks Wayne,
I'm asking because the i cannot get it to come together well enough to put in new glass.
If it should not be curved at the edges, I know someone who could extend the fiberglass.

Ideas?

Y.

Wayne Burner Avatar
Chester, NH, USA   USA
If it is not supposed to be curved, I would make some sort of brace, to bring it back to where it should be, and leave it for a month or two. A few 2x4's and some threaded rod, washers and nuts. Ask your fiberglass guy, if he thinks that would work? Once it is back in shape, the glass will hold it straight, I would think. How well does it fit on the rear edge, when it's on the car, is the bottom lip bowed out? Is it curved because of the way it was stored, if that's the case, the braces will bring it back, eventually :>winking smiley
Let us know what your outcome is. Good luck. You may have to go with Lexan, instead of glass. You can bend Lexan with heat, to what ever shape you want, but usually, not the first try.

77Midget Avatar
77Midget Y.. Lee
western, USA   USA
Thanks Wayne,

That was my plan.
I am still looking for anyone who has one of these to confirm that the edges are/are not curved.

Thanks,

Y.

littlecars Avatar
littlecars David Bassett
Nashville, TN, USA   USA
1965 Chevrolet Corvair "Ski Team Transport SOLD!"
1965 MG Midget MkII "Buffoon"
1966 MG Midget MkII "Swiss Cheese...SCRAPPED"
1970 Triumph Spitfire MkIII "Tamara's Turd... SOLD!!!"    & more
Okay I've been on/off the forum for a few months and just now starting to get regular feeds from MGE when new replies come to topics that interest me.

I just sold a SNUG top like the first few photos of your grouping. Every Midget top I'be seen, touched, removed or salvaged has had flat rear glass or Lexan. Is there a chance over the decades someone widened the opening on yours to where it reaches out to the curved area of a standard SNUG? Are we sure this top is for a Midget?

77Midget Avatar
77Midget Y.. Lee
western, USA   USA
Thank you David,
I got this top about 4-5 years ago from someone who was parting out his 77 midget.
He is the one who removed the old "glass." He gave me the old scratched glass and the old hardened Gasket.

I was able to match-up the gasket, but when i took everything into the glass shop they said that the curvature of the glass was a problem. They suggested Lexan, but also were worried about the gasket turning a compound corner. (along both plains: around the glass and bending back at the same time). See above.

I have fitted the top on the car and its close, though not perfect from the back.

So to answer your questions:
No, i'm not sure, but i am confident this is for a 1500 midget.
It is possible the opening was widened by a PO.

I will talk to my fiberglass guy and see what he suggests.

Y.

Richb Richard Ball
Everett, Wa, USA   USA
Hey Y.

I'm a little late jumping in here, but I'm not sure your top is a Snugtop. I think your may actually be a Royal Coachman made by Dynaplastic. Take a look at this thread from MGE:

http://www.mgexp.com/phorum/read.php?3,2361152

The Snugtops I have seen (including mine) all have a flat pane of glass (actual glass) that is set into the rear panel of the top slightly while yours looks like it is more flush. Also, the width of the rear glass on a Snugtop is a bit narrower with more pronounced fiberglass corners. If you look back at your post (#37) with the pictures of the different tops, the third picture is more like your top while the others are Snugtops. It looks to me like the door window openings at a bit different also between the two tops with the upper drip edge being a bit wider on the rear before it curves down along the back edge. These observations may be wrong, but it's just how it looks to me.

As for your latches. If what you have does not seem to be working you might look for some adjustable toggle latches like these from Pegasus Racing. I don't know if they are what the factory used, but its what mine has.

https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/productdetails.asp?RecId=779&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=3045&utm_source=google&utm_medium=paid_search&utm_campaign=paid_search_google_pla&scid=scplp11658198&gclid=CIO_wJjxyMsCFQdqfgodL9IIzw

Let me know if I can take any measurements for you off of mine. Here are a few shots of mine that you might find useful. Don't mind the dirt, our Midget gets year round use and it's been wet this year.

Rich

Rich Ball
'76 Midget
Everett, WA

Attachments:
IMG_3648.JPG    51.1 KB
IMG_3648.JPG

IMG_3649.JPG    29.8 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
IMG_3650.JPG    48.7 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
77Midget Avatar
77Midget Y.. Lee
western, USA   USA
Thank you Rich,
these pictures really help.

Mine may be a coachman, but mine came with one latch and it was just like the one in your picture.

The only difference form yours is the curvature of the rear and as has been suggested above, that could be due to poor storage.

I just cam back from seeing my friend who does fiberglass and he said that we should be able to put in Lexan without too many issues and that it would be much easier to work with if i mounted the top to the car.

Once it is on the car, I will make sure that everything is aligned or bend it into shape.

He told me to order the Lenax and he would would help me fit it and at worst, we would need a heat gun to curve the edges.

Tank you all,

Y.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster