AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Sarge101st Avatar
Sarge101st Silver Member Brian S
Carlisle, PA, USA   USA
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Biggles"
1979 MG Midget 1500 "Grrr"
1980 MG MGB "Piddles"
In reply to # 3734293 by jimbvd One of these days, I plan to rebuild my SUs and replace the Weber with them, Johnny.I sourced all the parts a couple of years ago. Did you get a complete rebuild kit plus jets? jim

Tony, do you have a picture of the '30s Willy's?

Jim, my man!

If you've got the bits, well perhaps I can encourage you to crack on with it?

Ulterior motive being possibly able to talk you out of the Weber (bold of me I know. Grin!) once you pull it off.

I have one on the workbench right now that was going to be my spare. You know how that works; refresh it and shelve it until one of the cars needs done. Then I pull the fresh one down, slap it on, then rebuild the one that came off "for stock".

Problem with that is, lately it seems every time I get that extra one I end up with another car. This one now is headed for the Spit. Grin!

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
sam-i-am Avatar
sam-i-am Sam L
Caledonia, Wisconsin, USA   USA
Hi All,

While on vacation I stumbled upon a great road for making sure your steering wheel goes lock to lock, and the views not bad either. Highway 89A between Sedona AZ and Flagstaff AZ. It's a 20 mile route that has a strong resemblance to the "Dragons Tail". Being on vacation the best I could do was to pretend my rental SUV was my Sprite. With both hands on the wheel and my wife beating my shoulder and yelling SLOW DOWN!!!, I got no pictures. So if anyone makes it to this area I recommend HWY 89A for some twisty fun!

Sam.

johnnyw637 Avatar
johnnyw637 Silver Member John Warner
Norwich, Norfolk, UK   GBR
1960 Morris Minor Traveller "Norbert Style (Nobby The Moggy"
1964 MG Midget MkI "Flying Midge"
1964 MG Midget MkI
In reply to # 3734382 by healey36 Argh...no fixing that, mate...it's back to the catalog for another replacement!

What cha mean, bit of super glue and some gorilla tape, she'll be as good as new.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
johnnyw637 Avatar
1964 MG Midget MkI
Sam,

Love to see some shots and don't worry about a non Spridget getting into shot, I'm the biggest offender on that score. Since starting this thread some great guy's have come along along with yarns about anything and everything.
My only regret is putting, 'a Midget,' in the title.
Used to think Spridget would have been better,
Now I don't care as long as the drivers enjoying it,
why I even be happy for an MX5 to turn up smiling smiley

And guys I'm saying this without going in the Flying Midget, well nearly smiling smiley

johnnyw637 Avatar
1964 MG Midget MkI
Jim,

Chill take ya time with those SU bits

winking smiley

tonyhawker Mahlon Hawker
Lorton, VA, USA   USA
1922 Ford Model T
1925 Ford Model T
1927 Ford Model TT "Henrietta"
1931 Ford Model A    & more
Well, I'm back, sorta.

My big hard drive took a dump and erased EVERYTHING, even blew the backup! So I am now reconstituting my programs and bookmarks from memory. Still fighting Verizon to accept my blasted password, AGAIN! Then I can download my Thundertird mail.

I have some pics of the Willys Knight on my cell but without my old email listings I can't send them out. Aint it nice not to be bothered by the Hawk? Until I get the password problem fixed, again, can't receive email.

Back to the yardwork.

Hawk

jimbvd Platinum Member Jim Bravard
Hopkinsville, Ky., USA   USA
Brian, I have been saying since I got the parts I was going to put them in during winter. Trouble is, our winters still offer reasonable driving weather. I imagine it will be after I retire next year that I'll get to it. Then I'll have the time to devote to doing a proper job of it. I understand your concern, good to have a backup. When I post about getting the SUs installed, remind me of your interest in the Weber. I'll probably remember, but you know, old age forgetfulness and all that. smiling smiley

Johnny, I planned to buy the kit and new jets. I imagine I'll still do that. I think I'll skip the part about using butter during assembly, though. devil smiley

Tony, you can send pictures to the forum, as well as text, for that matter, from your phone. My cell is my only internet connection. I use the mobile MGE app. jim

Sarge101st Avatar
Carlisle, PA, USA   USA
1980 MG MGB "Piddles"
Hawk;

If you can send email out, give me a call and I'll give you my address again. Then email the photos and I'll post them for you.

