AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Sarge101st Avatar
Sarge101st Silver Member Brian S
Carlisle, PA, USA   USA
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Biggles"
1979 MG Midget 1500 "Grrr"
1980 MG MGB "Piddles"
Oh, its wonderful! I use it on everything!

Food just isn't food without cheese and ketchup!

smoking smiley

#notmycondiment

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
johnnyw637 Avatar
johnnyw637 Silver Member John Warner
Norwich, Norfolk, UK   GBR
1960 Morris Minor Traveller "Norbert Style (Nobby The Moggy"
1964 MG Midget MkI "Flying Midge"
1964 MG Midget MkI
In reply to # 3737574 by healey36 Is ketchup/catsup a forbidden condiment? Sorry, one of the four basic food groups at my place, along with all-beef hot dogs, ice cream, and donuts...grinning smiley

It's a premier requirement to a good egg and chips Paul, my all time favourite meal (I am cheap to run, some would simply say cheap smiling smiley ).

Our good friend, however, seems to feel it is the sauce of the devil. Though his good lady wife has much better taste ( well at least in condiments, men the juries still out on).

All the best Johnny

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-05-17 11:19 AM by johnnyw637.

healey36 Avatar
healey36 Paul Raith
Westminster, MD, USA   USA
In reply to # 3737710 by johnnyw637 ...it is the sauce of the devil.

Sorry, missed all of that from prior posts.

Sixth straight day with rainfall here, with four or five forecasted to follow. Feeling a bit biblical. Wiper-motor gave up on the Beetle...taking a look at that today.

Where's the sun? This ain't Norfolk...

Paul

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Sarge101st Avatar
Carlisle, PA, USA   USA
1980 MG MGB "Piddles"
Johnny is right, my wife does put catsup on everything, even eggs.

Its not that I don't like catsup; it would be like saying I don't like air or water, which is just as tasty.

Johnny says my wife has better taste in condiments, and might want to rephrase that a bit since I much prefer HP and Colmans to Heinz and French's. I like my condiments like I like my beer; each should contribute something like, oh I don't know, an actual flavour?

I live in culinery hell, for everything is pushed here with cheese and catsup, unless you go all expensive in your restaurant experiences, though even the best and priciest still have that dam Heinz bottle lurking very close to hand, ready to be magically produced at a moments notice.

The place where we get burgers is brilliant; very close to the workshop and they know me so I can actually get a burger cooked to taste, no dam cheese or rabbit food, and the Heinz bottle is conveniently placed on Paul's side of the table when he joins me.

Now, its not quite useless. Mixed with a dollop of horseradish, something to dip my shrimp...

Otherwise, like American beer, it begs the question, "Why"?

smoking smiley

healey36 Avatar
healey36 Paul Raith
In reply to # 3737758 by Sarge101st
Otherwise, like American beer, it begs the question, "Why"?

The same can be said for American cheese (despite the fact that I can enjoy a bit atop a patty). We Americans prefer ours pasteurized, effectively removing all semblance of what the rest of the world classifies as "cheese". After all, a sizable portion of the U. S. enjoys "cheese" dispensed from an aerosol can. That said, I do prefer mine without, as Eric Idle once said about Australian table-wine, "the bouguet of an aborigine's armpit".

Off to build the ark...

johnnyw637 Avatar
1964 MG Midget MkI
Paul.

After you've finished the ark, you must tell us more about the Beetle.

Brian mate, I'm not a fan of brown sauce (HP, Daddies etc), Anne likes them if that's of any help, but like Donna I'm with Heinz TK on my fried egg yolks smileys with beer.
I don't even mind that it's produced in Arsenal colours only. I believe it is already established that Paul is a gentleman of culture, fine standing and good taste so it's nice to see that he enjoys the sweet taste of the beautiful red sauce that took it's originator 57 varieties of tomato until he found the perfect formula.

All the best Johnny

Sarge101st Avatar
Carlisle, PA, USA   USA
1980 MG MGB "Piddles"
To be uncharacteristic in my take on it all, its a good thing. A boring world it would be if we all liked the very same things.

Imagine if everyone supported the same FC? You wouldn't even have games then; how dreadful would that be?

smoking smiley

johnnyw637 Avatar
1964 MG Midget MkI
With your wise words Brian,

I will now get back to my strict Healey diet and concentrate on one of the main food groups Dr Healey recommends.

Attachments:
20180517_185415.jpg    17.8 KB
20180517_185415.jpg

Sarge101st Avatar
Carlisle, PA, USA   USA
1980 MG MGB "Piddles"
In reply to # 3737574 by healey36 <snip>...ketchup/catsup (is) one of the four basic food groups at my place, along with all-beef hot dogs, ice cream, and donuts...grinning smiley

I submit that the good Dr. Healey does arguably suffer from a rather narrow view of the Four Food Groups. Here at Dungfield, they are Sugar, Fat, Salt, and Starch.

The proper Donut (and not those laughably miserable pathetic excuses foisted upon the civilised world by southerners called "Krispy-Kreme" ) contains all the Food Groups in one handy portable container, and is therefore by definition one of the Perfect Foods.

healey36 Avatar
healey36 Paul Raith
In reply to # 3737942 by Sarge101st I submit that the good Dr. Healey does arguably suffer from a rather narrow view of the Four Food Groups.
I prefer to think that the list has been honed over many years of careful consideration and experimentation.

Brings to mind the time the wife brought home a gross of rice-cakes as a snacking comestible. Was roughly, and I do mean roughly, the equivalent of eating the packing material out of an Amazon box. They did have one advantage...when the inevitable time came to head for the lavatory, one could clean up with a whisk-broom.

Not much rain today...must be in the eye of the storm. Radar shows tumult all round. I am supposed to deliver a presentation for a tour of Manassas tomorrow, but I may pass...can't seem to find der schnorkel for the BMW.

P.S. What is that, John? Looks like a squirt of whipped cream in a hot-dog roll...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-05-17 02:12 PM by healey36.

jimbvd Platinum Member Jim Bravard
Hopkinsville, Ky., USA   USA
Brian, your description of Krispy Kreme may be accurate or may not be, depending upon whose taste buds are involved, but the Yanks came out with a very similar product, ie. Dunkin'Donuts. And it only took them 13 years after the origination of Krispy Kreme to follow suit. devil smiley
Paraphrasing what you said earlier, Different Strokes for different folks! smiling smiley jim

In reply to # 3737942 by Sarge101st
In reply to # 3737574 by healey36 <snip>...ketchup/catsup (is) one of the four basic food groups at my place, along with all-beef hot dogs, ice cream, and donuts...grinning smiley

I submit that the good Dr. Healey does arguably suffer from a rather narrow view of the Four Food Groups. Here at Dungfield, they are Sugar, Fat, Salt, and Starch.

The proper Donut (and not those laughably miserable pathetic excuses foisted upon the civilised world by southerners called "Krispy-Kreme" ) contains all the Food Groups in one handy portable container, and is therefore by definition one of the Perfect Foods.

Sarge101st Avatar
Carlisle, PA, USA   USA
1980 MG MGB "Piddles"
Ah, Jim, they are nothing like each other, mate. Grin!

(Warning, Johnny! The great American Doughnut Debate commences!)

The yeast doughnut is merely air covered in sugar. The vastly superior cake doughnut has substance, flavour, and heft.

Of course now, everyone has to get cute with designer clever-donuts, and the lines between southern yeast and northern cake doughnuts has gotten fuzzy as Dunkin' carries both now.

If memory serves, doughnuts are a helluva lot older than you let on though, sorry, they originally did come from the North. Long before the North Carolinians decided the main ingredient should be air, the Dutch in New Amsterdam (renamed New York) had olykoeks, probably the first North American doughnut. Not long after the War of American Independence the term appeared in written record in the new United States.

Tribalism aside, you are absolutely right, to each is own. I do have to say I thank my lucky stars we are finally getting a store here after many aborted tries, and I personally am well chuffed its a Dunkin' Donuts rather than Krispy-Kreme. Its been a very hard-fought battle; in the meantime even a dam Starbucks got in.

Get me started on Starbucks. I dare ya!

Way hey! winking smiley

johnnyw637 Avatar
1964 MG Midget MkI
Paul mate,
I am holding in my hand a fresh cream doughnut.
Jam doughnuts are round, fresh cream hotdog shaped with a small amount of strawberry jam and fresh whipped cream.

However, I have now moved on to Dr Bravards yeast and malt diet smiling smiley

All the best Johnny

Attachments:
20180517_223946.jpg    36.4 KB
20180517_223946.jpg

20180517_210931.jpg    50.1 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
20180517_195839.jpg    83.4 KB
20180517_195855.jpg    83.5 KB
20180517_195912.jpg    46.4 KB
20180517_211319.jpg    52.3 KB
20180517_223908.jpg    69.7 KB
20180517_224016.jpg    82.8 KB
Brian, as this started more or less with "A boring world it would be if we all liked the very same thing" and ended with the similar statement "Different Strokes for different folks", had "...vastly superior cake doughnuts..." and "...depending on whose taste buds are involved" in the middle and no mention of which "tribe" started anything there appears to be no "... Great American Doughnut Debate" commencing. Seems on most parts, we agree, and on the parts we don't, hopefully agree to disagree. jim

Johnny, is that a stout! Looks delicious! Nice pictures of your Moggy. You've done a fine job on the woodwork. jim

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster