The Perfect Road to Drive a Midget

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

jimbvd Platinum Member Jim Bravard
Hopkinsville, Ky., USA   USA
Johnny, that looks delicious! However, cow pie is synonymous with cow patty in my neck of the woods. Nowhere near as appetizing. We do have people here who hunt for the mind expanding schrooms underneath.

You are making me hungry... and thirsty. ☺

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-02-13 08:58 PM by jimbvd.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Sarge101st Avatar
Sarge101st Silver Member Brian S
Carlisle, PA, USA   USA
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Biggles"
1979 MG Midget 1500 "Grrr"
1980 MG MGB "Piddles"
As Biggles is awoken on a frosty morning for the Dawn Patrol...

Actually for the annual Fasnacht run. Here in the hotbed of Lutheranism that is South-Central Pennsylvania, the local Lutheran church makes the real deal, sold on Shrove Tuesday.

None of this supermarket substitutes or other half-arsed versions, these are truly the gift to all mankind from the Lutherans.

Swede is quite interested.

Now, Biggles and I are heading up to Jacks to see about fuel delivery or die on the side of the road trying...

Attachments:
image.jpeg    30.3 KB
image.jpeg

image.jpeg    33.7 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
johnnyw637 Avatar
johnnyw637 Silver Member John Warner
Norwich, Norfolk, UK   GBR
1960 Morris Minor Traveller "Norbert Style (Nobby The Moggy"
1964 MG Midget MkI "Flying Midge"
1964 MG Midget MkI
Must admit Brian,
That looks a tasty bit of health food in that box.

Paul the green epicurial delight is a wonderful Northern English dish called mushy peas.

Jim your dish sounds most interesting. Cow pie however, is really an invention of a Scottish children's comic book artist from Dundee in Scotland who did a character called, Desperate Dan ( he appeared in The Dandy). Desperate Dan was always eating these massive cow pies with horns sticking through the crust.

Now to serious matters, no pub photos today but at shot of a ridge called, Cat Bells, which as you may well know is part of the pilgrimage trail for National Brian Day. Being a sacred site it is only accessible by foot, though the foothills are accessible through the blessed waters of Lake Bryan via a diesel ferry.

All the best Johnny

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
20180213_130616.jpg    30.2 KB
20180213_130616.jpg

jimbvd Platinum Member Jim Bravard
Hopkinsville, Ky., USA   USA
Very peaceful looking, and not a cow pie in sight.

That cow pie really did look delicious, as do your box of goodies, Brian. A good English ale to wash it down and we'd be set.

Sarge101st Avatar
Carlisle, PA, USA   USA
1980 MG MGB "Piddles"
Johnny me son. A lovely scene in that photo. Well done!

So, brain trust pretty much has narrowed it all down to exceeding the ability of the pump to supply fuel at the very peak of demand, so a nice electric pusher pump is on the list to replace the suspect mechanical suction pump. Its pretty new too, but it just doesn't have the poop* to keep up.

So, on the way home a detour to Gettysburg to indulge in that Anglican tradition of the Shrove Tuesday Pancake Breakfast, cooked by Church Ladies. Yep, in that American cradle of Lutheranism, there actually is an Anglican parish. Who'd believe it!

On the way in I almost got run over by some twit in a big Toyota pickup truck. Didn't see me coming I guess and made a left out of the college parking lot onto the street alongside me. My horn didn't make a sound, not even a sound like a nose blowing, so he had to be satisfied with hand and arm signals. I missed the idiot, but he does need to take a hose to bottom of that thing. It's quite dirty.

After pancakes I checked the connections and got the horn back, ready for the next amateur. Grin.

So, lots of carbs and sugar; no wonder the French call it Fat Tuesday!

*It's an industry term.

johnnyw637 Avatar
1964 MG Midget MkI
Shrove Tuesday evening here,
Traditional Tuesday mushy peas followed by a bit of Risk and world domination plus some rather nice Cumbrian ales.

Hopefully doing the traditional Brian Wednesday pilgrimage tomorrow, providing that the Diesel Ship Hobbes is running.

All the best Johnny

Attachments:
20180213_222826.jpg    66.5 KB
20180213_222826.jpg

20180213_184153.jpg    39.5 KB
20180213_222907.jpg    61.1 KB
Colonel musturd 79 Avatar
Colonel musturd 79 Michael McKinney
Winchester, VA, USA   USA
1978 MG Midget 1500 "Colonel Mustard"
1987 Pontiac Fiero "SILVER BULLET"
The first pix of the Shoulder of Mutton looks interesting,

Amore della Strada
For the love of the road

johnnyw637 Avatar
1964 MG Midget MkI
Doing more internal research as ferry crossing too rough for DS Hobbes today.