Jim:

In reply to # 3734775 by jimbvd Brian, I have been saying since I got the parts I was going to put them in during winter. Trouble is, our winters still offer reasonable driving weather. I imagine it will be after I retire next year that I'll get to it. Then I'll have the time to devote to doing a proper job of it. I understand your concern, good to have a backup. When I post about getting the SUs installed, remind me of your interest in the Weber. I'll probably remember, but you know, old age forgetfulness and all that. smiling smiley

Its not a case of being worried so much as being lasy. If I have one to just change out, I can redo the tired one at leisure with the car already running again; fiddle with the dingus for a while then go for a drive to calm the nerves. They really are quite reliable and easy to maintain, yet you still can get to everything if it does go wrong for some reason. I'm happy enough with them just for the reliability and robustness if nothing else.

Back in the day when we used to put them on pretty commonly, I learned that (many who vilify them will argue against this one) a well-formed manifold was the more important consideration. The stock one for the Stromberg was as horrid as the carb itself (I admit a loathing that keeps me pretty unobjective about them. Grin!). SUs have a lovely short straight run: can't beat that. I'm afraid that many people who find a Weber painful might not have a well-formed manifold with nice broad radii and a little roughness inside to keep things a little turbulent. There are some seriously shitty ones out there.

How we used to argue about the best manifold back then; not the best carb but the best manifold. Heretically, I think the joy of the twin SU is not the carbs themselves but the little short straight manifolds. You could piss down those and get a good burn. When we built rallye cars, paired side-draughts like the Weber DCOE had the same advantage, just more mist generated (by lots!). In that time though, four-pot Volvos were popular, and paired SU was certainly good enough for them to breathe nicely in stock-ish form. There was an old rule of thumb that said an engine benefited first by a good look at more breath in and a complimentary look at more breath out; nicer intake coupled with nice exhaust. No idea whether that is commonly held anymore, but we believed it then and got good result thinking that way.

A single DCOE on a little four pot engine sounds good, and folks use them. The manifold is the biter on these, because the straight flow out the sidedraught carb dumps into a radiused manifold, and the flow down to the four ports isn't equal unless its a very clever manifold design. Here's where an argument over beers in the evening can ensue, for the flow from a downdraught DGAV can be made turbulent in a pot below the mount on a nice manifold, then brought down broad radii that can start further from the ports because you don't have to make room for the carb like you would a single sidedraught. Nice manifold and its a good rig, really.

That ZS rig that I said I was biased against and not objective about, I can't look at one without having to resist the urge to tear it out just for being ugly and horrid and going against everything we thought we ever knew (and of course all this could be totally "wrong" as "wisdom" changes with the years.) The manifold has huge runs parallel to the head, tight radius turns into the ports, just makes my skin crawl looking at it. Its all squashed just to make room for the uselessly huge carb and even more uselessly huge tin-hat that is the aircleaner. Jesus wept, and no wonder.

Did it really make a rat on a production car driven like most were driven and by most owners who were Sunday afternoon leafpeekers looking for an excuse to wear a tweed flathat, back in the day (which is a lovely way to spend a sunny afternoon; that's when the Lady of the Manor and I enjoy an almost-stock Piddles the MGB)? Your call on that one.winking smiley

johnnyw637 Avatar
1964 MG Midget MkI
Think that the manifold debate is still running Brian,
Certainly lots of adverts over here for performance bespoke manifolds.

The beauty of a later Mk1 is you know that the manifold and exhaust is already inadequate as it's designed for the earlier smaller engine and therefore too narrow a bore. So sod that, except and drive or do the easy fix get a Mk2.

Spoke to my go to guy about the SU bits, ended up getting the odd extra such as new piston springs and rear seat belts for the Traveller ( thought by phoning rather than popping over I'd avoid the kid in the candy store bit .. But ....).

Anyway seeing the broken bit and thinking well I might as well clean it up some more, lead me into the house with dirty bits of car, whilst Anne was otherwise engaged sorting her mum outsmiling smiley.
Think I'll stay quiet about this one winking smiley

All the best Johnny

Attachments:
20180512_174119.jpg    42.1 KB
20180512_174119.jpg

20180512_174135.jpg    29.2 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
20180512_174255.jpg    44.9 KB
20180512_175130.jpg    30.4 KB
20180512_175151.jpg    41.7 KB
20180512_185549.jpg    45.2 KB
tonyhawker Mahlon Hawker
Lorton, VA, USA   USA
1922 Ford Model T
1925 Ford Model T
1927 Ford Model TT "Henrietta"
1931 Ford Model A    & more
I'm with you 1000% on the 1500 plumbing. When I first opened the hood on Pee Wee over in Warrenton the first thing that hit me was that awful toilet bowl carb setting on a manifold apparently using copper plumbing bits as patterns. The air cleaner looked like something Rube Goldberg would design. And that excuse for an exhaust manifold with the cesspool hanging on it just had to go! Never mind that the engine was frozen. The rest had to go!

Just got back from the vet with Simone.......$800 to tell me she had gas!

A broke Hawk

Chas 906 Avatar
Chas 906 Chuck Peterson
Iron Mountain, MI, USA   USA
1961 MG Midget MkI "Little Red Rider"
Yup, I feel your pain Hawk. Brought Pearl in for her 8 week puppy shots. $125 later, they say she should be back in a month for more vacs! Vets and dentists are the pits!!!

healey36 Avatar
healey36 Paul Raith
Westminster, MD, USA   USA
The pasta’s going to taste funny next time around, John...

johnnyw637 Avatar
1964 MG Midget MkI
In reply to # 3735197 by healey36 The pasta’s going to taste funny next time around, John...

What the eye doesn't see, the mind thinks they've changed the recipe winking smiley

Past these beautiful Beezas today.
Oh yes and received my St George's Day photo.

All the best Johnny

Attachments:
20180513_131936.jpg    92.7 KB
20180513_131936.jpg

20180513_131943.jpg    88.1 KB
IMG_0201.JPG    29.2 KB
IMG_0434.JPG    35.5 KB
Sarge101st Avatar
Carlisle, PA, USA   USA
1980 MG MGB "Piddles"
Ah, Johnny me son, I love a good Beeser!

Its been rainy and stormy since Friday night, and last I looked supposed to be that way through Sunday. Oddly, though, the sun actually came out this afternoon, dried out the roads, and gave a chance of all three cars going 'round the Circuit. Good behaviour was exhibited by all, which was a plus.

So, a few pictures; the forecourt of the workshop, a great whacking azalea bush, and some scenes along the way shot from Piddles, as the clouds built back up for the next round of "infantry sunshine"...

Attachments:
IMG_2009.JPG    67.4 KB
IMG_2009.JPG

IMG_2008.JPG    83.9 KB
IMG_2004.JPG    24 KB
IMG_2002.JPG    42.3 KB
IMG_2007.JPG    30 KB
IMG_2006.JPG    32.3 KB
IMG_2000.JPG    40.3 KB
IMG_1998.JPG    41.7 KB
johnnyw637 Avatar
1964 MG Midget MkI
Brian me old troutand toolbox,

Thought you'd like the old BSA work horses,
They made me hanker after that Bantam I've been thinking about getting since I was 18 even more.

That's a stunning bush.

Yesterday must have been an ideal one for B's as I saw a brace enjoying the perfect road through Sherwood Forest, as we returned to the East coast having taken Anne's Mum back up North.

Hope you enjoy the 1954 Ariel Six Fifty combo and the Pather (made in Cleckheaton W. Yorkshire) along with the perfect old school roadside caf' (Ollerton, Nottinghamshire).

Attachments:
20180514_124214.jpg    84.5 KB
20180514_124214.jpg

20180514_124151.jpg    96.7 KB
20180514_124300.jpg    66.2 KB
20180514_124316.jpg    73.4 KB
20180514_124308.jpg    73.5 KB
20180514_124227.jpg    83.2 KB
20180514_124208.jpg    81.1 KB
20180514_124203.jpg    64.8 KB

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster