johnnyw637 Avatar
johnnyw637 Silver Member John Warner
Norwich, Norfolk, UK   GBR
1960 Morris Minor Traveller "Boris 2"
1964 MG Midget MkI "Flying Midge"
1964 MG Midget MkI
Sadly that kicks ours into touch Rick,

What an absolute beauty.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Sarge101st Avatar
Sarge101st Silver Member Brian S
Carlisle, PA, USA   USA
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Biggles"
1979 MG Midget 1500 "Grrr"
1980 MG MGB "Piddles"
In reply to # 3752789 by refisk I went to a Cars and Coffee meet this morning in Prospect, Kentucky. A guy drove up in this. 1930 Bugatti Type 35B. Woohoo!

Oh, Rick I'm having a crisis!

Although if I'm honest I'd have a Bentley Blower if I had my choice.

Which, of course, I don't.

Oh, my...

healey36 Avatar
healey36 Paul Raith
Westminster, MD, USA   USA
Have to have some serious stones to drive that in...you sure his Escalade/trailer combination wasn't parked around the block? Either way, something one doesn't encounter on a regular basis...bully for him!

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Sarge101st Avatar
Carlisle, PA, USA   USA
1980 MG MGB "Piddles"
Here you go, Johnny.

The weather held off today so out with both Piddles and Grrr today. Mentally uplifting.

I also spent the day working on a tech project, which looks promising. I have quite a number of the interesting episodes of "Wheeler Dealer" saved on the company DVR, such as TVRs, Frogeye, Spit, Moggie Traveller, &c. the older Edd China numbers.

If its a car I'm interested in, I've kept the episide but with the notion of figuring out how to burn them to DVD. I'm bach'ing this week so unfettered access to telly, DVR, &c. Got it figured I think, so in production so I can watch them at leisure when the Lady of the Manor goes binge watching the Estrogen Channel or the Young Squire takes surly possession.

Attachments:
image.jpeg    38.5 KB
image.jpeg

refisk Rick Fisk
Frankenmuth, MI, USA   USA
I talked to the owner for quite a while. This is no trailer queen. It's covered in dirt and oil and bug splats. 88 years of patina. smileys with beer

https://youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=TT9ZlsjGgac

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-06-09 06:10 PM by refisk.

healey36 Avatar
healey36 Paul Raith
Westminster, MD, USA   USA
In reply to # 3752868 by refisk I talked to the owner for quite a while. This is no trailer queen. It's covered in dirt and oil and bug splats. 88 years of patina. smileys with beer

My hat's off to him...he's driving while the Sprite's still stuffed in the back of the garage awaiting reinstall of the aft S.U.

SapitoPR Avatar
SapitoPR Jorge Olazagasti
San Juan, PR, USA   USA
In reply to # 3752788 by johnnyw637 Brian,

In answer to your question, yes I guess the barnacle would take some contact adhesive to hold it on ( "Good thinking Robin" ).
Also would be good to see your tax disc holder from the other side.

All the best Johnny

The photo shows a tax disk holder on a 39 ( i believe ) local MG PA, which is very logical for that era. However how were these permits displayed on later cars? Meaning 60's, 70's and 80's. Pardon my ignorance but it seems to me that pouch or the permit could easily be removed/ stolen and transferred to another unauthorized vehicle if not permanently adhered to the car. Ever since i can remember our permits were adhered to the back plates and later, to this date, on the lower right side of the windscreen, Both were unremovable and have to be scraped in pieces every year with a single edge blade and holder, before the new one is installed
Jorge

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-06-09 07:38 PM by SapitoPR.

Attachments:
IMG_0180.jpg    45.7 KB
IMG_0180.jpg

johnnyw637 Avatar
1964 MG Midget MkI
Interesting question Jorge,

The tax holder you show, is what would be classed as motorcycle disc holder. Believe that they were used on early cars possibly until the 1950s. Some people would continue using that type, but the majority of people used the type Brian is using ( work like cling film, just stick no adhesive and can be used and reused as this old Ford dealer one of mine from the 60s).

No one worried about tax discs being stolen as particular to a vehicle, so as long as you reported it you hoped you were in the clear. Though that said I never remember hearing of o e being stolen.

Every dealer sold you a car with a tax disc and most likely with one of their own holders, giving their contact details. Insurance companies also gave you one in the hope that you would advertise their product (probably the rearest ones these days, till classic car insurance companies cotton on to this), as did a host of other companies such as oil and petroleum.

I am pleased you asked Jorge.

Brian, I love your para disc holder, so appropriate and it will have years of stick left in it, my Ford one probably has 15 or 20 odd more years service and still clinging on smiling smiley

I have also included the last year we displayed tax discs, same type of plastic used for decades.

Rick thanks for the YouTube link fantastic

All the best Johnny

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-06-10 04:23 AM by johnnyw637.

Attachments:
20180610_100603.jpg    50.4 KB
20180610_100603.jpg

20180610_100624.jpg    58 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
20180610_100718.jpg    42.1 KB
20180610_100738.jpg    33.6 KB
20180610_101033.jpg    30 KB
20180610_100921.jpg    35.4 KB
Colonel musturd 79 Avatar
Colonel musturd 79 Michael McKinney
Winchester, VA, USA   USA
1978 MG Midget 1500 "Colonel Mustard"
1987 Pontiac Fiero "SILVER BULLET"
In reply to # 3752789 by refisk I went to a Cars and Coffee meet this morning in Prospect, Kentucky. A guy drove up in this. 1930 Bugatti Type 35B. Woohoo!

That my friend is not a car, IT IS A WORK OF ART!

Amore della Strada
For the love of the road

Sarge101st Avatar
Carlisle, PA, USA   USA
1980 MG MGB "Piddles"
Jorge;

A little more for comparison:

A tax disc is really comparible to the registration card most states issue and you keep in your glovebox or clipped to the visor in America. Both really are nothing more than proof you paid your fees for the year, and really both are pretty proof from being stolen and used with a different car.

Its potentially even more difficult in the UK because the reg plate stays with the car through its life (unlike when a car sells in the US or moves from state to state). In both cases the disc or registration card are ID'd to both the reg plate and the car itself, have individual serial number for each document, &c.

Many states, PA for example, are doing away with the sticker on the plate that corresponds with the registration card itself, but the card is the important document; only difference is you displayed the disc on the windscreen in the UK (so it performed the sticker function, also) and you produced it on demand in the US; "May I see your licence and registration, please?"

Make sense?

SapitoPR Avatar
San Juan, PR, USA   USA
Just got my Master in tax disks, as clear as pure water!thumbs up

johnnyw637 Avatar
1964 MG Midget MkI
Dear Dr Olazagasti,

The British Tax disc University are very pleased to award you your PhD.

And would welcome you on our Post 2015 course, Monitoring car use by number plate alone , blue posts on the carriage way and online database tracking.

SapitoPR Avatar
San Juan, PR, USA   USA
It's really an honor and a privilege. I humbly accept the award and job which will be discharged with great pride and enthusiasm!smiling bouncing smiley

Colonel musturd 79 Avatar
Colonel musturd 79 Michael McKinney
Winchester, VA, USA   USA
1978 MG Midget 1500 "Colonel Mustard"
1987 Pontiac Fiero "SILVER BULLET"
One more wrinkle in the Tax Disc/Sticker Saga, In Virginia prior to the mid 70's the cars owner would be issued a metal tag or plate to attach to the registration plate this was issued by the local gov. body after that they stopped the metal tag/plate and issued a sticker that was attached to the windshield, and now the sticker is being stopped in many locals but you still have to pay the tax.

Amore della Strada
For the love of the road

Sarge101st Avatar
Carlisle, PA, USA   USA
1980 MG MGB "Piddles"
Today saw fair skies and a visit from Paul to discuss books, eat burgers, and go for a turn round the short Circuit in Piddles with Paul at the camera.

3868- The intrepid (or was it decrepit) Lads sally forth into the Great Unknown.
3869- Along the R/C airplane aerodrome
3871- A splash of Faerie Piss er I mean petrol
3872- The true test of the cooling system in any MG, the traffic womble and alternating flow. In this case the flow interrupted completely by the desire to fill stone into both sides of a trench at the same go.
3873- And we're off again.

Attachments:
IMG_3868.JPG    68.1 KB
IMG_3868.JPG

IMG_3869.JPG    62.9 KB
IMG_3871.JPG    55.1 KB
IMG_3872.JPG    58.5 KB
IMG_3873.JPG    63 KB

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1969 MG Midget MkIII

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links