AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Colonel musturd 79 Avatar
Colonel musturd 79 Michael McKinney
Winchester, VA, USA   USA
1978 MG Midget 1500 "Colonel Mustard"
1987 Pontiac Fiero "SILVER BULLET"
I have found that when dealing with the Colonel that it works out better when done sober and clear headed. Now when the task is completed I have been known to have a Margareta Or Pina-Colada or two on the back patio while I admire my handy work!

Amore della Strada
For the love of the road

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Sarge101st Avatar
Sarge101st Silver Member Brian S
Carlisle, PA, USA   USA
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Biggles"
1979 MG Midget 1500 "Grrr"
1980 MG MGB "Piddles"
Yesterday was the first day in forever I could open the workshop, turn off the heaters, and work in shirtsleeves.

Cracked out Biggles and went chasing the intermittent flat spot under load. I hate intermittent nonsense.

You really crack into it at say 60mph going up a hill and it goes power-less. No ignition light, not they are a great diagnostic tool. Then power sputteringly and magically returns. Flog it in the twisty bits at lower speeds and no worries, just at the top end and loaded, say going up a hill.

Usually the old wisdom holds sway, "90% of carb issues are electrical." The electrics check out and the gut says starvation.

Right off the bat, I am no lover of Strombergs and the mechanical pumps on these things. The new direct replacement pumps often seem barely able to keep up or are just crap, and the auto-choke Stromberg is an unreliable manure-spreader of a carb. It's already had two float-valves since I've owned the car.

I'm also wondering whether the float is either holed or sticking, but the circumstances are always the same. It cuts out under load going fast in a straight line; I'm hung up on a top-end starvation situation (perhaps too hung up).

The rear fuel filter was pretty manky, so through the whole fuel delivery system, changed them both on the way. I'll pull the floatbowl apart today to see what has transpired since last time I changed the valve. Once the whole system has been gone through, though, if there is no joy found that loathesome stickstirrer pump is getting changed out for an electric in the boot and that carb is at serious risk of becoming one with the skip.

That's when I'll find the ground-fault I missed when I ran the electrics for the umpteenth time. Grin!

johnnyw637 Avatar
johnnyw637 Silver Member John Warner
Norwich, Norfolk, UK   GBR
1960 Morris Minor Traveller "Norbert Style (Nobby The Moggy"
1964 MG Midget MkI "Flying Midge"
1964 MG Midget MkI
Have you checked the HT system in complete darkness Brian?
Also is it worth changing the condenser incase it's miss behaving when hot, alternatively is the coil on its way out?

Just the thoughts of a desparado weekend mechanic, trying to tell a guy who knows his stuff what to dowinking smiley

By the way I found this beauty in the local garden centre today ( well near it ).

All the best Johnny

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
20180413_181148.jpg    44.5 KB
20180413_181148.jpg

20180413_181304.jpg    46.1 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
20180413_181551.jpg    60.7 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
healey36 Avatar
healey36 Paul Raith
Westminster, MD, USA   USA
Nothing as ambitious as that here today...just a simple oil/filter change on the nine year-old Saturn Vue (Vauxhall Antara for those in the old country). I'm going to jinx myself, but this thing has been remarkably bullet-proof (excepting the tire-pressure monitoring system, which seems to be routinely on the fritz). Top loading filter canister keeps the lying-on-cardboard to a minimum. We start off easy...things get progressively uglier as one works his way through the fleet.

The Saturn packs an LE5 2.4L I4, supposedly developed for GM by Lotus Engineering (perhaps that's what the LE stands for) over in Hethel, not too far from you, John. This thing pushes out 169hp at 6,200rpm, just a bit shy of the M52 2.5L I6 in the BMW (187hp at 6,000rpm).

Of course none of that compares to the 65hp cranked out at 6,000rpm by the mill in the Sprite...1275cc A-series...thank God it's a half-ton lighter than that Saturn...

Was a good day for puttering in the garage...not much accomplished, but still a good day. Probably take the shears to that lilac bush tomorrow...

Paul

Edit :: What's that, a '58 Chevy Belair, a long way from home...very nice, but I wouldn't want to be pumping UK Hi-Test into that bad-boy...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-04-13 02:48 PM by healey36.

johnnyw637 Avatar
1964 MG Midget MkI
Very good Detective Healey.

1958 Chevy indeed, probably came over with some ex Martin B-26 Marauder pilot from Station 114 or some such.

As you are so good I'll let you still the 114 connection smiling smiley

All the best Johnny

I think it is a 58 Impala.Too much chrome for a Belair.

Amore della Strada
For the love of the road

Sarge101st Avatar
Carlisle, PA, USA   USA
1980 MG MGB "Piddles"
Its all part of the waking process, me son.