Attachments:
20180214_112111.jpg    66.9 KB
20180214_112111.jpg

20180214_211338.jpg    57.7 KB
20180214_195635.jpg    40.8 KB
Sarge101st Avatar
Carlisle, PA, USA   USA
1980 MG MGB "Piddles"
An amasing day weatherwise, with a temperature of 68 degrees (20 in Roman Catholic) which is almost unheard of for mid February.

So, opportunity taken, we cracked out all three, first Piddles then Grrr each for a go round the Circuit. Both fired straightaway though Piddles wanted just a hint of a whack with a jump-pack. The battery is getting a bit long in the tooth, but even so the mighty Pid lit off quite reasonably. Grrr fired up with no trouble at all. Even though its been a tougher winter for driving than in the last couple years, I still don't regret not putting them up but rather firing them at least on a fortnight's basis even in the cold.

Lots of fun today in no more than a flannel shirt.

Biggles went next, first up to the restaurant nearby for a hamburger w. bacon and mushrooms, then a blast round the Circuit. Suddenly, lost power and such, but aha! Fuel out the overflow pipe, so that dam floatvalve sticking (again); the dreaded Stromberg Disease.

A new valve with a finemesh filter is on the way. I'm not sure I'm a big fan of this carb, but it just might be they can't deal with the modern day faerie-piss that suffices for petrol here. Those valve tolerances seem awful susceptible to the slightest fouling...

Still, a delightful day.

smoking smiley

healey36 Avatar
healey36 Paul Raith
Westminster, MD, USA   USA
Hmpf...you're out flittin' around while I'm on the roof trying to install a couple of chimney-caps...where's the justice?

Did you get the new pump installed? Sounds like you might have the opposite problem and now your drowning the little bugger...

Paul

Sarge101st Avatar
Carlisle, PA, USA   USA
1980 MG MGB "Piddles"
My days of getting on roofs are dam sure over! I'm actually jealous, so no sympathy from here. Grin!

I haven't changed it yet, but now that I'm getting clear evidence of overfill, I'm going after that first.

It's behaviour could have been intermittent flood rather than starving, so I'll eliminate what I now have evidence of first.

We'll see!

healey36 Avatar
healey36 Paul Raith
Westminster, MD, USA   USA
In reply to # 3682054 by Sarge101st My days of getting on roofs are dam sure over! I'm actually jealous, so no sympathy from here.

Don't be jealous...once I got up there it was "Holy crap, this roof has a steep pitch" (been up there before but it was probably twenty years ago). Bagged that idea and called the squirrel-whisperer back...he'll install the caps for me. Never even got to the second stage of throwing a ladder up to the top of the chimney.

Nice weather today, snow on Saturday...take 'em when you get 'em I suppose...

zedvictor1 Avatar
zedvictor1 Steve L
Albion, WA, USA   USA
Jennings? Where's Darbishire?

johnnyw637 Avatar
1964 MG Midget MkI
In reply to # 3682344 by zedvictor1 Jennings? Where's Darbishire?

Not sure if this might be a quote from Jeeves and Wooster or some such ( I'm sure Brian will put me right). But if not Jennings is a Cumberland brewery in the far North West of England. Derbyshire is further south considered to be in Northern England, but half way between Leeds and Leicester so kinda North Midlands and famed for it's 1908 Rolls Royce factory in Derby, with a safe side one side of the road and a dangerous side on the other.

Probably not answered your point or question, but one of my better rambles.

So have a couple more pubs
Cheers Johnny

Attachments:
20180215_154539.jpg    48.9 KB
20180215_154539.jpg

20180215_154543.jpg    44.7 KB
20180216_182234.jpg    31.7 KB
Sarge101st Avatar
Carlisle, PA, USA   USA
1980 MG MGB "Piddles"
Johnny, your grasp of boys literature is appalling.

Mine isn't much better, but I believe I remember Jennings as some fellow from a non-descript town in Ford Pop-era postwar Britain who had a sidekick named Darbishire, along with a group of boys who had various adventures of sorts. My brother had a few of those; from the fifties I think...

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1964 MG Midget MkII

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links