So, I can now say I've been through the fuel system end for end, reset the float level, cleaned it all, cleared it all.

So, you are thinking exactly where I'm going now, because it just became be-guess and be-golly work.

I had changed out plugs, cap, and rotor back Christmas-time, and I thought I had a set of HT leads. Can't find them, though. Usually, after earths, its the little low-voltage things, the little wires into distributor, &c.

The fuel system exercise seems to have cured the starving bits, but there is more to it. Now, the behaviours are becoming more obvious as we fix this and that; like many intermittant behaviours, its turning out it isn't one fault causing the whole thing.

Now, the intermittent stumbly-death bit starts in about half an hour into a good thrash. No pattern anymore as to load, RPM, speed. Clutch it out and let off the throttle and it might just go to idle because it recovers. If it doesn't and it dies, the ignition light comes on religiously, so there is power and earth in the main.

Now we start replacing HT bits, leads, coil, and (my personal suspect) the electronic ignition unit itself, and work our way to the distributor. If it was electro-mechanical, I could wrap my brain around it. That mysterious electronic ignition thing is just a little box of magic to me. It is probably the original to the car though, so can't complain too much, now can I?

Chewing away at it a foible at a time. We're getting there. Not that many bits to the car, so everything shovelled out and changed as I go forward is a reliability thing if it isn't the cause. Electrics are guesswork once I get past earths, broken wires, and smoky melty bits.

Meanwhile, at least for the moment I'm off the fuel system. If I have to go back to it, though, it will be much more radical than merely servicing and cleaning...

healey36 Avatar
healey36 Paul Raith
Westminster, MD, USA   USA
In reply to # 3716165 by johnnyw637 As you are so good I'll let you still the 114 connection smiling smiley

...and so we go full circle...Station 114, Hethel, current site of Lotus Engineering UK.

You could very well be correct, Mike...could never keep those straight. When The Old Man remarried in 1961 his bride brought a '58 Bel Air into the family...he immediately traded it in on a jet-black '61 Ford Sunliner...probably the nicest car he ever owned. Later he went rogue on Buicks, lol.

johnnyw637 Avatar
1964 MG Midget MkI
Detective inspector Healey,

Me thinks you are right with RAF Hethel.
As for the Imparla or Bel air, sorry I've just driven back from up North and can't remember what the guy (who was called Guy) said, he's going to try and do the St George's run so if I see him I'll ask.

Brian mate, you sound in the same boat as Jim. I can however, now guarantee it's not your condenser/capasitor.
My money is on the rotor arm being faulty.

Cheers Johnny

Attachments:
20180413_233344.jpg    40.1 KB
20180413_233344.jpg

Sarge101st Avatar
Carlisle, PA, USA   USA
1980 MG MGB "Piddles"
I did change the rotor when I changed the cap; when you do one you might as well do both.

Anyway, sausages on the forecourt this evening, and the season begins!

Albeit a little haltingly....

Way hey,

johnnyw637 Avatar
1964 MG Midget MkI
Well that shows what I know,

Unless of course it has a fault or it's not red, has to be red for electronic ignition.

Enjoy the bangers, I can smell the luscious woodsmoke mixed with burning fat smiling smiley

Sarge101st Avatar
Carlisle, PA, USA   USA
1980 MG MGB "Piddles"
You're alright, mate. Grin!

I suspect that damn chromium coloured coil; bit to bling for my tastes.

Never trust chrome bits in an engine bay. Probably fine for an American muscle car or an Escalade, but in a lBritish sportscar that's just weird.

I am very suspicious of either that or the magic ignition box.

Sarge, I thought every gear head worth his salt knew "chrome wont get yow home" Here is hoping that the coil is the problem. Mike

Amore della Strada
For the love of the road

johnnyw637 Avatar
1964 MG Midget MkI
That Mr T gold chain,

Gave your bling passion away to me Brian smiling smiley

Sarge101st Avatar
Carlisle, PA, USA   USA
1980 MG MGB "Piddles"
Mike

I actually never heard that one (and I love it). I guess its from my not ever hanging around in the mainstream, more 70's era local racer and rallye guy culture. We had the story of the license exam question:

a) chromium

b) podium

Select one

Johnny, me son.

I have no idea what anyone was thinking. All the black and dark tuscan red and kinda dusty and flat; like you would expect a non-pretentious engine bay to look in an old true sportscar. Then, in the upper nearside corner of the firewall is this bright shiny chromium coil. Its very jarring; what was someone thinking?

I guess its the difference between a driving car and (stealing a term from Allan Clark) a piece of showfield "male costume jewelry".

Since I'm replacing things in kind, working or not, the dam thing has to go regardless. I think I shall mount it on a nice plaque or a plinth and post it to someone who deserves to start each day basking in the brilliance of its magnificence. Grin!

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster